“Nice location, Nice hosts, Nice beds, Bad dog”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sitka
Sitka International Hostel
Ranked #8 of 14 Specialty Lodging in Sitka
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is a nice hostel located near the children's science center, totem park and the art school. Their lock out is 10-6pm. Would have preferred it to be 9-5pm like most of the other hostels in SE Alaska with lock-outs...mostly because I start my days really early, so I usually finish well before 6pm.

The beds are normal twin beds with mattress protector - not the standard, thin, hostel-style mattress in a vinyl cover. You strip the bed when you leave but it's already NICELY made for you when you check in. Ample blankets in the closet of my room with four bunks (downstairs, female). Bathrooms in the downstairs could use locks, and additional counter space.

Hosts seem very nice, willing to engage in conversation no matter how awkward. The sun room is small and the reception desk takes up half the space. For me, it wasn't really inviting.

The hostel loses a star for one reason: The first smell I got when checking in was of pee...urine... Mystery solved (inconclusively) when I saw the dog belonging to one of the hosts. Very well mannered, calm, kept on a leash (while guests are around, at least) in the sun room. Beautiful dog...but I'm allergic to dogs (nothing I couldn't handle with allergy medicine). Another host arrived the next evening and opened all the doors; so thankfully, the place aired out. I did, however, cancel a reservation for later that week and stayed at a hotel for my last night in Sitka.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mv2010

Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

This is a great place to stay in an otherwise expensive town. Friendly volunteer staff, next to the gym, the museums, and the National Historical Park. It's easy to cook and there are other convenient things for travelers, such as laundry, wifi, and a nice socializing area.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Actually that's all I need and I had it, so no complain at all, recommend it to stay. The closing for the daytime was a bit uncomfortable, but fortunately the Fire Station helps you out and also give you a radio if you get lost alone, they rescue you. I didn't need it, but felt better to be out on the trails.

Room Tip: I had a four bed woman's room and it was perfect.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

By hostel standards, the Sitka Hostel was very nice. We had our own room and private bath. The couple who managed the hostel were very accommodating. In fact, our ferry didn't get in until 1 am and they left the door open for us. Also, after we checked out, we were able to come back and do our laundry there. Nice sunroom to relax in and meet other travelers. The only drawback is the lock out. Our first day, it rained all day so had to hang out in the library. The hostel is in a Nice location...short walk to the historical park, Sheldon Jackson Museum, and town shops.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Connie B
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

I just felt like home when my hosts just welcomed me and made everything to make it a pleasant stay.

It was near a Totem Park which also was awesome!

Next time I visit Sitka, I'll stay there for sure, and I fully recommend you to do the same!
Thank you!! :)

• Stayed: September 2012
3  Thank PatyLoMx
Reviewed July 13, 2011

My partner and I stayed here for 5 nights in our trip on the Alaskan Marine Highway. We had a private room for 4 then had to move to a dorm as the room was booked. The host was really great, I understand that she is not there anymore. I was a bit bemused when we first arrived. Having paid $60 a night for the private room and bath, I was surprised to find that you had to do chores, clean your own room, and are locked out everyday between 10 am and 6pm. I am not opposed to these things, but I think you need to drop the price a little from the standard hostel rates. There is a kitchen upstairs actually within a large males-only dorm that housed several older men staying in Sitka to work in the huge fishing industry, which I didn't feel completely comfortable going up there by myself. There is a tearoom on the ground floor that has a toaster, microwave, etc and is very well equipped, it would be perfect if they had a stove. The front sunroom is a very pretty relaxing space to chill after a big day in town. The lockout is quite annoying if you just want to have a quiet day at the hostel which I did. I understand that the hostel is run by a not-for-profit organization but it is not made clear what they do and for whom.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank casiesse
Reviewed August 16, 2010

A new hostel opened in Sitka in 2010 utilizing a pretty cottage on the National Register on the presently closed Sheldon Jackson College campus. It is located downtown steps to the waterfront, shops, museums, historic sites, National Park. The women's small dorm rooms are located on the first floor with shared bath to adjoining rooms. The men's dorm is a larger room upstairs and it has its own kitchen. The kitchen on the first floor is compact, near the common room and front entrance. The hostel is well managed and I had a very pleasant stay. There is a lockout from 10-6 but it is easy to find things to do during the day. The hostel is architecturally charming and well managed. There is a chore list with simple tasks listed. I arrived in Sitka on the state ferry whose terminal is located 7 miles from town at 3 AM. Thankfully there was a privately run bus there to transport folks to town for $8. The bus dropped me off in front of the hostel and the hostel manager let me in when I arrived. Prearranged taxis also met the 3 AM ferry and were an option. I took the public bus to the terminal when I departed Sitka during the weekday. Make sure you have checked on transportation options if you arrive without a car after 5 PM during the week or on weekends. The community in Sitka made a great effort to open this new hostel as an option for travelers. I stayed 3 nights and saw the historic highlights but a longer stay would have allowed more depth. Sitka is a lovely location. The ferry travels exciting routes to and from the island. If you go to see the bears at the rehabilitation center out of town phone first to make sure it is open. It doesn't adhere to published hours.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo