“Perfect view of Fireworks on July 4th!”

Tower Square Hotel Springfield
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Reviewed July 6, 2009

PRICE and HOW I ENDED UP STAYING HERE:

Alright, so basically my girlfriend had her families 4th of July party to go to in Enfield, CT (10 minutes from the hotel). She didn't however want to sleep at her relatives house so I needed to find a hotel, enter TRIPADVISOR! I read a number of reviews of the places around Springfield and I wasn't really impressed by anything. I was going to stay at the Days Inn ($70 a night) in West Springfield. I had about booked the reservation when last minute I saw on Orbitz there was a save 20% on select hotels July 4th. I read that this hotel had the best reviews so I checked the prices. The Marriott is running a summer special that when you stay you also get 4 free movie tickets as well. So at the point I decided it was a good enough deal to justify staying here, I bit the bullet and got a room with breakfast included. It was $160 with parking and all the taxes.

The ROOM:
The room was very nice! There was a large flatscreen LCD tv which had several HD channels. An annoying thing was that there were no free music channels on the TV. It was 10 cents a song!! Are you kidding me? There was no free wi-fi, again this is 2009 here free wi-fi is a must. There was a high speed hookup but that was pricey. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was adequate but I wished this room had a whirlpool bath or a larger shower area at least. The bathroom was a little cramped. I liked the shampoo, soap, and conditioner they gave you it was very nice smelling and it treated my hair nicely(SO FRESH AND SO CLEAN CLEAN!). I saw in the room catalog, yes room catalog, because everything in your room was for sale in this catalog(TV, BED, DESK, SHEETS, etc.) oh capitalism!...haha...anyways, I saw in the catalog that the shampoo, conditioner and soap they provided are each about $12 a bottle. wha what!?

THE VIEW:
I stayed in 1505 and I had a perfect view of the bridge where the firework were launched off of. This was actually why I picked the hotel because it was soo close to the fireworks. I had no idea however, that I was going to get this kind of view of the fireworks! Awesome. Watching the show from up there is something I will remember for the rest of my life. It was a real spectacle. On top of that you can see all across the horizon firework shows from other cities and towns. It was perfect. The people below were sweating in the heat to catch a glimpse of the firework show while I was in my air conditioned room with a perfect view, my girlfriend and I sipping champagne!! I felt like a king!

BREAKFAST:
Breakfast was delicious and very well done. I think sometimes buffet breakfasts can be hit or miss. This was a hit but if you don't have it included in your stay it could be very expensive. It was $16.00+ a person! For my girlfriend and I the bill would have been $34.00+!!! If you get it included in your room it's only $20. So basically the food is good but don't eat here if you didn't get it included in your stay. The coffee is Starbucks and the breakfast included everything. Pancakes, Muffins, omelets made to order, waffles, etc...everything was delicious that I tried.

OVERALL:
This hotel is good for what it is. If you need somewhere to stay on the 4th stay here for the view...otherwise it's a bit pricey unless you have a coupon. Also, parking wasn't an issue as some other reviews had said. You just go into the parking garage level c and then take the elevator down to get to the hotel. They give you a key card which you then you use to exit or enter. I had no problems with this. Parking was $13. There was also room service and the prices weren't too outrageous, probably about the same as if you went out to eat at Chilis or Outback or sumtin. I can't speak to the foods quality because I didn't order anything but they had a large variety and plenty of snacks. Lastly, the girl at the front desk and our waitress at breakfast were both very friendly and very helpful so I can confirm what other people said about the great service.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Fumus

Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed here when I was in town for the MA Library Association Conference which was right up the street. This hotel is a nice Marriot hotel in the middle of a sort of transitional neighborhood in Springfield. I was able to find street parking so don't bother with the garage unless you want covered parking.

I asked for a quiet room and was given a good sized room with a lovely view of the river but unfortunately also of I-91. I asked for a quiter room and was immediately given one across the hall with no hassle at all. This room faced the outdoor area outside the pool on the 6th floor and was pretty and quieter. Everything in the room was new looking and worked fine. The flat screen TVs have input jacks so you can plug in your laptop if you have RCA cables. The beds were comfortable and the bedding was clean and cozy. The Dr. Seuss artwork was a nice touch and a welcome change from the usual drab hotel artwork.

The bathroom was a little on the small side; you can't close the door when you're using the toilet or your knees hit the door. The sink is outside the toilet/shower area in its own location. The room came with a mini-fridge and a sort of poozly coffeemaker that made decent but unexciting coffee. The noon checkout time was great for late sleepers like me. There were more pillows than I knew what to do with. There were many good places to eat nearby including Empire Pizza who delivers to the hotel until 3 am on weekends and made amazing food. The pool and hot tub were both larger than the ones you usually see at hotels and open later.

My only real complaint about this place was that the wireless internet came with a confusing sign-up process and an additional fee. While I'm used to this by now, it would be nice to have this included in the price of the room. I was able to get some random wifi signal from my room so didn't use this at all. All the staff who I interacted with were incredibly courteous without being either snooty or haughty. I enjoyed my time spent here a good deal.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2009

I was satisfied with my stay at the Marriott. The hotel is centrally located and had good amenities including a sports bar and full scale restaurant (ordered in one night..the food was fine but not great). There is a large pool and adequate workout facility as well. There is a small mall attached to the facility but the stores were generally closed when I was there. A complementary business center with two computers is also available.

The rooms are average sized but in very good condition and have comfortable beds and quality furnishings. One flaw was that the bathroom sinks were small - similar to many NYC and Chicago hotels. There was a very nice new HDTV in the room as well. If you are facing the river, you may pick up some background highway noise, so keep that in mind if you are a light sleeper.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2009

The Springfield Marriot was a great choice for us as we were in town to visit the Basketball Hall of Fame. I put in a request for adjoining rooms when I made the reservation and although they couldn't guarantee it at that time we were accomodated. The rooms were fresh, clean, very quiet and the beds were quite comfortable. The bathrooms were a little small but that's really the only criticism. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet that was included in our package and had a great casual dinner at Champions, the sports themed bar/restaurant.

We would definitely choose the Springfield Marriott again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2009

Marriott Gold Member I stay in a lot of Marriott hotels.

Location is OK. I arrived after dark in the snow while working for one day in Springfield.

Parking is a little wierd. The hotel has self park only and this is in a parking structure that is adjacent to the hotel.

Rom was great.
Quiet heater, good sound insulation frm other rooms and from the outside.
Nice bed in a warm room.
I loved the package of a free Pizza, free soda and one pay per view movie included in the price.

Food at the onsite resturaunt was also good.

Would reccomend this hotel and I will stay there again if I am ever in Springfield again

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I am thinking of my stay in two parts. First, I got a great price on Priceline, and if I think of it in those terms, I have absolutely no complaints. However, had I paid rack rate for this hotel, I would have had some issues.

The hotel is conveniently situated off two major interstates and I had no problem finding it. It is in the downtown area, which appears a little seedy, but I never felt unsafe, just a typical downtown.

I checked in after a 13 hour travel day and was just exhausted. My room was across from the elevators and I was a little concerned, but that turned out to be a non-issue. The carpet in my room, upon my arrival, had been freshly cleaned and was still slightly damp in areas. I debated asking for a different room, but was so tired I decided against it, figuring the carpet would be dry the next day and I was just going to sleep that night anyway. And hey, at least I knew it was clean! But 3 days later, upon check-out, there were still areas of the carpet that were damp! Luckily I was gone from the room for most of my stay and when I was in it I just kept my slippers on.

I had signed up for the wireless internet access and really needed to get online before I went to bed that first night. After an hour on the phone w/tech support, I was still unable to stay connected. I wound up using the hard wire access for my entire stay. I am pretty computer literate and this was not an issue with my computer, but definitely a hotel issue. However, they did not charge me the access fee for that day.

Internet is $9.95 daily and parking is indeed $13.00/day as others mentioned, again, if I had paid full price for the hotel, it would have been harder to swallow.

Everyone in the hotel was extremely nice to me save a woman who appeared to be the day manager one morning. I went to the lobby in search of coffee, having already drank the in room coffee provided. There is no coffee station in the lobby like a lot of hotels, and it was obvious I was bothering her by asking about it - she told me to go to Dunkin Donuts (which IS close by).

My room was fine in general aside from the carpet. And while the whole hotel has gone non-smoking, my floor must have been a smoking one in the past since I caught whiffs of old smoke in both the room and the hallways throughout my stay. Nothing terrible, but evident. Bed is very comfy and I do love their line of toiletries. No refrigerator, which was disappointing, and $4.00 bottled water.

Bathroom area is very small but recently remodeled. Oddly, there is only one towel rack in the whole bathroom and that is in the shower. Don't know if they just forgot to put them up? A little odd and not conducive to reusing towels.

I did not eat at either restaurant so cannot comment on the food.

Bottom line, this Marriott will nickel and dime you to death. They have a way to go to deserve the price they regularly charge, and I would not stay here if I had to pay full price, but for my purposes and for the price I paid it was a good deal.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank puravida2
Reviewed May 9, 2008

This is a very nice hotel. We stayed one night mid-week. Very clean, beautiful comfortable beds. Lots of really nice pillows.

We got this two rooms on Priceline for 60.00 ea and awesome price.

There are two restaurants. One is a pub the other is upscale, good food but very pricey.

Parking is not included, $13.00 a day in May of 2008. Nice view. Nothing really to do downtown unless you like clubbing.

A great place to use as a base to visit the local area. Nice proximity to Vermont, Connecticut, etc.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
0 mi away
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 8 in Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#3 of 17 in West Springfield

Been to Tower Square Hotel Springfield? Share your experiences!