All reviewssheldon jackson museumdormlockvolunteersartsluggageclosetbeds
Reviewed June 25, 2015

Stayed in many hostels around the world and this one was one of the poorest hostels...This may be because it is run by volunteers and everything you have to do yourself (i.e. clean ,change the bed etc ) Our double room was very basic and needs updating. The inconvenience is the fact that the hostel is locked between 10am to 6pm but during our stay we were asked to leave at 8.30am.

• Stayed: May 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2015

I was the only tourist here! (Winter=low season). Two older men (locals) also stayed in the 12 bed dorm. The hostel was clean, easy to find and lots of information available. The location was excellent, 5 min walk to downtown. It costs $6 from the airport to hostel (be sure to bargain). The kitchen is part of the bedroom so you could hear when someone was cooking or using the microwave which was really annoying. Cost is $24 per night so you can't beat the price anywhere in town. There's a cute, small, hippie room in the back that has a TV, and comfy cushions to lounge around. Beds are very comfortable. There's an 11 pm curfew. If you don't make it back by then, you are locked out. (Super annoying). You also have to leave the hostel by 10 am everyday because the staff locks it...so make sure you have your itinerary planned out. The hostel also doesn't arrange tours. There were no tours available while I was there (the end of winter) so I did individual hikes around town. Alcohol is not allowed inside the hostel so make sure you head to the bars before coming back! I guess I would stay here again, just to save money but the rules are very annoying.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled solo
2  Thank TurboTraveler33
Reviewed September 3, 2014

I've stayed at this hostel two times now and each time was an EXCELLENT experience! I've never been to a cleaner more charming hostel than this one. The staff is EXTREMELY friendly, knowledgable and helpful. The beds are warm and cozy with real blankets. The kitchen is tidy, orderly and fully functional. The bathroom and shower are clean and just like at home. There's also a small entertainment room with a TV and movies. The location is great, just a block to the sea and a few blocks to downtown Sitka. The price is great at just $24 a night. I enjoy reading all of the Sitka travel literature that is available in the hall as well as the detailed nautical maps on the wall. This hostel is a great place to stay and enjoy daily excursions to nearby destinations and hiking adventures. Ah, there is also a laundry room to wash your soiled clothes after a good hike up the nearby mountain trails. The only inconvenience at this hostel is that since the staff are volunteers they are gone during regular business hours so everyone must be out during that time but that really is no bother anyway because seriously, if you are visiting Sitka, you want to be outside in the excellence of nature, not hanging out all day in a room.

Room Tip: I slept in the upstairs dorm. It has the bathroom, kitchen and entertainment room all right there.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ZuberChad
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My first time in a hostel and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. From my greeting, to my cozy bed (complete with bedding, pillow and plenty of blankets) to the coffee in the morning, it was great! I felt safe, and secure being a single woman travelling alone and it was very quiet at night for sleeping. The price was right and I will certainly stay again if the chance arises! Keep up the great work Sitka Hostel!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank M D
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

I can't say one bad thing about this Hostel! By far the best! They people that run it are so nice and will go above and beyond to help you. Also the location is close to downtown. It is clean and safe and so cute! I plan on going back! It was great! :)

• Stayed: August 2013