“Rather dear for what they ought to do best”
Review of Little Tokyo

Little Tokyo
Ranked #18 of 44 Restaurants in Sitka
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed August 24, 2014

$60, with tip, for two beers and six orders of o-nigiri: that's right, three pairs of sushi niblets, the same type, for each of us; halibut, yellowtail, salmon. Twelve individual sushi patties. Between $4 and $5 the patty, My wallet is still bleeding. Those are the fish, we were told, that they buy off the Sitka docks, the rest is flown in. Jeepers creepers, glad we didn't order the imported fihs! ...Or should we have done sashimi? Maybe $40 was the cost of the rice. Anyhow: No service to speak of, we sat at the sushi counter. Atmosphere, linoleum-and-formica. But till the cruise ships get a sushi chef on board, this is what, it seems, the market will bear. Not recommended: Go down the road to The Pub ("Bayview Pub Sitka"), have just-as-good food (albeit cooked) and a better time, and pay less.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

They really work fast and hard to please you, but the quality of their fish is not sushi grade. As a matter of fact, I am not even sure it is B grade. When I first arrived here it was A+ grade, but I don't think they have enough business to pay for the fish.

Reviewed March 1, 2014

It's an ordinary looking place but there's a welcome inside, a lot on the menu and what we tried was excellent. Sushi, yummy gyoza, edamame, soba - we were lloking for a light lunch but this became a bit of a feast. Little Tokyo is good.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

I loved the Alaskan Rolls, favorite, spicy tuna, Rainbow roll, Philadelphia Roll, and a Kirin beer or two.......

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Last night I dined at Little Tokyo, we go there every few weeks for nice Japanese food. I reviewed other reviews, and saw that many were from sushi "experts" from large cities in the US. And, I found many of the reviews really annoying, the most annoying reviews commented on lack of fish in a fishing community. OK these are tourists who don't know that the wholesale and retail price of fish is high in Sitka, Alaska prices, so you won't get a slab of king salmon or halibut on your sushi. Check the price of fish before you write about fish prices.

Instead you get good sushi. This town has a long association with Japan. Um, your jet landed on Japonski Island. A large Japanese Corporation ran a HUGE business in this town for years. So, we aren't dopes about sushi.

The array of sushi options is huge, flavorful and interesting; the sushi is prepared beautifully (visually and taste-wise). The waitstaff is friendly and quick. Oh yes, comments about the waitstaff are also annoying; have any of you been to Asia???

OK, my only negatives, yes the chicken in the bento is a bit crispy, and I wish they had tempura veggies for dinner.

Otherwise this is a great place and a real asset to Sitka.