Review Highlights
Don't miss out on this!! Unforgettable!!

Despite all of the uncertainties and travel advisories in play at the moment -- I took the plunge... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Aphrodite76
Alameda, California
Best excursion of our trip!!

We went on a cruise last June 2019! Sorry Paul just getting to writing you a review! I say hands... read more

Reviewed February 15, 2020
FunMAMAofthree
Vernon Hills, Illinois
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Sitka
from $80.77
from $89.58
from $282.06
from $205.13
More Info
All reviews captain paul lazaria island wildlife tour sea lions paul's tour small boat his enthusiasm sitka sound tufted puffins exotic birds amazing wildlife whale watching grey whales larger boats oyster catchers cruise ship wonderful guide
Selected filters
Reviewed May 13, 2019 via mobile

If you have a desire to see Alaskan sea life up close and personal, Paul with Gallant adventures is your man. Paul is friendly and engaging with intimate knowledge of the area having been born and raised in Alaska. This is a small group experience, no more than six guests on a well maintained vessel that has both open air viewing as well as enclosed space in case of inclement weather. My 80 year old dad and I booked this tour during a stop on our cruise and it was the highlight of our entire trip. We saw grey whales, sea otters, seals, bald eagles, tufted puffins, rhinoceros auklets, murres, orange and purple sea stars, anemones, and pink and red encrusting sponges. Paul is a true ocean cowboy who is able to maneuver his boat into places the larger boats would be unable to navigate. I highly recommend this trip- you will not be disappointed!

2  Thank lizzie43656
gallantadventures, Owner at Gallant Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2019

Thank you SO MUCH, Liz, for taking a moment to write me a review and even more so for choosing ME to take you and your dad out exploring the awesome area around Sitka! I had a really fun morning with you and it was a pleasure meeting the two of you and I hope to see you again sometime! You Truly never know what you’re going to see when out exploring the pristine ecosystem around Sitka, but it’s always a lot of fun and we always see some sort of cool action! Even the slowest wildlife days are better than most areas would even dream. Then you add the amazing scenery and Sitka is hard to beat! Thanks again!!

Reviewed May 9, 2019 via mobile

Best wildlife tour ever! Capt Paul was great - very knowledgeable. It was supposed to be a 3 hr tour but he doesn’t stop until he’s satisfied that you’ve had the perfect trip. Highly recommend!!!

3  Thank janbresco
gallantadventures, Owner at Gallant Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2019

Thanks for the 5 star review, Jan! It was really nice meeting you and your daughter and I appreciate you taking the time to write me a review! As you are well aware, the area around Sitka is just SO COOL and I really enjoyed our morning exploring the area for wildlife! While the minus tide at St. Lazaria was pretty awesome, my highlight was that Gray Whale feeding in that shallow river channel!

Reviewed May 9, 2019 via mobile

Absolutely fantastic! Took me and my mom out on a 4 hour tour! We saw lots of sea otters...including mamma otters w their pups, and eagles, puffins, whales, sea urchins and more! Paul was very knowledgeable, fun and made sure we saw everything we wanted to see!!...but I am sure he made up Mt Edgecomb volcano ...as that stayed hidden in the clouds :)

2  Thank 882jeniferf

Hi Jen! Thankfully you were staying in town for a few days because the sky’s cleared up and you were able to see the Volcano and know that I wasn’t pulling your leg! I had a really fun morning out exploring with you and hope to see you again sometime! Thanks for the 5 star review! I REALLY appreciate it!!

Reviewed March 28, 2019

You're missing out if you don't book this trip! We had the ABSOLUTE BEST TIME in Sitka on our trip out with Paul and Gallant Adventures. It was definitely THE highlight of our entire 2 week Alaskan cruise vacation. and even though we were really looking forward to this trip beforehand-It still exceeded expectations. Sitka is certainly stunning and anyone would be missing out if they didn't experience it with Capt. Paul. He knows where the best wildlife is and we now call him the Whale Whisperer! Highly Highly Highly recommended!

Date of experience: March 2019
8  Thank TCrane9845
gallantadventures, Owner at Gallant Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2019

Good to hear from you, Tom! It was a pleasure spending the morning out on the water with you and Melissa and I just had the best time! Obviously some days are better than others, but my experience helps me turn slow days into exciting days. I remember being a bit nervous before your tour started because it had been slow the previous day and the weather also wasn’t ideal. Nevertheless, I hit a few spots that gave me a good feeling and, Bam!, we were able to capitalize on some steller action when other boats were striking out. With that being said, I want to thank you again for choosing me (Gallant Adventures!!!) to take you out exploring the amazing area around Sitka! I hope to see the 2 of you again sometime!

Reviewed January 26, 2019

We visited Sitka during the summer of 2018 and chose Gallant Adventures for a boat trip out to see wildlife. Wow are we glad we did! We knew immediately that we were in good hands from the first moment that we met him. His boat was very close to our meeting place and was clean and tidy with big windows. The entire trip was the most fun adventure we have ever done and that says a lot because we have done some really cool things in our lifetime. We cruised through narrrow passages through forested islands and there was wildlife all over the place. We had a couple amazing whale encounters where one completely jumped out of the water making a huge BOOM and splash when it landed. We saw a raft of maybe 30 sea otters where some had their arms locked together. There were huge sea lions and seals and bald eagles. And then Captain Paul took us to this island that had the most amazing caves and all kinds of rare birds including TWO species of puffins. It’s extremely uncommon to see 2 types of puffins at one time. The whole trip was completely amazing and we wished we had chosen the longer tour option as we were so sad to get off the boat. When we got back to town we heard other people couples talking about how the different boat tours they went on didn’t see any whales. This was further proof that we made the right choice. Gallant’s extra effort makes the difference and is clearly the tour company to choose when anyone visits Sitka. We visited on a cruise ship and are now planning a trip to stay in Sitka for a week just so we can go out with Gallant a couple more times. That’s how much fun we had! You will not be disappointed. Don’t even think about it...Book with Gallant Adventures!!! Thank you so much for everything!

Date of experience: August 2018
13  Thank forgetmenotflowergir
gallantadventures, Owner at Gallant Adventures, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2019

Patrica & Stu,
Good to hear from you and thank you so much for another 5 star review! I’m glad to hear that you had such a good time and I’m looking forward to seeing the 2 of you again this July! I try REALLY hard to get my people on the best possible action for that particular day. Obviously some days are better than others when wildlife and weather are factors, but my experience and background gives me an advantage over some of the other operators. Thank you for taking the time to write me such a thoughtful review and I’m excited about seeing you again this upcoming summer!