“Great Food!”

Typical Sicilian Ristorante
Ranked #61 of 329 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Description: The owner, Claudia, could not have been more accommodating. The food both gluten free (no wheat, rye barley) and regular meals were excellent. The The grilled articholk
Middletown, Connecticut
“Great Food!”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Typical Sicilian has really great, fresh food and excellent gluten free options. The portions are very large for the price so you get a lot for your money. The service was very good and there's a great atmosphere at this establishment. Definitely going back again!

Visited January 2013

New York City, New York
“Love the food--except they need a bread selection”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I've written about this restaurant before and want to start by saying the food here is A-MAZING. I've occassionally had a dish that was a little too salty, but for the most part the menu, including desserts, is delicious and flavorful. I agree with those who say the service is not consistent, but I like the food well enough to let that go. We often order take out.

The first time we went they had a garlic bread as an app. special and we fell in love. I've tried to get it every time I've gone back, and it's only been on the menu a couple of times. They've also had a cheese bread that is wonderful, so that will do if the garlic bread is not available. BUT, it seems like they rarely have a bread special and there is for sure not one on the regular menu. We went for New Year's Eve and were told, "no, we usually don't have a bread to order as we serve bread with dipping oil." I would buy that if the bread they serve was exceptionally good, but it's just average white bread. An Italian restaurant needs an exceptional bread (Bona Vita in Enfield serves an awesome bread with dipping sauce along with other selections from the menu) but Typical is not serving a bread in that category. That's like a French restaurant with no wine.

I'll give back the two stars when they come to the realization that garlic bread is a staple for any good Italian restaurant. We don't mind paying for it--just make it available.

• Visited January 2013
Western Massachusetts
“Uninspiring...due mainly to service”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We're not frequent diners here as the slant is toward pasta and we typically avoid pasta (they do have dishes other than) but we've been here enough to state that the food always delivers but the service may or may not. Four of us dined on an early Friday (5:30) evening and it was close to full and the bar area soon filled in not too long after. Our server is a tall, thin lad who has worked there I believe since day one. Wasn't real personable, didn't greet the table (Just kind of looked at you waiting for a drink order, a hello or some sort) and was generally disengaged throughout the evening. Saying "no" was his favorite word: Would it be possible for the chef to create a small side dish of sauteed mushrooms? "No, I can ask but he would never do that." Do you have gluten free rolls? "No." (Not, no I'm sorry we don't; just no). I asked for a side of sauteed vegetable of the day to come as part of my entree and it came 15 minutes early prior to the arrival of the entrees. No big deal; just a lack of attention to detail. Overall food was a 3 out of 5 and service was a 1. Will I go back? Yes. Will it be soon? "No."

• Visited January 2013
Hampden, Massachusetts
“Our Favorite”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We've been patronizing this great restaurant since they opened in their first place down the street. Looking back, we actually go there even more often now than when it first opened...its just that consisently good. When its too busy to wait for a table we sit at the bar and its just as enjoyable. This is the kind of place that every "mom and pop" aspires to...fun atmosphere, great service and a menu with a terrific combination of old favorites and new ideas.... they truly passionate about their business and it shows.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Kevin C
“amazing...felt like i was back in NJ”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

stayed at the Marriott in downtown Springfield...and used TA to find a good italian restaurant close to hotel. found this place....and OMG...felt like i was back in NJ in my favorite neighborhood places. Everyone was friendly, happy, food was amazing..and one of the owners Claudia..besides being drop dead gorgeous...was so sweet & welcoming i felt like i had known her for years instead of minutes. Had the Roman Artichokes...for an apply..a bottle of Stags leap artemis...very reasonable cost as i have had at other restaurants for twice the price...and my boss and i each had veal...OMG...amazing...and then a double expresso...and the comped a wonder surprise dessert.......i will be back every time i am in Springfield....

• Visited December 2012