“On par”

Totem Square Hotel & Marina
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Sitka
Reviewed April 30, 2012

This place is fine. If you’re a clean freak, I promise you won’t feel an overwhelming desire to throw yourself out the window immediately upon entry but, to be honest; you will still probably spend a few minutes wiping things down with your disinfectant wipes. It is, for the most part, a clean and relatively quiet hotel. The lobby and some of the halls and rooms appeared to be in the early stages of renovation when I last stayed there so you may find things somewhat more updated than I did in March 2012. Whatever the case it is pretty much standard Alaskan fare; overpriced for what it is, but on par with most everything else you’re likely to find in town. The location is quite good as it is well within an easy walk of Castle Hill (I think that is what it was called) and a variety of downtown shops and restaurants. My room was on the fourth floor, was quiet, and overlooked the small craft harbor. I slept with my window cracked (I like it cool when I sleep) and had no issues with noise apart from a few fishing boats firing up in the morning. Sitka itself is a great little town full of magnificent views, a national monument, great hiking, and what appeared to be some interesting little shops. I couldn’t say for sure as I hate shopping, but from the looks of them, my wife would have no trouble killing an afternoon perusing their wares while I fish, or hike, or sit in the hotel and stare at the wall (still better than shopping). All in all, I would stay here again and have no serious issues with this property.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Nimes011

Reviewed September 26, 2011

This was a pretty expensive motel. It was clean but little else. You are on an island that has 15 miles of road from one side to the other so they pretty much have a captive customer base so expect to pay more than normal. I would stay here again because it was clean. The competition didn't look that great either

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank scaldar
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Hotel staff were friendly. Hotel was clean. Had a great room with a view over Totem Square (although the totems have disappeared since my last visit). Free shuttle to/from the airport. Also free computers in the foyer with internet access.

Hotel now has a good restaurant serving food all day. This meant that my booking had included a continental breakfast but due to the new restaurant I had to purchase a breakfast instead. The deck is lovely for a cold beer at the end of a day of sight seeing. saw bald eagles flying overhead during dinner and breakfast.

Second time I have stayed here and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a square view rather than the rear (and a carpark).
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Wacky68
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Recently spent a couple of weeks in Alaska and my wife and I's favorite town was Sitka. Amazing hiking trails, great restaurants by Alaska standards and just a great little town in a beautiful setting. Not as much cruise ship traffic as some of the other alaskan towns, but still enough in the way of restaurants and things to do to make it worthwhile. We both wished we had spent more time here. I've also heard the fishing is amazing, but we didn't do any until later in the trip.

The Totem Square Inn was a great place to stay in Sitka. A nice modern motel with the standard conveniences (no air conditioning anywhere in AK that we saw), great location (right on the water, downtown), clean comfortable rooms at a fairly afordable rate and friendly knowledgable staff. They also had inexpensive coin-operated laundry downstairs which was very nice after a week of living out of our suitcases. Free Wireless in the rooms and computers with printers down in the lobby were another bonus.

The hotel is also right around the corner from the Pioneer bar and liquor store and just a little further to Ludvig's which was the best restaurant we visited in Alaska. You really couldn't ask for more in this cool little town.

The only knocks I had were a loud exhaust fan from the kitchen right outside our window, and the restaurant itself isn't great. However you're only a few blocks from pretty much every restaurant in town so not much of a problem.

I would definately recommend this place to others and I'd stay here again if I was in Sitka.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MayorMcSteve
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Fortunately, I read the Tripadvisor reviews before I booked here, so I asked for a room away from the noisy bar. We were on the 4th floor at the opposite end of the hotel from said bar, so we didn't hear any noise from it. Room 404 was quiet and had a view of the water. Someone said in a previous review that the rooms are like budget motel rooms, and that is exactly right, and the price for the room is quite high (almost $200 a night). It isn't a bad place to stay, close to everything downtown and shuttle service to and from the airport, but we had spent two days in a B&B that was terrific, so it certainly didn't compare to that. Basic, budget accommodations at a premium price. The people at the front desk were helpful and polite, and the choices are limited in Sitka, so if you decide to stay in a hotel, this is probably as good as anything.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor away from the noisy bar.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Incognito-one
Reviewed June 18, 2011

views on harbor side only good on 3rd and 4th floors. All views are of parking lots/roof/vents.. Loud bar open late on harbor side. Lots of screaming/laughing in parking area after bar closes. Usually lasts until 2:00am. People there to fish are up at 4:30am to get ready and walls/floors are very thin. Lots of showering/dressing noises, Sitka likes their town clean so street cleaners make rounds every other day between 4:00am and 6:30am. They are incredibly noisy as they circle parking lots over and over. All of Sitka's larger hotels are subject to this noise. When you drag yourself down to breakfast needing coffee after a haggard nght, don't expect much. They frequently run out of coffee, juice, pastry. Most days they had only cheerios and rice chex. I averaged three hours of sleep at night during my stay. Hotel charges were excessive -over $200.00 per night for a single room. Had the feel of a Super8 hotel. I could not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: harbor side on 3rd/ 4th floor -AND BRING EARPLUGS
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank OregonTravelerx2
Reviewed May 14, 2011

I recently stayed here for business. The goods: Decent customer service, room was clean, location is great, free airport shuttle. However, the room was small and cramped. It was stuffy. If you are on the backside of the hotel the bar noise can be a bit much - especially on a weekend night. You could hear noise from other rooms. The bedding was not so nice - icky old-style bedspreads that slid off the velour blanket. They did have free internet and breakfast. Overall, a typical budget hotel at way over the price.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business