“Sea kayaking in Sitka was amazing!”

Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures
Ranked #1 of 32 Tours in Sitka
More attraction details
Owner description: Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures is an Alaskan family-owned business. We employ a select group of exceptional guides who proudly specialize in small-group and private adventures. Join us for a sea kayak adventure to explore the very heart of one of the most spectacular marine wilderness environments in the world. We offer a range of services to match any schedule ability and preference - guided day trips, multi-day expeditions, outfitting and water taxi. Let's go paddling!
Reviewed September 10, 2010

My daughter (22) and myself (54) went sea kayaking for the first time. Dana was our outstanding guide. She was so knowledgeable and personable. As we started off in the bay she stopped and showed us 3 different kinds of starfish (she picked two out and we held them), we saw a bald eagle on the rocks that flew right beside us, and sea otters were everywhere poking up their heads to check us out. We had a snack of homemade cookies at a break. We paddled around many small islands with mountains shooting up from the shore shrouded in clounds as a backdrop. The scenery was undescribably beautiful. Our destination was a small island with a secluded beach and as my daughter and I explored the island Dana set up lunch of bagels with salmon spread, fresh tomatoes, hummus and crackers, and strawberries. Dana took us around the island and described all the plants (we ate huckleberries), picked up crabs and other animals on the shore and told us about them, and history of the area. A boat then came and whisked us and the kayaks back to the real world.

3  Thank cryanslp
There are newer reviews for Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures

Reviewed September 6, 2010

Great trip, wonderful views, Dana, our guide, knew the area and local wildlife. She was very proficient and professional. Always looking for things we might miss while we were enjoying the sights. The mountains, were spectacular from the water, and we got good pictures. We were fortunate enough to have Sea Lions active in the water within 25 to 50 yards of us. When we make it back to Sitka we plan to take another trip with them.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

We rented a tandem kayak from Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures for our own un-guided kayak trip. We spent five days exploring the islands around Sitka. It was a beautiful journey paddling in and around the islands, one that will be a lasting memory. John and Allison were so helpful planning our trip, showing us the best camp spots and made sure we were well prepared with maps, radio, bear sacks, and GPS. When the weather turned nasty, John even came out to make sure we were alright. John and Allison are very knowledgeable and I would highly recommend them for a kayaking trip in Sitka. Allison was so nice to take us to our B & B when our trip was over.

Reviewed August 7, 2010

I had neither been to Alaska (for very long) nor in a kayak before taking a 4-hour tour of Sitka Sound in mid-July. I found that kayaking is exactly the right way to enjoy the area and SSOA made it easy for me. My guide was both knowledgeable of and obviously interested in the area and also gave me all the information I needed to be safe on the water as well. The trip was very relaxed, allowing for stops when wildlife was spotted (which happened more often than I expected) or when anybody was tired without much pressure. The group was small and flexible, the weather was calm (but cloudy), and the lunch was delicious. I felt well taken care of and free to enjoy the area. The tour flew by and was the highlight of my trip.

Reviewed July 30, 2010

Great outfit, but wished we had picked the 4 hour trip instead of the 8. If your're not use to all day in a kayak, this longer trip can be tough on the back. Also a little dissapointed that the only wildlife we saw was birds and seals, with a quick glimse of 1 whale.

2  Thank PiierreFalmouth_MA_