“Gorgeous, Historical, Unique”

and up
Sitka Super Saver: Whale-Watching Cruise and City Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #2 of 54 things to do in Sitka
Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was my number one attraction in Sitka. Everyone knows what Totem poles are, but the video in the visitor center was so thorough and historical and really gave life and meaning to the totems. We were lucky enough to catch a pedicab (cart pulled by a bicycle) from the dock straight to the Totem park, and he told us not to miss the informative video, and I'm so grateful he did. Walking through the park itself after that was not only absolutely beautiful, but peaceful and soothing. After several days on a busy cruise ship, this was absolutely perfect.

But my number one recommendation for this Totem park is to look on the BACK of the Totems - there is a small plaque with a phone number and stop number. Call that number on your cell phone, put it on speaker phone, and a recording will tell you the history, story, interpretation, purpose, etc., of each Totem. That was my absolute favorite feature of the park, and I tried to tell people about it as we passed. It kind of embarassed my husband, but it adds such depth to what you're seeing.

We also saw more wildlife here than the whole rest of the cruise. People were wandering off the paths and perusing the tidepools, which are always fascinating for us land-lovers. We saw maybe a dozen bald eagles flying or sitting in treetops. We watched large fish jumping almost constantly out in the harbor. Silly things like squirrels right next to the path were also fun. There weren't many flowers, but I can't emphasize enough the serenity and beauty of that little forest. Definitely a highlight of our trip and an awesome contribution to the already beautiful town of Sitka.

4  Thank Bregita19
in 48 reviews
"carver"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed July 24, 2012

A nice walk to view the totem poles and you can do a very small walk or choose to go all around the trails. The narratives at the poles was really neat.

Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

A beautiful walk along the water among the totem poles. Visitor center has older poles and rangers can talk on the different styles and cultures. There is also a wing with artists doing carving, jewelry and beadwork. Fun, educational and free!

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I love this park! It's my 3rd time there, and it's always a surprise and a great way to say my goodbyes and thanks to a wonderful time in Sitka.