The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Ranked #4 of 337 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We had a business transaction in Springfield and it was Tuesday of Valentine's week, so we figured why not. We were seated immediately in a busy but cozy room. The ambience is in keeping with a German restaurant - steins everywhere, wood paneling, fireplaces, animal mounts, costumed servers.

To our delight, February is "game month" and we were able to try some special dishes. My husband's starter was game sausage on a bed of sauerkraut. The sausages were two finger-sized rather bland tasting links, but he enjoyed the sauerkraut very much. My game soup was delicious. It was described as having Bison, Venison, Wild Boar, Llama, Antelope & Elk. I didn't expect to identify the various meats, but the bits were indistinguishable from one another. It packed a paprika punch and reminded me of a goulasch soup. Perhaps I was served that instead of Hunter's soup.

The Hasenpfeffer was the best rabbit my husband ever ate. The spaetzle recipe was inferior to mine - it seemed to lack the subtle richness egg lends the batter. His applesauce was no better than jarred Mott's. I had the Kaiser Schnitzel with mushroom gravy, spaetzle, and cucumber salad. The pork was incredibly thin and tender. The cucumber was sweet/sour, a nice counterpoint.

I would ask for "adjustments" next time. The schnitzel got a bit soggy, so I'd ask that it be served plain and instead dress the spaetzle with the mushroom gravy. But we both would order our mains again!

Dessert was a raspberry lemon torte, which was dry and disappointing.

The ladies' room was dated, hard to find, and a bit cold and musty.

Overall, the food was somewhat uneven. However, the service was excellent. And it's a real adventure because of the cuisine and the decor. We had a wonderful evening. We would try it again if in the area, but would not make a special trip as it is a bit distant. And you have to be in the mood for German food!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I took a group of co-workers here for an outing, and we had a fantastic time. I had been a few times as a kid and as a young adult with family. Yes, it's a little old school, and it's not cutting edge nouveau cusine, but it's good hearty German fare. I especially enjoyed the wiener-schnitzel and spaetzel, but others liked the sausage and jaeger-schnitzel. Try a German beer, and whatever you do, don't miss the fried Camambert cheese as an appetizer.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We went on a very busy Saturday night. The entrance was an absolute zoo at 7 PM - about 20 people must have arrived at the same time. We had reserved a booth in the old bar, and had to wait about 10 minutes at the very crowded bar before we were seated. By 7:20 the mad rush had cleared up, and things were calm for the rest of our evening.

The beer selection is excellent and the food was very good, but not outstanding. Service was fine. Be sure to take a walk around and look at the collection of steins and cork screws.

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

Visited the restaurant on a Saturday night. The place was crowded, beyond capacity. Waitresses & patrons constantly bumping into us. We made a reservation for a booth a couple of days before, but the reservation was not honored on arrival. We had to sit in a hallway between two dinning rooms. Stale bread was served to us out of a bag. My date ordered rabbit, which was mostly bone, no meat. She returned it and it was taken off the bill. My wild game was fine, nothing special for $32.50. The place is not worth your hard earned money.

1  Thank Roman S
Reviewed February 6, 2014

After an OK visit a year or so ago, we decided to give this restaurant a second try, mainly due to its convenient location near the train station. The food has gone downhill (esp. their German specialties), and I must say that our waitress was completely obnoxious with her hard-sell on dessert. She started pushing it, and reciting the dessert list, AS she was putting our entrees on the table! It put a damper on the whole meal, and we left feeling like we won't be going back. It's too bad; I've heard that this used to be a fun place with excellent food.

1  Thank Margaret_M_147