“Good hotel”

Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I stayed here for one night while passing through Springfield. The hotel was very nice and the rooms were clean and comfortable. No complaints about hotel staff/service. There are many bars and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. Overall, I had a pleasant stay and would return again if I was in the area.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place

Reviewed April 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel while visiting relatives in Springfield. It seemed like a good location and a good deal for a suite (we have a small child and it's nice to have the extra room). However, it turned out to be a very dreary and depressing place to stay.
I would not recommend the suites to anyone, because although our room was quite large, it was also dismally dark. There was one window - and this was in the bedroom. So there was no natural light in the main room at all. The combination of halogen and flourecent lights made the place feel cavelike and dreary. I felt like I was getting Seasonal Affective Disorder just from staying there. The hotel is old and in very poor repair. Nothing worked well. Not the lights, not the remotes for the TV, not the toilet - which kept running, not the thermostats. The carpet in the room was full of multi-colored stains, the wall paper was peeling in places, there was a static coming from the overhead lights and a crackling noise from the speaker in the ceiling which we couldn't figure out how to turn off. The wireless connection is a joke - but the internet connection through the ethernet cord was fine. To make things worse, there is no soundproofing at all, it seems. The hallway outside the door is an open atrium and so not only do you get noise from people in the hallways of your floor, you get noise from people in the hallways on all the other floors! Unfortunately for us, there were large conventions of teenagers in the hotel this weekend and so it felt like being in the other room from a rowdy slumber party. The noise coming from above our room made me think that there was a bowling alley up there. There is no places to just meet with friends, unless you want to go to the hole in the wall sports bar which has the noise of pool games and television going on. The lobby is an odd missed opportunity with only one cluster of 4 chairs. Instead, the majority of the lobby is taken up by a car - an advertisement for a limo company! The downtown is dead on the weekend - and there's really nowhere to go within walking distance. There is an old mall next door - but most of the stores are closed, and when we were there the ONLY thing open in the whole place was a Dunkin Donuts.

Next time I think we'll try the Marriott next door. At least it's lobby looked a little less depressing. I don't know if it's any better -- but it could hardly be any worse.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2008

My husband booked this hotel for a one night stay because we were going to see a concert up at Tanglewood, and couldn't find something closer. The hotel is right in the middle of downtown Springfield, so it is relatively easy to find. However due to its location, parking is limited to their lot, which you have to pay for.

Generally speaking, the hotel is nice. The staff was friendly and our room was ready when we arrived. However, the hotel definitely needs some "freshening up." The carpets throughout the lobby and hallways were pretty filthy. I didn't even want my dog walking on them. Our room was very clean though, which is most important.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We stayed here for one night. The room was quiet, comfortable and mostly clean, but th carpet had some stains on it. Our room also had a great view of the city. The atrium is very pretty, and the health facility is very useful. The restaurants there have good food. Overall, it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed there this past Saturday night and it was ok. Not the Sheraton quality we are used to.

Check in and valet was quick and easy. The staff was friendly.

The room itself was clean and had updated linens. The bathroom was clean as well. We were in a preferred member room and it was ok.
It's the common areas that need help. The rugs in the hallways are filthy, the walls have dents and markings and the open air atrium just looks old. The elevators smell too!
It's needs a makeover big time.

We attempted to have lunch before we went to a wedding that night and couldn't find a decent place in the area. We would up at Champions at the Marriott but that wasn't good at all.
There was a mall but it was closed at 3pm on a Saturday. We couldn't find anything in the area. The area didn't seem that great either so we didn't want to venture to far.

We went to the Brunch the next morning in the hotel and it was not worth $15.95 per person.
It was 11:30am when we arrived and it was empty. We should have left then. The staff was ok but the food was not.
Everything had been sitting there since 8am. We had to ask for an omelet to be made and have hot food brought out. The staff didn't seem happy!

The hotel is old and needs an update sooner rather than later.

We should have stayed in West Springfield.

We did go to the Basketball Hall of Fame and that was fun!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 28, 2008

May 25, 2008
1 king room
$189/night at Sheraton.com, included 2 adult tickets to Six Flags New England (worth $80-$100) and self-parking (worth $9.95)

LOCATION
The Sheraton was right off I-91 (Exit 7). Businesses, stores, restaurants are just a walk away from the hotel. We got out of the hotel and walked around the area for dinner. The area was so quiet, with barely any people. It got scary when I noticed a lot of the stores were closed or shut down. I would prefer staying in West Springfield along RT-5.

We ate at Red Rose Pizzeria in Main St, an Italian restaurant 5 blocks away and we liked it. They had good food and huge servings. We spent $53+ for 2 people including tax.

PREMISES
The hotel lobby was a little dark, but very nice and clean. The rooms are situated around and indoor atrium. You can easily hear anyone talking in the hallways in the nearby floors because of the set up. But you don’t hear in the rooms. Check-in was a breeze and staff was friendly, but nothing out of the ordinary.

ROOM
The room was spacious, clean and smelled great. The carpet by the door had a couple of very small stains, but not very noticeable. Our room (room 1106) was very close to the elevator and had a view of the river and I-91. You could faintly hear the cars driving through by the window. But you won't hear them by the bed. The Sweet Sleeper king bed was very comfortable.

AMENITIES
Pool:
The pool was located in the Fitness Center on the 4th floor. I was only able to see the pool area. The place wasn’t crowded. There were only 2 people swimming. The pool was 50’ long and 3’-5’ deep. It had 3 lanes. The area had a hot tub, cold tub, sauna, 2-3 shower stalls, water fountain, and an access to an outdoor balcony where you can sunbathe. The pool had too much chlorine in it that I had to cut my swimming short coz my eyes were burning. I didn’t have my goggles with me. My eyes were red and bothered me the whole evening.
Wi-fi:
You could get wireless internet connection in the room for $8.95/day. Don’t get it, it’s not worth it. Connection was horrible in our room. When John called the front desk to ask where the connection is better, they didn’t know. The connection at the Business Center was better, but still not good.
Parking:
Parking was $9.95/day for self-parking or $12.95/day for valet parking. I thought it wasn’t worth it, but I got it free with the package we got. As I said earlier, I would prefer getting a hotel in West Springfield by RT-5 for the location and most of the hotels there have free parking.
Newspaper:
Usually included in the room rate is a free daily newspaper. But you can get $0.75 credit if you cancel delivery of the newspaper by calling the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in April 2002, 2004, and 2005 for the New England District of Key Clubs Conventions. It has a good gymnasium, a pool with hottubs, cold tubs, showers, and a sauna and a waterfountain to replenish yourself. The hallway where the rooms are looks out over an open atrium so you can see people sitting in the lobby and in the lounge from standing outside your room. The room windows overlook the Downtown Springfield area and the Courthouse. The rooms are comfortable and quiet, and the hotel is attached by a catwalk to a shopping mall called Tower Square. A great hotel complex and I would stay there again anytime I go to the Springfield area.

Stayed: April 2004, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Tower Square Hotel Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#5 of 17 in West Springfield
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 8 in Springfield

Been to Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place? Share your experiences!