“Wow, authentic German that will blow you away...”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Ranked #4 of 330 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Harvard, Massachusetts
“Wow, authentic German that will blow you away...”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I met my brother for dinner in Springfield, MA and had German food at the Student Prince Cafe & the Fort Dining Room. Wow, what a meal what a place! First off you walk through the door and you're transported to Germany to a beer garden or fine german restaurant. The decoratoins and furniture will convince you that you're in Germany. The beer and wine selections included delicious authentic German offerings. We had the potato pancakes, and had the special Wurst plate appetizers. They were both delicious1 The various saurkraut and red cabbgae were excellent too. I had the Lamb Shank, my wife had the Wiener Schnitzel. Both meals were outstanding. My wife works in the restaurant business and she was pleasantly surprised at the tenderness and tastiness of her meal with a generous portion. My Lamb was fall-off-the-bone tender. Didn't need a knife, I could cut it with my fork. We even saved room for dessert, and the Babas au Rhum was light and delicious. The waitresses and waiters were very personable and made your visit comfortable and fun. Can't wait for my next excuse to go to Springfield again! This is a must visit if you're in or passing through Springfield, MA.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank LUBY3298

Ellington, Connecticut
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“German Food?”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I'm shocked by how high a rating this restaurant is given. Google "Hungarian Goulash" and you'll find recipes made with tomatoes and paprika. Their "goulash" was beef stew made with beef boullion! Their Nuremberg sausages were nothing like the original and resembled flavorless breakfast sausage (same as their "bratwurst"). Their Weiner Schneitzel was more breading than meat! And I'm not sure who supplies their sauerkraut but it has the oddest flavor of any sauerkraut I've ever had!

Good beer selection and our waitress did a nice job!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank BrianC248
concord
“Authentic German!”
Reviewed December 24, 2012

From the food to the atmosphere this experience cannot be beat! Be sure to get a crab cake and the chauvenette! If you can get a reservation the week before Christmas to see the Carolers it's highly recommended!

Springfield, Massachusetts
“A Classic German Restaurant”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We love the German restaurants in this area. The Student Prince definitely has that old-time feel. Dining room is always packed. Good service, food was decent. We prefer another German restaurant in this area, but this is a close second. Definitely worth a try!

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Kaitlyn A
North Brookfield, MA
“Been a regular here for the past 25 years”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

It's cozy, it's quick, it's intimate, and I like the food. The drinks are served in glasses that are too small (talking martini's here), but they give you a little beaker with more martini in it and ice to keep it chilled, but still, I wish the glasses were larger. The fried camembert cheese is to die for. Get it as an appetizer. So is their special salad dressing that has blue cheese and a thousand-islands-like dressing. The waitress mixes it up right in front of you. YUM YUM YUM We would order it and take it home by the quart. Nothing like it in the world. Too bad I can't remember the name of it. It's a pale orange color. They'll know what you're asking for, believe you me. Go the week of Christmas - if you can get a reservation. It's crazy fun. They're already booked for this year.. been booked for awhile now. Make a res for next year. It's something to experience. Go Xmas Eve if you can. Make it a tradition. I went to a game dinner once, which was excellent too. They have great beer here. The interior, with all it's antiques all over the walls, is eye candy.

Visited December 2012