Ann's Gavan Hill Bed & Breakfast
$239
$196
$231
$195
Longliner Lodge and Suites(Sitka)(Great Value!)
$239
Sitka's Eagle Bay Inn(Sitka)(Great Value!)
$179
Travelocity
$289
$260
Priceline
$200
All reviewseach morninglovely hometop floorpleasant stayrulesstorieshostessbedroombearalaskaboat
Reviewed September 9, 2013

It was very hard to find reasonably priced accommodation in Sitka and we were more than happy with Ann. She was a lovely hostess with a very clean and comfortable home. I think the criticism of her wanting guests to take off shoes or using saucers under cups is totally unwarranted - who wants muddy carpets and stained furniture tops. I'm also particular about keeping my floors clean and like it when family and friends take off their shoes when coming into my home. The bed was very comfortable and the shared facilities no problem on this occasion we were the only guests that night.

Ann even insisted on taking us into town when it was raining slightly and we wanted to walk. Thank you Ann.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GlobeTrotters4001
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stayed at Ann's for four nights with a friend. While I chose to stay here because of the prices, Ann was a fantastic hostess and is the reason for this five-star review. She was quick to recommend excellent things to see and do, and was incredibly generous to us when we participated in a midnight road race on the summer solstice. It was a tradition to go in costume, and Ann made sure that we would fit right in, lending us clothing, jewelry, makeup, and even wigs for our wacky outfits! Her location is convenient to town and to a grocery store, and the guest kitchenette has a giant fridge, tea kettle, microwave, dishes, cutting boards, silverware, etc. (but no stove) that made it fairly easy for us to prep our own lunches and dinners (we were on a budget!). We were also able to do laundry, enjoy the hot tub, and socialize with the other interesting guests in the common area.

There were a few minor irritations - The window in our room didn't open, and since there was a bit of a heat wave (70s) in Sitka it got slightly stuffy overnight. I still slept fine, and I think that windows in all of the other rooms DO open. It was also a bit crowded at the breakfast table when the house was full. Nevertheless, I would definitely stay with Ann again. If you are okay with a home-stay B&B and like to spend time with interesting people, Ann's would be great for you.

Many thanks to Ann for an AMAZING stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Be_Lizzie
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Lovely home, gracious hostess, convenient location. Delicious homemade breakfast. Couldn't have been any better. Loved it. Highly recommend. Hot tub on the deck for relaxing. Clean. Very spacious and well cared for home.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Ann's was a good value & the Ann was a wonderful hostess. She really went out of her way to make our stay great and all of suggestions were right on. The breakfast was very good. I would also suggest fortress of bears.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MidwestTravelers049
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Accommodations anywhere in Alaska in the summer are pricey, but the value you get for your dollar is maximized at this B&B. Yes, there are some quirks as mentioned by others (but honestly, it's just rude in Alaska to NOT remove your muddy shoes), but as others have also mentioned, the food is excellent and plentiful. Perhaps a better description would be like an old-time guesthouse rather than the 21st century incarnation of a B&B.

I would say this B&B is best suited for the independent and budget traveller. We met lots of cool and interesting folks from all over here. But, if your a mainstreamer who expects a B&B to be more of a boutique hotel, you might want to look elsewhere.

My only two issues with our stay were the shared bathrooms (but we knew about that going in, it was just not as convenient as a private bath - although it would have been nice to have the option), and our room smelled a little funky. I just aired it out by opening the window for a while everyday, but it was a bit stuffy and musty. Maybe it was a room that just didn't get much use.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are the nicer rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family