“Wonderfully Reliable”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Ranked #5 of 330 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, German, European, Central European, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Springfield, Massachusetts
“Wonderfully Reliable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

Best food in Western MA, wide menu choice, lovely atmosphere, parking in the back, the best German food in the area, May Day Month, Game Month, and more.

• Visited February 2013

CT Shoreline
“Good German food - closer to home.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

First time at Student Prince. The roulade was very good as was the gravlax appetizer with its horseradish sauce. The German Potato Salad dish was bland (both hot and cold). Cucumber salad was just like Mom used to make. The Rockfort dressing was clearly authentic as a ball of the cheese was mashed into a saucer of what looked like French salad dressing, wish I'd been told it was nearly $2 extra. The blueberry cobbler was a bit overcooked but okay but was surprised to see an additional charge for the small (2Tbps) scoop of ice cream.

Disappointed there was no German Chocolate or Black Forest cake nor strussel for dessert.

Will try it again only because good German cuisine is hard to find.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MadCTsailors
Michael M, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thanks for trying us out... we're always glad to see new faces! I'm happy you enjoyed your appetizer and entree.

To touch on a few points from your review:

- Generally, the waiter or waitress offering Roquefort will mention that it is an a la carte dressing selection, though they will not specify what the additional cost is unless asked. If your server neglected to mention that the Roquefort dressing was a la carte, I apologize for the miscommunication. If you are inclined to send me a private message with the details of your party (how many in your group, method of payment, name of the party, etc.) I will make sure to clarify this detail with your server.

- I just sampled the cobbler and the German potato salad a few minutes ago. Both are currently correct, but if they were not up to standards for your visit, I truly apologize.

- Regarding the Blackforest Torte and strudel, we do offer both of the desserts seasonally. We have seen an increasing interest in our strudel, so I will speak to the owners about offering it more often. I expect the Blackforest Torte will be featured as our Torte of the Day within the next month. Our current Torte of the Day is German Chocolate.

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm glad that you had an enjoyable experience overall. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Regards,

Mike
Kitchen Manager
Ridgeland, Mississippi
“Authentic German food, so-so service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

I loved the food, it was just like mother made it from the "old country". However, the server seemed in a great rush to take my order and serve me, which is the reason I'm not giving this establishment a 5. The ambiance was unique and interesting and I'm glad I happened upon this restaurant during a business trip. It's only about 20 minutes from BDL airport, where I was staying.

Visited June 2013
Avon, CT
“Long Time Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I last reviewed this restaurant in 2005. As it has always been one of my favorites I am updating my review of a dinner we had two nights ago. Aside from an unwelcoming and downright rude "host", the meal and dining experience were very good. We sat in the main dining room to the left of the entrance. The room is now decorated with a festive maypole with ceiling-length streamers - unique and decorative. We all started with salads with the table-made Roquefort dressing - as good and rich as ever. My son's house-made Bockwurst with a grainy mustard was delicious. My wife had soft shell crabs and they were fresh and perfectly cooked. My veal schnitzel a la holstein with a fried egg was as good as ever. Spaetzle and red cabbage were our sides of choice. A bottle of Kabinett Rhine wine was a perfect choice for this dinner and my wife always orders the magical Chauvinette cocktail for a dessert - a must have here!. Service is friendly and knowledgeable, real pros. The menu choices are vast and everything I have ever had here has been well worth it. Prices are moderate. Parking can be a hassle though we lucked out with a space on Fort St. If one wants to dine in the old original barroom, a reservation is necessary or else you will be humiliated by the doofus(maybe the owner?) at the front of the house if you so much as dare to ask to sit there.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Equity
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Will not return”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Went with a group of about 20 for appetizers and drinks. Drink was obviously bland and not top shelf brand of gin that I asked for, appetizers were boring. One of the wait staff just pushed by me and did not even attempt to say excuse me.

• Visited May 2013