$224
Super 8 by Wyndham Sitka(Sitka)(Great Value!)
$181
$200
Hotels.com
All reviewssheldon jackson museumdormlockvolunteersartsluggageclosetbeds
Reviewed June 13, 2017 via mobile

I called and reserved a bed during the hours the volunteers are there no problem. I flew in and took the free shuttle to westmark hotel and walked to hostel from there. Easy to find. Friendly and helpful staff. Plenty of space for backpack and also a closet to lock things up. The shower and bathrooms are clean. The beds were clean and comfortable. Perfect for a place to shower and sleep. I enjoyed the other visitors staying there the night I was. We all went to bayview pub for a drink and conversation and enjoyed our time together!

The hostel also has a full functioning kitchen an it is clean and the dishes are as well.

Great place and great people!

Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed June 12, 2017

We stayed here for one night during the Sitka Summer Music Festival. The hostel is located near the campus of the fine arts festival and the Sheldon Jackson Museum (it used to be part of the campus, actually), so we felt like we were right in the heart of the arts scene. It's an easy 5-10 minute walk from the concert hall and the main attractions downtown, and about the same to the totem trail. The volunteer staff were friendly and helpful, giving us directions and recommendations and telling us a bit about the history of the building. We stayed in the coed dorm upstairs, which has everything you need--a small kitchen area, a shared (but single-person) bathroom, and plenty of books and games. Everything was clean and very efficiently run. The beds aren't the comfiest, but the dorm is quiet and reasonably dark (for an Alaskan summer), and I got a good night's sleep. Lock boxes are available for a nominal fee. You can't beat the value, location, or character of this place!

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 24, 2017

I stayed at the hostel in March. Very friendly service. Kay was wonderful! I was able to leave my luggage and things upstairs in my area without worrying about it getting stolen. The showers were clean, the rooms and the hostel itself was clean and had a friendly, retro vibe to it. Highly reccomend it for those looking to save a couple bucks and dont mind waking up early. Lol

Room Tip: The 14 day stay is cheaper if you pay up front than a daily rate.
  • Stayed: March 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed March 19, 2017 via mobile

I called in a reservation a month in advance for the family room. When we made the reservation we offered to pay for the entire stay with credit card or put down a deposit. This was not necessary we were told.

My wife and I arrived on the morning flight to Sitka and the hostel isn't open during the day, so we schlepped our bags around for most of the day but had a good time. Upon our arrival at 6pm the person scheduled for duty was not present. One of the other volunteers kindly accommodated us in her absence. After we got inside we were informed by this volunteer that our room had been rented out on a monthly basis by someone and was thus not available. Our name was on the roster but our reservation was not honored.

The owner, Kay, made no apologies or accommodation (discount, cab ride, alternate private accommodation) and acted as if it was our fault that her staff could not inform us that our reservation has been quasi-cancelled.

I wanted to support a hostel on our trip to Sitka. We have stayed in hostels all over the world. This one looked nice inside, was affordable, and had a friendly atmosphere. But none of that matters if they can't honor reservations and provide no notice.

Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John D
Denton P, General Manager at Sitka International Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2017

Firstly, let me apologize for the inconvenience that you suffered as a result of our mistake with your reservation in March, 2017. Yours was the only reservation that the Sitka International Hostel had for our double room during the entire period December 15, 2016, to May 10, 2017. I was the person that OKed the long term renting of that room in February when the opportunity presented itself. I simply failed to see your reservation in the book when that decision was made. Again, I apologize for my error. Secondly, regarding your offer to pre-pay for your reservation, the Sitka International Hostel is staffed entirely by volunteers. It is the only way that we have been able for over thirty years to keep our rates as inexpensive as they have been in a "high cost" environment like Southeast Alaska. Because our staff members are volunteers, we have constant staff roll-over. Rotating staffing has proven to create too big a challenge to keep track of who has pre-paid and who has not. Without continuity on the front desk it is simply much easier to know that no one who comes in to register for a night has pre-paid. Thirdly, I have instructed all staff who take reservations by phone to be certain to obtain a "call-back number" so that, if mistakes occur like happened in your case, we are able to reach out and attempt to work out ways of dealing with difficult situations. My hope is that we will never again face a situation like this where, when a mistake was realized, there was no way to contact the guest in an attempt to work things out. Being on your honeymoon limited our ability to offer you an accommodation on the spot when you and your wife did arrive. To the extent that you felt you were being blamed for the situation, I again apologize. The difficulty you encountered was entirely my fault. I assure you that I have resolved to improve the quality of my volunteer efforts in the future. Visitors to Sitka like you deserve nothing less.

Reviewed January 11, 2017

We had a great time at the hostel. There were only four guests, and the hostel manager let us select our room. It is very cozy, clean and comfortable. We could walk everywhere from the hostel because it is close to the center of Sitka. The staff were very friendly, and we shared the little sitting room in the front with them.

One reviewer wrote about the bad hours. Because the hostel was closed from 10AM to 6PM, we went to the great Sitka public library. We stayed dry and read books from the Alaska collection.

Room Tip: The smaller rooms would be quieter, or visit in September.
  • Stayed: September 2016, traveled with family