“Great pasta and chicken dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of A Touch of Garlic - CLOSED

A Touch of Garlic
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great pasta and chicken dishes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2012

Menu is varied and food is plentiful; known for its garlic mashed potatoes

Hampden Massachusetts
“Where's the Garlc?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Just went for an anniversary dinner. First time at the establishment.
Atmosphere: Place is set up in 2 sections. A bar side with some tables and another side with just tables. Drapes hang from the walls and even one that covers an emergency exit. The place appeared to be in need of an makeover. Chairs are not cushioned and tables are close together. We were seated in the non reserve section. It was against the wall or in the corners of the seating area's. Casual dress is the norm and jeans are no problem. We were definitely over dressed. Another thing was the backround music. It was random and did not add to the atmosphere at all.
Appetizer: We ordered the Calamari (not fried) . It was presented well and looked great. However after the first bite we both asked where's the garlic? Lol. It had no taste at all. We even had to add salt and pepper just to give it some taste. At one point I even dipped the calamari in the oil and vinegar we used to dip our bread. Very disappionting start to the evening.
Main Courses: My wife ordered the Linguine with Mussels,Clams & Shrimp. The meal was plentiful and to her delight Fantastic! It was prepared to perfection and was most enjoyable
I had the special of the day ...the swordfish served over a bed of rice with a sauce that was just delicious.Ah... we had found the garlic! Both dinners were very good and a complete opposite of the appetizer.
Overall Impression: It's a very casual restaurant . Not a corporate place but a family owned business. Hostess/Owner even showed us a picture on the wall that was of her family. Nice touch. The waitress was attentive and we didn't have to wait for any service. However, the atmosphere and condition of the chairs and tables need a makeover to really make this a special place. It just seemed run down a bit. Having said that, I would return and hope that some simple improvements would make the experience more enjoyable.

• Visited March 2012
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Always wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Never had a meal here that wasn't terrific. Very willing to make dietary substitutions. Yum!

• Visited February 2012
“How Lucky Are "We"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I have been frequenting TOG for years. I was treated to my birthday dinner when they were half the size they are today. Since that great meal, I moved (within walking distance - lucky us) and I took my partner to TOG for her birthday (4 years ago). Ever since that birthday evening TOG has been "our" choice of dining. My partner is Sicilian... she said the food taste "just like Grandma's" ~ I rest my case :-)
I write this review February 14th, 2012 in preparation of our Valentine's Day Dinner out...
See you wonderful people tonight!!!!

• Visited January 2012
“Delightful Italian Fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2012

A superior alternative to Typical Sicilian located nearby. Name of restaurant tells it all---order the garlic mashed potatoes for which they are known for. Large selection of fresh pasta with equally large selection of sauces. I love their chicken marsala and francaise but you can get veal as well. Not terrific atmosphere, morel like a neighborhood joint--but when the food is good it doesn't matter. Staff always accommodating and will ask the chef/owner about substitutions.

Visited January 2012