“Great for what I paid”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Springfield
Alajuela, Costa Rica
“Great for what I paid”
Reviewed May 15, 2008

I am thinking of my stay in two parts. First, I got a great price on Priceline, and if I think of it in those terms, I have absolutely no complaints. However, had I paid rack rate for this hotel, I would have had some issues.

The hotel is conveniently situated off two major interstates and I had no problem finding it. It is in the downtown area, which appears a little seedy, but I never felt unsafe, just a typical downtown.

I checked in after a 13 hour travel day and was just exhausted. My room was across from the elevators and I was a little concerned, but that turned out to be a non-issue. The carpet in my room, upon my arrival, had been freshly cleaned and was still slightly damp in areas. I debated asking for a different room, but was so tired I decided against it, figuring the carpet would be dry the next day and I was just going to sleep that night anyway. And hey, at least I knew it was clean! But 3 days later, upon check-out, there were still areas of the carpet that were damp! Luckily I was gone from the room for most of my stay and when I was in it I just kept my slippers on.

I had signed up for the wireless internet access and really needed to get online before I went to bed that first night. After an hour on the phone w/tech support, I was still unable to stay connected. I wound up using the hard wire access for my entire stay. I am pretty computer literate and this was not an issue with my computer, but definitely a hotel issue. However, they did not charge me the access fee for that day.

Internet is $9.95 daily and parking is indeed $13.00/day as others mentioned, again, if I had paid full price for the hotel, it would have been harder to swallow.

Everyone in the hotel was extremely nice to me save a woman who appeared to be the day manager one morning. I went to the lobby in search of coffee, having already drank the in room coffee provided. There is no coffee station in the lobby like a lot of hotels, and it was obvious I was bothering her by asking about it - she told me to go to Dunkin Donuts (which IS close by).

My room was fine in general aside from the carpet. And while the whole hotel has gone non-smoking, my floor must have been a smoking one in the past since I caught whiffs of old smoke in both the room and the hallways throughout my stay. Nothing terrible, but evident. Bed is very comfy and I do love their line of toiletries. No refrigerator, which was disappointing, and $4.00 bottled water.

Bathroom area is very small but recently remodeled. Oddly, there is only one towel rack in the whole bathroom and that is in the shower. Don't know if they just forgot to put them up? A little odd and not conducive to reusing towels.

I did not eat at either restaurant so cannot comment on the food.

Bottom line, this Marriott will nickel and dime you to death. They have a way to go to deserve the price they regularly charge, and I would not stay here if I had to pay full price, but for my purposes and for the price I paid it was a good deal.

• Liked — The Marriott amenities (bed, tolietries) are hard to beat
  • Disliked — Damp carpet, have to pay for internet
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank puravida2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New England
Reviewed May 9, 2008

This is a very nice hotel. We stayed one night mid-week. Very clean, beautiful comfortable beds. Lots of really nice pillows.

We got this two rooms on Priceline for 60.00 ea and awesome price.

There are two restaurants. One is a pub the other is upscale, good food but very pricey.

Parking is not included, $13.00 a day in May of 2008. Nice view. Nothing really to do downtown unless you like clubbing.

A great place to use as a base to visit the local area. Nice proximity to Vermont, Connecticut, etc.

• Liked — Beds!
  • Disliked — Paying for parking
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
Sussex, New Jersey
Reviewed September 27, 2007

I spent three days at the Springfield Marriott in May 2007 for a business conference. The conference included all of our meals, so we never really left the hotel.
I was given a handicap accessible room, so it was right by the elevator. I had a view of the courtyard, which was nice compared to my coworkers' view on the other side of the building which was of a highway. I especially loved my bed. It was large and comfortable and the bedding just seemed cleaner and nicer than most hotels. My room was clean, and I was pleased to find a newspaper in front of my door each morning.
As a vegetarian, meals are always a concern for me. Especially when the meals are picked out for me, such as in a meeting environment. I requested vegetarian fare which was prepared for me, and then taken by another guest. I wasn't happy about that because I was forced to eat salad and bread from the regular dinner. The next night I made sure that I got my vegetarian dinner and kept a close watch on the guest who had taken it last time! We also had a cocktail party the first evening which was very nice. The bar did not have Malibu rum, which I think is a pretty commonly requested alcohol, but overall the evening was very nice. All the servers were polite and attentive.
The hotel overall was very spacious and perfect for a conference. The courtyard in the back is nice for stepping outside for some air. We took a walk away from the hotel one time and decided not to do it again. There isn't much worth seeing within walking distance.
Overall, this hotel was very nice, and I would stay there again.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Surrounding area
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank jetsica
europe
Reviewed July 3, 2007

We stayed at the Springfield Marriot just one night. Staff helpful, hotel OK, free internet access because we stayed only one night, false fire alarme but nothing serious (midnight in the lobby, barefoot guest in pajamas mixed witn celebrating families in their finest...) BUT : if your aim in Springfield is only the Basketball House of Fame, choose rather the Hilton garden hill. It's less expensive, offers free parking space, and is just opposite the Hall.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank haor
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed October 11, 2006

Best hotel in the area. Great room and location. I enjoyed a wonderful view of the river from my room.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Cuse5
New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2006

Very clean and good quality Hotel. The location is so convienent to downtown, museum and forest park. Excellent Services. Nice heated pool, not crowded at all. Hot Tub is so relaxing. Fitness Center is clean and quiet. I enjoyed so much for this trip for using their facilty. Except I have to pay $13 per day for parking.

5 Thank The-Best-Traveler
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 8, 2006

Beautiful hotel right in the middle of downtown Springfield - within an easy walk to the convention center or new basketball hall of fame. Parking was $13 per day - but expected given the great location. The hotel service and appearance were also top notch. This has to be one of Marriott's best M.A. hotels west of Boston.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Naomi's Inn
Naomi's Inn
#4 of 8 in Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#5 of 17 in West Springfield

Been to Tower Square Hotel Springfield? Share your experiences!