“Worst Restaurant - I would give zero rating if possible”
Review of Mama Iguana's - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Mama Iguana's
Cuisines: Mexican, American
Dining options: Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Ellington, Connecticut
“Worst Restaurant - I would give zero rating if possible”
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Worst restaurant we’ve ever been to. 200 types of tequila doesn’t mean anything if it takes 40 minutes to get a drink. The slow drink service, failure to get food to hungry customers, incorrect orders, and staff confusion frustrated all the customers in my seating area. Several walked out, and those of us who stayed were subjected to mistake after mistake. My husband waited 40 minutes for his first drink. An hour and a half after placing our order for the Empanada appetizer, a chicken fajita dinner, and the Nueva York Steak – the two dinners arrived and the appetizer was nowhere in sight. However, the server tried to leave something that we hadn’t ordered because, “It was on the tray”. Both dinners were wrong. My chicken fajitas only had the vegetables (no chicken) and my husband’s steak was missing the special gorgonzola butter. We notified the waitress who disappeared with my plate and returned about 10 minutes later with our missing appetizer. After another 20 minutes, I saw a waiter circle the other half of the seating area with my missing fajitas and unable to determine where they should go, despite the large, pink handwritten numbers on each table, he disappeared into the back room. I waited another 15 minutes, during which time a server tried to deliver a second order of empanadas, before the waitress finally returned, without the gorgonzola butter, to see how the fajitas were. She left in a huff and 5 minutes later returned with the fajitas and the gorgonzola butter. It was so bad that I was almost waiting for the cameras to come out and someone to tell me that it was all a prank. At the end of the meal, we were presented with the check, and laughed out loud when we saw a very tacky message, “If possible, please pay tip in cash” printed across the bottom.
We weren’t the only group experiencing problems. The couple seated next to us, who were seated and ordered before we got there, didn’t get their order until we were almost finished eating. Another party of 3 waited almost an hour to get their drinks. A nearby party of 4 received two of their dinners, one a fajita dinner, then waited nearly 30 minutes to get the fixings for the fajita order (tortillas, sour cream, etc…) and the other 2 dinners. It was one of the worst dining experiences we’ve ever had – we will not try it again.

• Visited September 2011

brimfield
“Best Mexican Around”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The food was excellent and the atmosphere was very fun. Looking forward to going back.

Visited August 2011
West Springfield, Massachusetts
“Great food, great drinks, great service”
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Excellent service, excellent food, excellent drinks. I came with a party of five people who were here for the first time. I talked it up because I had been many times before and I was not let down. Our server came over right away with chips and water. The party I was with had not seen each other in a long time so we took a few extra minutes to order drinks and a while to order food, but she was patient and just made sure water was full and drinks were good, which they were. The management was also excellent. There was a manager at the door who handled our reservation and one walked by after we were eating to make sure everything was fine, which it was. I have never had a bad experence and I have probably been 10 times since it opened for drinks or appetizers or a full meal.

We ordered margaritas and sangarias. Both were excellent and had much flavor. They didn't come in jumbo size which some people might be looking for, but we ordered a pitcher and that was plenty for three people. The bartenders were very knowledgable about the tequilla, the server wasn't so much, but there are 200 tequillas to learn. I would guess the servers focus on the food first, then start to learn all the tequillas.

There is a fun atmosphere with music and neat pictures and decorations. I have been to the Iguana's in Northampton and that is very good also, however I live much closer to this one and the prices were better and the food was the same.

I love there amrillo mole. Spicy enough for me and come with tortillas that were warm and soft. I love to tear them apart and you could tell they were fresh. They have been fresh every time I have order this dish. I will definetly be going again.

• Visited August 2011
Easthampton, Massachusetts
“A great experience all around!”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

The restaurant is stunning. The attention to detail in the decorations are breath taking. The food was excellent, and the drinks were made to perfection. What was also notable about the experience is that the staff seemed to really enjoy what their work.

After dinner we had a drink at the outside bar. The bartender/mixologist of the evening made myself my two friends his three favorite martini's - all which were veryyy tasty!

Mama Iguana's is a great addition to the Springfield area!

• Visited August 2011
Westfield,MA
“Absolutley Average”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Food was ---fine. Service was --- fine. Prices were -- not so fine. I had the shrimp ceviche app which was excellent. But I also had the gazpacho (sp) which was quite bland. I would expect it to be one way or the other -- really spicy or flavorful or really fresh with local produce. It was neither. My margarita was good but $11?? Really? Other dishes (chicken quesidilla) were find, can't believe that's what my wife ordered but that's another story. All in all, 4 people = 6 drinks, five apps and the bill was $120 WITHOUT tax and tip. Seemed like a lot seeing as we had to go home and eat again.

• Visited July 2011