“The dorm room is a good description”

Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Alexandria, VA
“The dorm room is a good description”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We stayed here on a weekend night, and got to our room at 10:00pm expecting to be able to get some sleep. There was a salsa festival going on on the second floor, and the sound resonates all the way to the top of the hotel. When we called down to the front desk, they said the party would be going on until 12:30am. The music ended then, but the yelling and partying that goes along with a salsa festival continued much later into the morning.

Although they can't do anything to fix the 1970's design of the building, the management can fix the noise issue it seems that so many people have a problem with by not booking any events past 9pm. Otherwise, I have to say I won't be back.

Rooms have been tastefully decorated, but the lighting is miserable. The CFL lights in the bathroom take longer to warm up than they should. Bathroom lighting is something you need to have immediately, not to turn on and then come back in 10 minutes when you can actually see.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Southbury, Connecticut
Reviewed March 5, 2011

The hotel has what appears to be really recent renovations. I looks far more higher end that you would expect. The rooms were clean ( and I'm fanatical about that). The hotel wasn't loud - but i used the fan on the heating system, nonetheless.

The lobby was gorgeous and NO, the parking was not confusing. Has that person ever been a parking garage before?

We didn't eat in the restaurant but there was several delicious restaurants within walking distance. Cafe Lebanon had great Hommous.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
New Hampshire
Reviewed March 1, 2011

Chose this hotel due to it's close location to Symphony Hall. The hotel was very clean, and only 1 block from Symphony Hall.
We had an advance reservation for $89, and due to the hotels low occupancy on our Saturday night stay, we requested a room on the top floor(Club Level) and free breakfast. The hotel management was fantastic and honored our upgrade request.
The Club Level Lounge is only open M-F.
Parking is $9.95, and that's very resonable. The Marriott next door charges $15. Make sure you check-in before going to the parking garage, your key card is used to enter/exit the garage.
To get to The Club Level rooms, you need to use your key card in the elevator. Our room had 2 queen beds, a jet tub, and like previous reviews have mentioned, the furniture is well worn. The beds are a little soft, but still very comfy. The TV is not a modern flat panel, but the picture is still very clear. The room was spotless.
The pool/excersise area is also very clean, but with 325 rooms, it doesn't take long for the pool to become crowded. The hot tubs are being replaced, and won't be ready for another month. The hotel employee at the Customer Desk in the lobby was very helpful, and told us about several good places to eat w/in 5min. walk of the hotel. We walked to a couple local resteraunts, Symphony Hall, and back to the hotel at 11pm. We never felt unsafe during our walk, but, just remember you are in a big city, and use common sense.
We never had an issue with noise echoing through the Atrium.
Breakfast was outstanding!! The chef prepares cooked-to-order omelets, and there are also some unusual tasty items.
The Basketball Hall Of Fame, and Springfield Armory are only a 5min. drive form the hotel. I also highly recommend touring the Titanic Museum in nearby Indian Orchard. It's very small, and the hours are limited, but it was a hidden gem.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weege123
Falcon_Mgt, General Manager at Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place, responded to this review, March 15, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel. Our staff takes pride in delivering a branded experience to all of our guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Warm Regards
Dan
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed February 15, 2011

The room was nice and as far as I could tell, it was clean. The parking was confusing and difficult and cost $10 if you are staying at the hotel. My boyfriend and I stayed here for a 1 night getaway to celebrate Valentines day away from our hectic lifestyles. This is NOT what we got! After getting some $11 drinks at the bar we decided to call it a night around midnight. The blanket on the bed was so full of electricity that every move we made would give a shock and literally light up the room with sparks! Every sound in the hotel echos; the whole night it sounded like there was a party going on until 3:30am when it sounded like a brawl. There was screaming and it was to the point where I was actually scared. About 15 minutes after the commotion I walked out of the room to see what had happened. There were people all over the hotel who had been woken up and were doing the same. The curtains in the room were sheer so the room was full of sunlight by 7am. In all I got about 2.5 hours of sleep. At check out when we brought the noise issue up to the front desk staff, we were told that they were aware of the "domestic dispute" that took place at 3:30, however, there was no other noise throughout the night. In other words, I must have been lying about the noice that kept me awake from 12:00-3:30. We were told by the staff that although she was sorry about our bad experience, the only thing she could do was to waive our $10 parking charge because it was the only additional charge we had to our room. I thought the situation was handled very poorly and I would not recommend this hotel. It is over priced and just like the other review said, it is like staying in a college dorm all over again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stellabella729
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. First let me aplogize for all of the issues you addressed in your comments. The noise is an issue we have Security and a manager on duty, we do ask noisy guests once to cease and return to their room, a second call can result in eviction.The sheers are standard and conform to starwood hotels standards , i will investigate the light levels in your room.

Our hotel has exceeded brand targets in overall guest satisfaction the first two months this year, and hope you will give us an opprtunity to redeemm opurselves and win your loyalty.
warm Regards
Dan

Travelers are raving about these Springfield hotels

Globe trotters
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Wow - the renovations to this hotel
Looks great. I appreciated how clean everything looked, especially the sheets. I thought the atrium aspect was pretty cool and hip. Also, when 12 inches of snow fell over the night, I was so thrilled I choose a hotel
With covered parking!!!!

• Stayed January 2011
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I am an "industry insider" who works in corporate level operations for one of the top 5 international hotel brands - I was at this hotel attending a conference so the room was included for free (the only reason I was using a starwood brand).

This hotel has 12 or so floors with rooms arranged in a triangle configuration facing the atrium. The second and third floors are all meeting space / lounges / restaurant / bar which are also open to the central atrium. This means that all the noise from whatever function is going on on the second and third floor will resonate and echo all the way to the top of the hotel, effecting every room. It reminded me of dorm in college. Music and loud voices kept me up until around 1am or later on both Saturday and Sunday night of my stay. Any loud noise - whether it be a crying baby, music, a loud voice, a dropped room service tray - will echo through this atrium and be heard in the guestrooms. Two weddings were being held on Saturday night...needless to say I had a horrible nights sleep. To add to the dorm feel - the sheets are a very low thread count - worse than the absolute cheapest budget sheets I purchased at walmart when I was in college. The experience really brought me back, it was almost nostalgic. The bathroom is poorly lighted - why they chose dim light bulbs I cannot imagine - maybe so they have to clean less. There is a charge for everything - breakfast / coffee / parking / internet. The internet is $9+ for 24 hours and is only fast enough for the most basic browsing (a youtube video would take minutes to load) - for my uses it was worthless. Breakfast was available for around $8 for continental or $15 for buffet - I was told the continental was not available so I had to get the buffet - I recommend going somewhere else for breakfast as the buffet was lousy and definitely over priced. The food at the bar was average. I can't say much for service as I only interacted with staff and check in and check out. My room appeared clean - there was an empty tic-tac container in the closet - this makes me wonder what else they neglected to clean. The hotel overall is due for an update.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
derby line, vermont
Reviewed November 16, 2010

It was a little confusing how to park and check in and how to receive free parking. We were disappointed that the pool was cold and the jacuzzi wasn't working. There was no place to eat except for a sports bar that we weren't interested in. We traveled to West Springfield to find a place to eat. On the other hand, the room was nice, clean and modern. We travel to the Springfield area several times a year. We will give it another chance. However, if the same problems exist, we probably will not try it again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Springfield Marriott
Springfield Marriott
#6 of 8 in Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#3 of 17 in West Springfield
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 8 in Springfield

Been to Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place? Share your experiences!