“Clean, modern and comfortable, great value.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield

La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Springfield
Acton, Massachusetts
“Clean, modern and comfortable, great value.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed a weekend with the kids for a sightseeing tour of Springfield. We do this regularly but have stayed at the Sheraton or Marriott. This year I decided to try and save a buck and took a chance on La Quinta - who I know little about except their good reviews. Luckily, their good reviews are well founded.

The hotel is kept clean and is obviously newly renovated. It is up to date looking, carpets are all in good shape, paint job is nice and the room furniture is excellent. The beds are very comfy with upper quality blankets and sheets. The bathroom is granite and tile.

We stayed in the Exec Suite which gave us a little more room and a sofa bed for the kids. The room was very large - though that made the TV very far from the bed and the TV size was not big. The sofa bed was actually usable (sometimes at other hotels the sofa beds are so uncomfortable that we wind up with the kids in our beds anyway!) Exec suite also includes a mini fridge and kitchenette area.

We were on the 8th floor and we hoped for a view but we had a room facing away from downtown/river, so it wasn't much to look at :)

Breakfast is a hot meal and well done. First morning was scrambled eggs, bacon, hot waffles, choice of cereals, cheese danish, choice of juices, choice of toasts, yogurts. Next day was cheese omelet, hash browns, waffles, etc. It was well stocked and although there were a lot of guests it is well laid out and spacious enough to not be too claustrophobic.

The wife and kids did the pool (I was too tired from driving) but reported it was large and clean and nice.

Check in and out was a breeze and staff was courteous and helpful. At one point we asked the check in counter for an extra blanket for the sofa bed and it arrived at our door only about 5 minutes later. Great!

The only complaint I can come up with is that the walls are a bit thin. The first night we went to bed we could hear some young men next door laughing and talking for about an hour. It was quite noticeable to both my wife and I. We figured it was just high spirits. The next day though there was a mature couple talking at normal voice next door. They weren't yelling or anything, just talking. I wonder if their bed-board is right up against the same wall...

Frankly, that wasn't that big a deal to me, and overall we were very, very happy with the stay. We will probably do them again next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank TegansDad
William C, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Dear Recent Guest,
First and foremost, we would like to thank you for taking your valuable time in providing us with such lengthy and detailed feedback. It is feedback from guest like you that we continue to improve in various aspects. We are truly glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay here at La Quinta Springfield MA. With our "Here for You" philosophy, our staff makes sure that all of our guest leave our hotel with positive memorable experiences. Again, thank you for your time and for choosing La Quinta.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

Traveled to Springfield for Valentines weekend with my boyfriend. We stayed at the La Quinta for the first time. Our stay was great. I travel for work a lot and tend to look for hotels that offer a clean hotel and a hot breakfast. La Quinta did not disappoint! The hotel is in a nice safe location and the amenities are definitely A++!
I would definitely stay here again. The staff were efficient & friendly!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

William C, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear Recent Guest,
We appreciate your compliment on our property. We are always happy to hear that a guest will return after they have stayed with us. Our goal at La Quinta is to be "here for you" by providing excellent customer service and making sure that our guest leaves with memorable experiences. Again, thank you for taking your valuable time in providing us with such great compliments!!!
Thank you for choosing La Quinta Springfield MA
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Staff couldn't have been nicer, breakfast hot and plentiful, clean and comfortable room, plush towels and a very nice pool. They even shoveled out my car completely which was beyond the call of duty. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Not a bad place to stay while visiting Springfield College. Will be the place I go to every time I visit my son. Very helpful and warm staff. Offered me recommendations for dinner, since I was by myself I wanted some dinner delivered. It turned out to be yummy! Nice free breakfast in the morning. Thank you for making me feel comfortable in my home away from home without my hubby!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Waterbury, Vermont, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed at La Quinta, Springfield, MA this past weekend. We had five families with us and had requested adjoining rooms but found our group spread out through the hotel. Why we weren't closer together considering we booked these rooms two months ago, I don't know. This little quibble, however, is hardly worth mentioning but some people may have a problem with this which is why I do mention it here.

Overall, our stay was “pleasant”. I'm not sure we would return, however.

The Good:

The location is awesome with easy access to both downtown Springfield and the highway. The rooms were clean. Bathrooms were clean. Hallways were clean. Lobby was new and clean. Customer service was good and the front desk seemed well-staffed and attentive. Housekeeping was cheerful and attentive. The breakfast staff and bar staff were also cheerful and attentive. The hotel has a large indoor pool which is a plus for families. There is a staffed bar in the hotel which is a plus for adults looking to lounge around outside their room. They also provided a free breakfast which was “fair” which seemed identical to just about every other free hotel breakfast.

The Bad:

The rooms (all five of our rooms) were a bit too chilly for comfort. If the door to the hallway was left open, the ensuing cold draft was even worse. No matter how high we pushed the temperature on our room thermostat, the air blowing from the unit under the window was always cool or luke warm, at best. This, unfortunately, is a deal-breaker for us. Uncomfortable temperatures are not acceptable in a hotel. Since this was a common problem in all five of our rooms, we didn't bother complaining about this to the front desk because we figured it must be a common problem in the hotel.

For those in our group who showered after 9am... they were lucky to have luke-warm water. Some complained of no hot water whatsoever. I showered before 9am and always had hot water. Again, just like a constant chilly room, this is a deal-breaker also.

I mentioned above that the large indoor pool was one of the “good” features. This, however, was not without its faults. There was condensation dripping off the ceiling of this overly warm, humid pool house. Cellphones needed to be covered with towels because of all the constant dripping of condensation throughout the entire pool house. It was as though it was raining lightly inside the pool house. Additionally, the pool house was very sparse with no chaise lounges for lounging about with friends. The towels supplied in the pool house were quite small for drying off an entire body. Some in our group found the towels useless. I had brought my own towel so I had no problems with towels but found the 'indoor rain effect' quite bothersome and couldn't help but wonder how long it will take before the hot, damp pool house is covered in mold and mildew. Proper ventilation, pool-sized towels and some comfortable furniture would be a huge improvement.

Two other quibbles about the pool... It closes and is locked at 9pm every night. That is far too early too close one of your most popular amenities in a hotel! Also, the pool is located off the lobby after walking through the game room. The lobby has a sign for the game room but not the pool. I never would have found the pool without asking first. What an odd traffic pattern. There are no dressing rooms at the pool so you must traipse through the COLD lobby (more on that shortly) in your wet bathing suit to get to and from the pool.

Now, the lobby... It is the middle of a typical cold winter here in the northeast so it is cold outside. Most hotels have a heated vestibule with hot blowing air which counters the cold air whenever the two sets of doors open and close. The vestibule did have heating vents but no heat coming out of them so the lobby was constantly being blasted with frigid cold air from outside. As a result, the lobby was uncomfortably cold and was no place for gathering with your group. Making matters worse is that the aforementioned staffed bar is located in the lobby right next to these frigid main entry doors!

For me, my family and my friends, having a staffed bar is a plus. The problem, however, is that this bar is located in the lobby and that this lobby was freezing cold with constant gusts of arctic air! It makes no sense to me to have a staffed bar just inside the main entrance and in the open lobby. This hotel actually has a beautiful open top floor, with windows all around, which would make a perfect location for a small, cozy, warm bar with a view. I assume this top floor is used for events/conferences so it really would be a big plus for the hotel if the staffed bar was located up on that top floor overlooking Springfield providing direct access for those attending events/conferences as well as those staying at the hotel.

The bar closes at 9pm every night just like the pool, however, the bar was completely full the night we were there so they stayed open until 10pm. That was nice so, again, I have no complaints about the service in this hotel. The bartender was very attentive and accommodating. What we will always remember, however, is that this bar is located in the open lobby, just inside the main entry doors, and was uncomfortably cold and unbearably cold at times. It was so cold, in fact, that members of our group were wearing jackets and were still cold.

Another thing we all will remember about this lobby/bar is the annoying flickering recessed lighting. Every 30-60 seconds, these overhead lights would flicker on and off for a few seconds. This flickering was so drastic that it looked like a curious young child was playing with the dimmer switch... all night long. This was enough of a distraction to give you a headache.

La Quinta, apparently, is a pet-friendly hotel which is great if you have a pet with you along for the ride but can be bad for anyone else. I had laid down one afternoon because I was not feeling well and was awoken by a dog in a nearby room barking incessantly. I love dogs but this sort of problem is a deal-breaker for me. Also, for those with pet allergies, this hotel would not be for you. I thought about complaining to the front desk about the barking but figured I could end up being moved to an equally bad location so I opted to ignore the dog for the hour or two of barking.

Overall Conclusion:

This hotel has a lot of potential. The location is great. The rooms and common areas are clean. The entire staff is very professional, courteous and attentive. They have a pool, albeit very sparsely equipped. They have a staffed bar albeit frigid with flickering lights and smack-dab in the middle of the lobby. That being said, even with all of the “good” features of this hotel, they MUST fix the heating issues, hot water issues, ventilation issues in the pool house, and the floorplan/flow of common areas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Patrick M
William C, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Recent Guest,
Let me begin by thanking you for your detailed and extensive feedback. We know how valuable time is nowadays and for you to take your time to explain in detail the good and the bad is wonderful. However, we do want to apologize for your inconvenience and especially the temperature control problem and wanted to let you know that we are taking extreme measures to make sure we fix this issue. We understand the importance of feeling comfortable when one stays at any hotel, especially when it comes to temperature. We will take your feedback and analyze every comment so we can improve in various aspects/department of our hotel. Again, we cannot thank you enough for providing us with excellent feedback. It is guest like you that we continue to improve the quality of service and product of our hotel. Thank you for choosing La Quinta Inn & Suites in Springfield MA.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
Hilton Garden Inn Springfield
Springfield Marriott
Springfield Marriott
#6 of 7 in Springfield
Sheraton Springfield at Monarch Place
Regency Inn and Suites West Springfield
Regency Inn and Suites West Spri...
#3 of 17 in West Springfield
Howard Johnson Express - Springfield

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield? Share your experiences!