“Best French Dip I've Ever Had”
Review of Max's Tavern

Max's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 329 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.
Burlington, NJ
“Best French Dip I've Ever Had”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Ate here for lunch, and I seriously had the best french dip I've ever had at any restaurant. I don't know if it was the excellent roast beef, the horseradish sauce, or the incredible au jus - or maybe the combination of these elements - but it was incredible. I love a good french dip, so I've ordered them at places all over the country, and nobody beat this one.

I would have given this place a 5 except for the fact that I wasn't a big fan of the hand cut fries that come with the french dip. They needed something else, they were just a little too plain for me.

If you like french dips, try one out here! I was beyond impressed.

• Visited August 2013

Concord, NH
“A little bit of good food for a LOT of MONEY”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Excellent service; well trained staff
Food was good, but pricey...I had a small portion of penne pasta in a large dish for just under $20. Wife had a Roast Beef Sandwich (au jus) with fries - $8.00 in any sandwich shop - for double that. The lead item on the 'Specials' menu was a $47 steak.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Art R
Miami, Florida
“Excellent”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great food, with huge portions. Friendly and professional staff. Try the oysters, they come in fresh.

Visited July 2013
East Hartford, Connecticut
“Not worth the price”
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We went here with friends who love the place. It was our first time and we were surprisingly quite disappointed. For me, the food was good but not worth the price. For my wife, it was dreadful.
The corn chowder soup was very good, as was the garlic bread appetizer. My steak entree was good, but I wasn't blown away. I'm not a big steak lover, so I'm far from an expert on them - so take my comment in context. My wife had a salad and hated it. There wasn't a thing she liked about it. I didn't like it just looking at it - the portion was small and the lettuce was basic iceberg- and from the bottom of the head at that. The creme brûlée dessert was good, not great.
Service was very attentive. They did make one mistake on my order, which I didn't bother to correct. Bottom line is that for the $70+ dollars that are no longer in my wallet (we had one drink total), it was very disappointing.
The rest of the party seemed to enjoy their meals, so maybe it was just us. We won't be planning on coming back ourselves.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank KDAA
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Easter Dinner”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My husband and I had heard of Max's Tavern and how good it was supposed to be, so for Easter dinner, and my mini vacation from cooking for a holiday, we went. Our server was knowledgeable about the menu and made good suggestions. The food was cooked beautifullly and was delicious. Our dessersts were also very good. Although it's a bit pricey, ($170 for 2 ppl), it's a lovely place to celebrate a special occasion or just have a nice, romantic night out. If you're on a budget, you can still enjoy a nice entree and just cut out some or all of the extras: appetizers/ salads/ alcohol and dessert. I really enjoyed Max's Tavern and I'm sure we'll go again.

Visited March 2013