“good harbor views, good location”

Totem Square Hotel & Marina
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sitka
Atlanta, GA
“good harbor views, good location”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I were totally pleased with this hotel. The service was attentive, the facilities have recently been updated, and the harbor views were terrific. We liked the location at the intersection of Lincoln and Kaitlean streets. The Dock Shack restaurant on site was very good and capitalizes on its harbor view. We paid about $225 per night. The rooms were comfortable and everything worked.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a room on the third floor overlooking the harbor and away from the Pionee...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank berkeley78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This hotel is well maintained and we enjoyed our comfortable room. But one cranky woman at the front desk is all it took to put a damper on our stay. We paid for a room with a water view. She assigned us a room that overlooked the parking lot, with just a smidgen of water visible from the window (~10%). She refused to change the assignment or reduce the price (we had already prepaid). So beware of this ripoff! Also, we couldn't check in before 3 p.m., and when the designated time past, it still took her about 20 minutes to confer with the computer and check us in. At the end of our stay, we asked if we could have a half an hour late check-out. We were flatly told no. Her whole manner was abrupt and never once did she make us feel welcomed.

The room was very clean, the towels fluffy, and the beds comfortable. The only thing that could be improved in the room is the temperature control for the shower/tub. A small adjustment resulted in the water turning from cold to scalding. It was difficult to get it just right without possible injury.

The onsite restaurant service and food quality were excellent. The restaurant staff were always cheerful (which was a welcomed change from the grumpy woman at the front desk).

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for view of the water. The extra charge is a scam.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Greyhavens99
Westlake Village, California
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel was clean, staff pleasant and responsive. The location was great at one end of historical Sitka. My room was on the side of the hotel facing the neighboring bar so I experienced some noise. A complimentary shuttle is operated by the hotel. On the downside, the room was a bit too warm with no good means of keeping it cool. The price was high for what you get, but on par with others in Alaska.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the side with the bar.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I was originally going to stay in another hotel, but a colleague convinced me that I should stay here. The location is great, but as mentioned by everyone else, get a room facing the front. The noise from the bar spills out into the front after closing time, so be prepared. For some reason, my room was constantly being heated. There is a switch by the window that turns on a fan that sucks cooler air into the room when you crack the window. Not the best solution, but it does cool off the room. I found the bed to be one of the most comfortable I have slept in anywhere. Plus, they give you a generous number of pillows. I also used the complimentary shuttle to the airport a couple miles away. It runs at scheduled times, but be sure to request it ahead of time.

During my stay, there was some construction going on. I never heard it but I did hear some guests complain to the front desk.

Overall, it is a little overpriced for what you get, but what isn't overpriced on an island? It was a decent place with no real thrills. The thrills are all outside the window. Get out of the room and enjoy them.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the bridge side of the hotel will help you get some sleep.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank taxihailer
Vallejo, California
Reviewed June 17, 2012

A four star hotel? For Sitka, I guess. Staff was bored, hard to get them to smile. Don't get a room on the Kaitlan Street side. You'll have to pay more but the noise level should be better. People walk up and down ALL NIGHT between two bars. Worst linen quality I've ever experienced.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MainlandJen
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This place is fine. If you’re a clean freak, I promise you won’t feel an overwhelming desire to throw yourself out the window immediately upon entry but, to be honest; you will still probably spend a few minutes wiping things down with your disinfectant wipes. It is, for the most part, a clean and relatively quiet hotel. The lobby and some of the halls and rooms appeared to be in the early stages of renovation when I last stayed there so you may find things somewhat more updated than I did in March 2012. Whatever the case it is pretty much standard Alaskan fare; overpriced for what it is, but on par with most everything else you’re likely to find in town. The location is quite good as it is well within an easy walk of Castle Hill (I think that is what it was called) and a variety of downtown shops and restaurants. My room was on the fourth floor, was quiet, and overlooked the small craft harbor. I slept with my window cracked (I like it cool when I sleep) and had no issues with noise apart from a few fishing boats firing up in the morning. Sitka itself is a great little town full of magnificent views, a national monument, great hiking, and what appeared to be some interesting little shops. I couldn’t say for sure as I hate shopping, but from the looks of them, my wife would have no trouble killing an afternoon perusing their wares while I fish, or hike, or sit in the hotel and stare at the wall (still better than shopping). All in all, I would stay here again and have no serious issues with this property.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nimes011
Corona del Mar, California
Reviewed September 26, 2011

This was a pretty expensive motel. It was clean but little else. You are on an island that has 15 miles of road from one side to the other so they pretty much have a captive customer base so expect to pay more than normal. I would stay here again because it was clean. The competition didn't look that great either

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo