“Blah Food, Interesting Atmosphere”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Ranked #4 of 333 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Massachusetts
“Blah Food, Interesting Atmosphere”
Reviewed August 22, 2009

There's something about this place that has me coming back about every 5 years. It has a neat atmosphere and it usually takes about that long for me to forget that their food is mediocre at best. A relic of a time when American diners thought iceberg lettuce and overcooked vegetable were components of a good meal. If you feel like German cuisine you might want to give it a try but don't get your hopes up too high.

Amherst, MA
“Nothing noteworthy about this meal”
Reviewed February 21, 2009

Let's start with the bread--which was rye and pumpernickel straight out of a package. Then, the potato pancake appetizer was tasty although clearly reheated. My husband and I had the rabbit and quail dinners. The rabbit was very bony and difficult to eat, sitting in a pool of gelatinous sauce. The quail was 3 whole birds that were inedible both because they were so tiny and bony and also underdone to the point of being sent back. Even the waitress, when she looked at them, said she would not want me to eat them. Side dishes were their standard red cabbage which was totally limp and overly vinegary and a potato dumpling that was leaden and sitting in some awful tasting sauce. My husband enjoyed his spaetzle. Desserts were o.k. but nothing remarkable--apple strudel and mint chocolate cake. The decor is interesting but very crowded with tables one on top of another.
If this is what German food is about, I guess I just don't like it.

Acton, Massachusetts
“Good atmosphere, a fun time ,but so-so food”
Reviewed February 20, 2009

I really wanted to like this place. My wife and I like German food and we always lament how few German Restaurants there are in the Boston area. Springfield, having three German restaurants, is a trek out from Boston but worth it to us.

This time in town we tried the Student Prince. It has a dynamic atmosphere but with an old world feel. The decorations are classic campy German restaurant but are fine fun to look at (and there is a LOT of it) while waiting for your meal.

Unfortunately, the food is not as fun. I had herring for appetizer. I like a herring salad where there are good size chunks of marinated herring filet combined with German pickle and onions. Barring that, a marinated herring filet roled with a pickle in the middle is also nice (a "rollmop" is what my Dutch Mother called it). This was a small filet with sour cream sauce and a couple of red onion slices on top for garnish. Okay, I don't like the sour cream version as much, but this had a taste straight out of a Vita bottle from the supermarket. Unremarkable. My wife had the Nurenburger sausage appetizer. Nicely grilled but they had a peculiar taste (and we've had a lot of Nurnenbergers!) that we both found unappealing. My son had onion rings (him not being as big a fan of German food as mom and dad!) They were unique in that they didn't have usual heavy battering. So I took a handful with high hopes of good onion taste without all the breading. They were soggy and VERY oily. they also had virtually no seasoning. While I despised them I must admit my boy ate almost all - and it was a good sized portion! So your mileage may vary.

For entrees I have "Oma's Beef Roulade", my wife had the Saurebraten (a perennial favorite) and my son had the Chicken Paprika. His was chicken breast filet in an orange sauce vaguely tasting of old paprika (the kind you find in a can the back of our spice cabinet and really can't remember ever buying). Luckily it was only a vague taste... and it was the only vague taste. Again underseasoned and not a creamy sauce as we expected. He didn't eat much, but maybe his stomach had enough of the onion rings. My wife's sauerbraten was tender but it too had a peculiar sauce. The meat itself had been overmarinated and it was, again, a peculiar marinade. The red cabbage was nice (not as tangy as I like, but it grew on me), my spetzel was unremarkable and a little soggy, and the Potato dumpling just awful - like a ball of mash potato from a box. Now as to my "Oma's Beef Roulade".... it was GREAT! I haven't found Roulade in a long time and this one was perfect. Just the right blend of marinated meat, a nice German pickle in the middle which exactly complimented the meat marinade and it was cooked so that the edges of the meat was just slightly dark and crispy but the rest was juicy.

For dessert my wife had her favorite - apple strudel. It was not her favorite this night. No spice taste and a soggy outer shell. My son had "individual Blueberry Pie" which was a bowl of blueberries wit ha crust thrown o top. While it was strange and didn't look appealing it did taste good and my son loved it. I was the winner again with the Grand Marnier Frozen Souffle. It was a bazaar description and it was not at all a souffle but it was scrumptious. I won't describe it... maybe it could be your surprise what a frozen souffle is if you eat there. I do recommend that dessert.

So, in short, a funnish atmosphere, but the food is mostly unremarkable with a few really not good things, some fine beer selection and a perfect Beef Roulade. I would have given the restaurant two stars because of the food but it was fun and a nice place and I appreciated the Roulade (did I mention I liked it?!)

1 Thank TegansDad
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Amazing German cuisine.”
Reviewed January 18, 2009

Amazing German cuisine.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Zelzate, Belgium
“One of my favorite places to have great food in a unique atmosphere when I am on a business trip in Springfield!”
Reviewed January 15, 2009