“In need of some TLC”

Westmark Sitka Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Sitka
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Have been coming to this hotel every year for work for 15 years, nothing changes which isn't all bad but the upkeep does need attention. The tub has probably so much in the drain by the time you are done with your shower the tub is 3/4 full of standing water. The bathroom fan doesn't work and looks like it could use a little cleaning. At check in the gal was very unpleasant, we seem to be intruding into her space and she had better things to be doing. I hope they make necessary upgrades, as it is long over due.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank KKfromAK

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed at the Westmark in Sitka. We knew that it had a great location. We were able to see downtown and the harbor. The view was great.
The room however, was very disappointing. The rates are high for the quality of the room. The rooms are run down, in major need of maintenance. When we entered the room, 2 of the lamps didn't work. I asked a girl in the hall, her response was to plug them in. (we had already tried this) I then asked if they could check them, and she sent someone up, they replaced bulbs in 1 of the lamps. The bathroom fan is so dirty that stuff is hanging down from it. The bathtub had hair, as did the bottom of the ice bucket. The beds were clean, but very messy looking. I think the main issue is that the staff doesn't seem to take pride in the rooms.
At Check in Sharon was very pleasant and welcoming. At checkout, the two girls were more concerned with their conversation than helping the guest.
Our hotel experience was a disappointing stay. I'm from Sitka, so I understand the choices are limited, but being a "West mark" and the price we paid $154.00 per night, I expected it to be clean and to have value.
Next time, we won't stay there on next trip, and I would recommend that people check those out before staying at the hotels in town.
We ate at the restaurant, it was ok. The food was good, the service ok. The waitress really seemed alittle irritated that she wasn't working her normal shift in the bar area.

Room Tip: if you do stay ask to stay on the side towards town.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank aly2010
Reviewed October 21, 2013

When I reviewed this hotel in 2010, my impression was favorable. Having stayed there last week, I'll say that the rooms are fine, but the restaurant is pretty bad! People say the food in the bar is better, but most of that is fried snacks. The dining room is not even open every day in the off season (Mid-October), there is NO chef, the people trying to fill in as cooks do not understand the recipes the interim chef left them. I had two very bad dinners there -- one was unrecognizable as the item on the menu. Breakfasts are OK, but service is slow. Little Toyko is just around the corner and has decent Japanese food. Agave, down the street a few more steps, is very good Mexican food and has other items, too. A fairly new Asian place is across the street. You'd probably be OK with a hamburger in the bar at the Westmark, but until the hotel can say it has a chef who's on duty full time, DO NOT EAT DINNER IN THE RESTAURANT.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank TirzahRuth
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is far from being anything special. It is so run down. We watched part of the ceiling fall in. It was in the hallway between the lobby and the restaurant. The carpets and stains and smelly. The rooms are sleepable at best. The beds are not plush and comfy. The toiletries are bottom dollar. We stayed for an extended amout of time and it was awful. The restaurant was surprisingly good the first time we ate there. Don't get your hopes up it was far from consistent. We would request the room to be cleaned and even placed the card on the beds. Still numerous times they just chose not to change the sheets even though we only requested it about every 3 days or so. Basically, due to the size of the city and the lack of competition, the issue here is supply and demand. The hotel seemed to stay booked. The rooms are way over priced. But no improvements are being made. Still if you come here and need a place to stay you have to settle and they know that. They offer an over priced restaurant, and a workout room in the basement near laundry. The basement was so hot and the workout area is so small it was miserable! If three or more people were working out at once you are basically stepping on each other. There is certainly no free weight room. The location downtown was great but not really better than some other hotels. We were in the process of moving here. I now know better. If you have to stay in a hotel take the discount and just stay in the super 8. If you really wish to enjoy your stay however, choose a bed and breakfast. The Ravens Peak is beautiful! I personally haven't stayed there but based on outside appearance alone I know what decision I'd make if I had it to do over.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Cathryn B
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We meet at the Westmark Sitka several times while in Sitka and each time we had a bad experience. We loved Ramon when sitting at the bar, but when we had table service the servers weren't attentive and were even rude. We came in for sandwiches and while there were only 2 other tables it took us over an hour to get our meals.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Debbie S
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

I read reviews before I visit a place and I have to agree with SOME of what I read about this hotel. The best thing is its location. It is very close to everything in town and to the water. Our room was on the 4th floor and very quiet (no slamming doors or ice machines or talking in the hall). Our room was a nice size and had everything we needed. The bathroom was large enough for both of us to move around. While the bedding was fresh and clean, the carpet and the upholstered chairs were stained and in need of cleaning or replacing.
We ate several meals at the hotel and found the food and service both to be excellent. Prices were comparable to other places we visited in Alaska.
It IS expensive, but most things are in the 49th state! Distance has to be considered for goods to be delivered.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Nice downtown location but beyond that it is just average. Ordered a chowder which was good and two halibut burgers. My wife thought hers was good but I was not impressed. We were hungy and the food passed the test. Just unremarkable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple