“If you like German food...”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Ranked #5 of 329 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Springfield, Massachusetts
“If you like German food...”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Excellent food and have been here for ever. There are 3 German restaurants in the area and they are all very good.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank g8torfan

Newington, Connecticut
“Wonderful Waitress ~ Would Try One More Time”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were in the Springfield area and decided to try The Student Prince Café for a late lunch.

Really liked the ambiance. Very old world, warm and inviting. Seemed to be an abundance of dining areas and also two rooms with nice large bar areas.

We dined in one of the dining rooms. Couldn’t have had a nicer more accommodating waitress. Lots of items to choose from on the lunch menu and prices seemed very reasonable. We all ordered something different and none of us really enjoyed our meals. Portions were very good sizes. The potato salad was like a scoop of cold mashed potatoes. The liver was grainy and stringy. The veal was pounded so much it resembled Swiss cheese. Nothing really had any flavor. German food is usually not over seasoned but all of our meals were rather flat. None of use was raving about our meals.

On a positive side, they really give you lots of sautéed onions for your liver which is very nice. Rye bread was delicious and so was the coffee. They don’t charge extra for additional glasses of ice tea.

We all said that we would like to try one more time since they have a good selection of menu items from appetizers to meals to sandwiches. And once again, the waitress was top notch. We were able to change items for our meals w/out a problem. She alone would bring in customers.

1 Thank HonestEvaluatorGal
Boston
“Perfect in every way”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

From the moment you walk in the front door to the moment you reluctantly leave, you will enjoy the old-world charm of the Student Prince. The wait staff is friendly and knowledgeable, the décor is beautiful and the food is wonderful, whether you love German food or not.
There's nothing to add that the other reviewers have not mentioned, from the steins to the schnitzel, it's all good.
We've been here dozens of times and never had a bad meal. My husband enjoys trying all the German beers; we both love everything from the cucumber salad to the pistachio pudding. Our last time he enjoyed the goulash and I loved the braised beef.
Sadly, the restaurant is in a depressed part of Springfield(well, okay, it's pretty much all depressed there), but don't let that deter you. The Student Prince is worth a trip.

New York City
“Old-style German restaurant”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

German and Continental cuisine. The bar is adorned with a spectacular collection of steins and glassware. The restaurant has picturesque stained-glass windows.

Visited May 2012
Windsor, Connecticut
“My Favorite Restaurant in the world!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Most delicious food ever. Such a historical wonder, too. I love the steins that line the walls. I highly recommend the fried camembert cheese (my family gets a double order every time) and the Nuremberg sausage over red cabbage as delicious appetizers. The best thing I have ever eaten in my life is the veal shank with pan gravy. It is rather pricey, but entirely worth it. Other notable items my family and I have savored over the years are prime rib (my wife insists upon getting it when available), German sampler (usually a sausage, pork chop, and Hungarian goulash), and weinerschnitzel. During different months they have seasonal offerings. The game dinners are a real hit in February. Springtime brings us the festival of lamb (had their leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary on Saturday--delicious). Summertime brings softshelled crabs sauteed in garlic (yum!). My wife swears by the Roquefort dressing (homemade at tableside) with the salad. Chauvinette is a great alcohol infused dessert that I also highly recommend. I have eaten at many restaurants all over the US, and I keep coming back to the Fort!