“Gone downhill”
Review of Max's Tavern

Max's Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 337 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Hartford's premier restaurant group has opened in Springfield, Massachusetts at the newly renovated, state-of-the-art Basketball Hall of Fame, Max's Tavern promises to deliver the same dining experience that our Connecticut customers have come to know and expect. Open daily for lunch and dinner, Max's Tavern innovative menu will feature contemporary American cuisine including some of Max's favorite "Chop House" classics. Max is the exclusive caterer for all Hall of Fame special events. Host your next function on Center Court, Jam Session, the Mass Mutual Room or in the private dining room of Max's Tavern. So whether you are a sports fanatic or a dining enthusiast, complete your next tour of the Hall of Fame with a trip to Max's Tavern.
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Yikes, what happened? Max Tavern used to be pretty decent but the last few times have been so disappointing, we vowed to never return. My husband always used to order the Cowboy steak which used to be a top quality thick tender ribeye, everything you'd expect from a 37.00 steak. The last few times he ordered it, its been a different piece of meat. Thinner, tougher and clearly a lesser quality piece of meat. Now its a low quality steak for a premium price--no thanks. Did they think people wouldn't notice? My favorite on the menu has always been the tuna tacos. Last night when we went, the tacos were not good; the tuna 'gristle' was left on instead of trimmed, and you can't chew through the stuff. Ultimately led to having to try and discreetly keep spitting these portions out into my napkin. Yuck! Rawbar is fine but don't order the crab claws--they are a joke! Finally, I question any restaurant that serves maple bourbon glazed sweet potatoes with apple smoked bacon brasied collard greens year round including spring and summer. To me, that is a very "autumn"y meal. I prefer restaurants that change the menu a little to reflect what is in season. We do like the Max restaurants but Max Tavern seems like the "ugly stepchild" of the Max chain.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I'll admit, I was unprepared, as we had just arrived in Springfield and were staying at the nearby Hilton Garden. When we saw the sign for Max's Tavern - we just assumed it was your average tavern with the usual menu. We were wrong. First, the menu - its limited, and expensive. Your looking at starting at $27 for an entree, and most higher. We would up making choices based on price, and in our case we found fish and chips for $19. Good fish and chips, great service, and the atmosphere reminded us of a restaurant you would find in Vegas or New York. If you go, you will enjoy the experience, though it is an expensive night out.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We recently joined friends for what we were expecting to be a relaxing dinner together at the end of a very stressful week for all. Max's has always been reputable for their nice atmosphere and excellent food so we chose this restaurant as the place to meet on a Friday evening.

Shortly after reviewing the menu, the fire alarms went off. The patrons didn't know what to do, should we evacuate or stay? Where is our waiter and why are the alarms continuing to go off? A few patrons got up, not sure if they were finished or decided to vacate the premises but most stayed. Evidently it was safe as we were not told we had to leave. We ordered apps and dinner while the alarms contined to go off, expecting they would stop any minute. But for the next half hour we had to hear, "alert, alert, vacate the premises immediately...alert, alert". We were sorry that we had even ordered because we now had headaches listening to the alarm.

This is just unacceptable. How about trying to hold a conversation with this?

The food was good once we received it but unfortunately the alarm ruined what was supposed to be a nice, relaxing evening.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We were lucky to find a booth in the bar thus avoiding g the 2 hour wait because we didn't have a reservation! Score one for us! Food was great, good cocktails and great service. Hubby had prime rib that was fabulous. I opted for a burger which was just as good. Had the mussels as an app... Good but I'm not a big fan of chorizo ( too smokey) but the mussels themselves were perfect. Can never go wrong with a max group restaurant!

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Not being from the area, but just coming back from the airport, we decided that if we could get in (since it is close to the highway), we would try it. The hostess said that the wait was 1.5 hours, so we started to leave. Then she mentioned that the bar area seating was first come first served, and that a table was just getting up. We were able to nab the table, so we stayed (and I'm glad we did). My wife had been traveling all day, and we had a 2 hour drive from Springfield to our home, so we were not feeling overly adventurous with our food choices. We split a garlic bread, and then I had the pan severed chicken and my wife had the French onion soup. The garlic bread came, and it was like no garlic bread that we had had before. It came with a Gorgonzola cheese sauce to dip it in, and it was fantastic. The chicken with mushrooms (usually it comes with Brussels sprouts, but I do not care for them) was also at a whole new level for something so basic. When a restaurant can take a basic item and elevate it to this level, you know you have made a great find. I only wish we did not live 2 hours away, but if we are in the areas, we will definitely be back.