“Great Food”

Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband & I were touring the Alaskan Inside Passage via the Silver Shadow cruise ship & Sitka was one of our stops. We had researched restaurants in Sitka, & Van Winkle was listed as an excellent stop. We agreed 100% w/the rating. We had the Smoked Salmon Chowder & it was heavenly. It was very rich without the heavy feeling of rich chowder. Great ambiance & friendly atmosphere. Would definitely return on my next trip. Service was excellent & staff very friendly.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Consistently one of the best restaurants in SE Alaska for Halibut. Casual atmosphere and very reasonably priced.

Reviewed August 8, 2011

I called and talked to the Owner/ Manager a month in advance and two other occasions to make sure that they understood that our group wanted separate checks 9 checks in all for a party of 16 people.

When we got there and started to order I asked the waitress about getting separate checks for each guest and their S/O she refused to do separate checks and stated that we needed advance notice to do so.
I told her I spoke to the manager on 3 separate occasions, still got a nasty look.

This waitress ruined a perfectly good retirement party, as soon as I left the restaurant I started to get calls from upset co workers. Maybe the waitress thought since gratuity was automatic that she didn't have to try. She did not fill half the guests drinks.

I will NEVER bring a group to this restaurant again and doubt that I will go to this restaurant ever again as the service makes the experience.

She ended up separating out the tickets but people ended up with things they didn't order on their ticket, if this lady took the time to flip her order tab it wouldn't have been such a big deal.

We brought in $500 to this restaurant but it was not worth the money we spent, I know my co workers would agree, the manager should have brought in an extra waitress as this lady was about to loose her mind for all the customers to see.
If I knew this experience would be awful I would have booked the event somewhere else
where they were able to accommodate our request.

1  Thank sitkan
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Althugh we had to battn down the door to get in at the beginning of the evening hours posted, all three of us were pleased with the food, wine selection, and staff attitudes. Not a terrific view, but a good one if sitting by the windows. Seemed to attract a local crowd.

Reviewed February 2, 2011

...it was a dark and stormy night in Sitka and no night to be home cooking.....Sitka has many places to enjoy a nice meal ,but I think Van Winkle and Sons is one of the best for the quality of food served , their nice beer selection , friendly, knowledgeable and seamless service by wait staff....dessert of Lemon Cream Cake and a lovely coffee make what was a crazy, hectic day fade and civility return to mind... very positive and we will return. Thank You .

4  Thank gerdawickett