“Fun Place, Great food, Fabulous Atmosphere”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Ranked #4 of 337 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Food is consistently great. Atmosphere is fun. They take their beer seriously - as do the bartenders. A Springfield staple that we go to often because we're hardly disappointed.

Reviewed May 20, 2011

I look forward to eating at The Student Prince and Fort when I'm in downtown Springfield. As a former resident of Cologne, Germany, I can vouch for the food's authenticity.

I left the area for ten years to go to college and graduate school and on my return, the food was just as good as the last time I ate at the Student Prince in 2000.

Add to it that Springfield's increasingly fun Club Quarter is right nearby and this place makes for a very fun dinner-date.

Reviewed April 12, 2011

We just went in for a beer and a bite. How can you mess that up? The bartender was rude, the food was overpriced and poorly executed. I ordered a cheeseburger. It was swallowed up by the bun, covered in plastic orange cheese and served with cold fries. We also ordered the ostrich appetizer. It was $9.00 and we were given one skewer ( about three bites)served over two tablespoons of white rice. It was one of the toughest pieces of meat I have ever encountered. They seriously need to work on their quality.

Reviewed March 26, 2011

We went to Springfield for a one night get away to see the Armory and other Museums. We were leaving the Armory at noon and asked for a restaurant recommendation. Street parking on the weekends is free, and we were able to get within a couple of blocks. The restaurant was clean, the staff friendly. I got the homemade sausage, and my wife got the braised short ribs. Both were excellent, as were the red cabbage, fried potatoes and brocolli. The portions were generous, and even with a kids meal and two desserts, the total was ~$30 before tip. The yellow cake with chocolate frosting was awesome, and just slightly better than the home made apple strudel. We live about 90 miles from Springfield, but I am thinking about going back for more cake!

1  Thank MisplacedSouthernBoy
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Many of the reviews I read here suggested that this restaurant used to be a lot better. Holy xmas, that must have been some kind of food nirvana. I can't imagine the food being better than it is now.

My first impression of the restaurant was that they have a whole lot of beer steins, and the wait staff consists of ADULTS, which I greatly appreciate.

My girlfriend ordered the roulade, mostly because she likes roulade and also because it had been reviewed favorably here. I ordered one of the specials, a large platter of "game sausage", antelope meat, yak meat and stew. I don't remember what was in the stew, but it was some sort of game as well.

Her roulade was indeed very good. She enjoyed it thoroughly. But the star of the show was my meal. Everything was perfect. The antelope and yak were both just plain phenomenal. The stew was tender and wonderful. Although this is probably not to most people's liking, I appreciated the fact that the game sausage had very little salt in it and had a mild flavor. The yak meat was cut into the shape of yak horns, which I found rather amusing. The red cabbage was very flavorful and sweet. The spaetzle was a little dry, but I tried not to judge it too harshly, because it would have taken a truly outstanding spaetzle to not be completely overshadowed by all the other wonderful flavors on my plate.

Oh, I almost forgot, at the waiter's suggestion (yes, I know it was an upsell, but it didn't trigger my upsell peeve because it sounded good) we ordered a Camembert appetizer. It came with a honey mustard which I had my doubts about. I tried the cheese with the mustard and it was like a little miracle in my mouth. I'm gonna have to try that at home.

So... try this place. I haven't tried the more mundane food on the menu, but it seems to me that if you are adventurous you're going to have a great meal here.