“Big Disappointment!!!”

Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed January 27, 2014

First time staying at a Sheraton, and it was a big disappointment! To get cool air in our room, we had to put the fan on auto and adjust the temp to where we wanted it, ok, understood. However, this was told to us after the 2nd visit to the front desk. The first visit was at 3:30 in the morning because we both woke up sweating in an 80 degree room. The clerk at the desk told me to put on the fan and that should help, when I asked him what the check out policy was since we were to stay another night, and I was not staying in a hot room again, he just told me as early as we could let them know. It did not faze him that we were sleeping with the windows open, a whole 2 inches and listening to the noise from I-91, the birds and the emergency vehicles. It also didn’t bother him that we were thinking of leaving and no attempt was made by him to help us. He laughed as I walked away and said I was going to come back and sleep in the lobby where it was cool. The next morning we spoke to another clerk who explained that we needed to put the fan on auto and at the temperature we wanted and that would cool the room down. If it didn’t, let him know and he would send someone up. We went to our “continental breakfast” in the club lounge, where we left because there were very limited offerings and went down to Picks for breakfast. We were not offered a choice of buffet or a menu, we were told to help ourselves to the buffet. After $30 for two omelets, coffee, juice and some fruit, we left for the day. Upon returning to the hotel and our room, the temperature was at 80 degrees again! This time when we went down to the desk we spoke to the bellman and he sent up the mechanic right then, and we went to have hors devorves in the Club Lounge, this was enjoyable. 45 minutes later, back in our room, the bellman came to our room and told us that yes there was something wrong with the heat. He then gave us a key to a new room, and coupons for a free breakfast at Picks for the next morning. He did offer to help move us to our new room. It should not have taken 3 times for someone to finally address the problem. The coupons for the breakfast was a nice touch, however, more compensation should have been offered for our inconvenience. Other issues, the beds felt like you were sleeping in a hole. I kept rolling into the middle. Also, the parking lot is not the best situated at $12 a night, it is very tight quarters and not easy to maneuver around. The staff that did help us at the end was professional and helpful, but again it should not have taken 3 times. If a customer is at the front desk at 3:30 in the morning, there is a problem! We have reservations for a Sheraton in Burlington, VT, in October with a group of friends, we hope that we have a better experience at that one!

Room Tip: Make sure that you know how to use the heat/air!!!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara Y
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Thank you for sharing with me your comments regarding your recent stay. I am truly sorry you experienced the issues you did and the communication was not as clear or timely as it should have been.

I also have responded to both your customer assistance file and the online survey that you were kind enough to submit. If you were to read many of the wonderful reviews here on TripAdvisor, you will see that your experience is not a typical one.

I do sincerely apologize and hope you will afford us another opportunity to show we do have a wonderful hotel.

There are newer reviews for Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place

Reviewed January 2, 2014

The kids and I decided to visit the Springfield Quadrangle Museums the weekend after Christmas. We chose Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place because it's conveniently located, blocks away from the Quad. We didn't work though since it was cold, the streets were eerily quiet and the Quad offered free parking.

This is our second time staying at this hotel. The front desk staff was polite and efficient. We needed a rollaway bed (for $20 extra). By the time we walked away from the front desk, took the elevator and walked to our room, the bed was already rolling into the room.

All the rooms at this hotel face the indoor atrium. May be because it was off season, the hotel was super quiet (which we appreciated). We were also thankful that the underground garage was quite empty. I remember it being nightmarish last time because it is a very narrow and poorly labeled garage. People were going the wrong way in a narrow one-way alley. If you are not comfortable driving in tight NYC-style underground garages, you're better off parking across the street and walking to the hotel via the glass corridor / bridge.

We didn't try the restaurant this time (since we didn't have a good experience last time). We bought snacks from the front desk instead. Need I say it's very expensive? A bag of chips and a bag of chocolate pretzels cost $7. Of course, we were too lazy to brave the cold for snacks so we paid for the convenience.

We'll stay here again as long as the price is right.

Room Tip: The ice & vending machines are not shown on the map of the hotel room doors but they are located...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. I an pleased you found the hotel to be clean and well appointed as well as our location convenient. There are many areas close by to the hotel that are family friendly as you know one being the Quadrangle. I hope you will afford us another opportunity to show we do have a great property and I would invite you to give PICKS another chance. We have made some changes in the menu that I know you'll appreciate.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Had a great stay at this hotel. Very large hotel with many rooms in the heart of downtown. I was there xmas week so the hotel was empty that weekend. I can see that it has the potential of being very noisy so I wouldn't recommend this place for a quiet getaway. Overall it's a great hotel with nice check in staff and good amenities. The parking lot is a little spooky didn't really feel safe although they said they have cameras I didn't see any, but I'm just not a fan of underground lots. Also a little pricey at $12.95. I may come here again as I have friends in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing and we certainly appreciate your business. We certainly have a wonderful design as well as location as you were kind enough to point out. Noise can be an issue at times depending on the make up of our business. When we expect to have some challenges, we employ additional security and add staff. We do have cameras in the garage as well as security who has rounds throughout as a normal part of their shift. We hope to see you back when your travels bring you back to the Springfield area.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Only stayed for one night on my way to somewhere else. Had reserved 3 rooms, and location was good, easy to find. Hotel was nice, clean . Big issue was they have heat or nothing, and all of us in 3 rooms roasted , cooked all nite long. Found out in the am when I asked, they said air doesn't work in winter and heat will keep working unless you shut it off and put on fan. Umm with as warm as it was in the east coast, you could've told us that when we checked in! Very disappointed that we had to be so uncomfortable all night , kept turning heat down trying to get cool air in room , and I was doing that for nothing. The guy at front desk acted like it was normal, and I should've known what to do .

1  Thank Theresa1771
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing with me your experience during your recent stay. As I had stated in your review on another site, we did not communicate clearly to you. Our property utilizes an energy management system for our guest rooms. Our valued guests can control the temperatures with in the guest room between the range of 67' - 74', we have found that this is quite comfortable. We hope to see you back.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I stayed at the Sheraton Monarch in October while there was a reunion taking place, everyone was in high spirits and I was asked if I was part of the reunion as I entered the hotel elevator from the parking garage across the street, as the garage at the hotel was full. Check-in was very pleasant, and the front desk staff welcoming. The public areas and lobby were clean, beautiful and well maintained. I received a room on the club floor and a hand with my bag. The room had a good view of downtown Springfield, was spacious, clean, the bathroom had a large tub and was perfect end to the day. The bed and pillows very comfortable, great nights sleep. I stayed just the one night but found myself wanting to stay another. However, had to get back for appointments. Check-out was a breeze, and the porter helped me with my bag to my car. The best!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing, we are pleased you enjoyed yourself and that you found our hotel clean and well appointed. I will be sure to share your survey with our front office associates. Our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper is a wonderful bed that provides a great nights rest.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

My family went to Christmas with.Santa,and the food was great. The hotel was clean and beautiful. The management was friendly. I would recommend to go to it. The price of the meal included tickets to the festival of trees, and we got free parking.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing! I am glad you enjoyed yourself, I will be sure to share your comments with our culinary team and associates. We hope you will visit us again, should your travels bring you to our great City of Springfield Massachusetts.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

We have stayed at the Sheraton Monarch several times over the years while visiting relatives in Springfield. We usually prefer to stay at small chain or boutique hotels, but that is not really an option in Springfield. This is the *best* version of the business traveler/chain hotel. The hotel is big, clean, well maintained with good friendly service. Check in (on Thanksgiving Day) was quick, breezy and friendly. We had adjoining rooms as we were traveling with small children. Again, the rooms were well maintained, odorless (a big thing for me in a massive hotel), with comfortable beds. We had a nice view of the river. There is a bright indoor pool that our children loved, as well as a a sauna and a decent fitness center. Room service was prompt and as good as you expect room service to be (french onion soup was nice and warm, caesar salad nice and crispy.) I know I seem to be praising the hotel for things you would just expect to be done right, but my experience with hilton/sheraton/marriots is that the quality is incredibly uneven based on ownership and management. And especially in a place like Springfield -- where a lot is in decline -- this hotel shines. I am the kind of person who finds something to complain about at most places (the room smells, the furniture is chipped, room service is un responsive). And this is a good spot to camp out with your family if you need to be in Springfield. Only downsides: they charge for the internet like most chains -- and there is only cable options on the TV, no pay per view movies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Paul M, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

thank you for the wonderful review, I am pleased to learn you found the service, cleanliness and decor warm and inviting. I will be sure to share with our staff your kind comments. The City has a lot to offer, we feature many first class restaurants and family activities alike. We hope you will return when you are in the area again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Tower Square Hotel Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#5 of 17 in West Springfield
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 8 in Springfield

Been to Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place? Share your experiences!