“Great Tour”
Review of Sitka Salmon Tours

Sitka Salmon Tours
Ranked #21 of 32 Tours in Sitka
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We did this tour yesterday afternoon and really enjoyed it. The two guides were great and very knowledgeable. We walked through beautiful forests and over and along the Indian River, habitat for some of the salmon and then down to the harbor to see the boats in the fleet. We learned about 5 kinds of salmon in this area and learned the role of fish hatcheries and the conservation efforts that the fishermen of Sitka are making in partnership with many other groups. We would highly recommend this tour.

There are newer reviews for Sitka Salmon Tours

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Going on a Sitka Salmon Tour was one of the best decisions we made on how to spend our limited time in Sitka. Who could have guessed there is so much to know about salmon? Focusing on just this one animal opens doors to the region’s history, its culture, people, economy, environment, and more. Nic Mink is an outstanding tour guide. He moved us smoothly through the Sheldon Jackson Hatchery, Totem Park, and the docks, all the while sharing his impressive wealth of knowledge. We especially loved the unforgettable mnemonic device he gave us to remember the five basic types (you’ll have to take a tour to learn it!). Sitka Salmon Tours was a highlight of our mid-June visit to Sitka—we would return for another tour in a heartbeat!

Reviewed March 13, 2012

On a beautiful 2 hr tour, I experienced old growth forests, thousands of salmon returning to spawn, totem poles, crystal clear rivers, and mountain views across the sound. This was followed by viewing a hatchery, and seeing the different types of salmon fishing boats at the docks. This tour explained the life cycle and history of salmon as it relates to the sustainability of the forests and modern fishing practices in Sitka. Fantastic tour! Very informative and gorgeous scenery.

1  Thank Ann M
Reviewed August 30, 2011

I live in Sitka, and when my dad came to visit I was looking for something in town we could do, and I am so happy we found Sitka Salmon Tours.

Living in Sitka, I know a lot about salmon, salmon runs, salmon fishing, and everything else related to salmon.

Wow I was wrong.

Our tour leader was a university professor who was extremely knowledgeable about everything fish related. We saw the salmon spawning, we went to the docks and learned about how salmon are fished, we went to the salmon hatchery, we walked through the forest and learned how the forest supports the salmon runs.

What was so amazing to me though was that I live here - I've been through the forest and to the river and the docks - and yet I still did not know so much of this information.

Very fun, very informative, I will definitely be back with friends and family next time they visit Sitka.

1  Thank Brian S
Reviewed August 26, 2011

While taking my third trip to Alaska on a cruise ship my sense of propiety was offended by yet another string of shops selling T-shirts, jewelry, or furs. I was missing my dog back home and would have payed to pet a stranger's dog on the streets of Sitka. I talked my reluctant wife into the Sitka Salmon Tour and met with Nick the tour guide with little expectations. We were greeted by a youngish scruffle face bearded guy with a rag bag of a backpack who looked like he was fresh off the deck of "Whale Wars". Who would have thought he had a PHD. As it turned out, I miss judged him as I often do when meeting strangers. He took us on the most delightful, interesting walking tour of the forest passing over a salmon stream on the edge of town. We then went through the local salmon hatchery and met Hercules, a fish with a rugged past that would write a book on survival if it could. The tour concluded at the marina to see local fishing boats and discuss techniques and gear used in the piscatorial pursit. This 2 hour tour was such a welcome relief to cruise life and felt like a breath of fresh air. I found the tour to be intellectualy stimulating and no questions went without answer. The only thing missing of course, was Nick should have brought a dog.

1  Thank RVee123