Sitka's Eagle Bay Inn
$136
Travelocity
$219
$185
Super 8 Sitka(Sitka)(Great Value!)
$161
$143
All reviewsstrip mallmexican restauranttotem parkhealth food storequick tourrooms were very cleanyogurtfree airport shuttlebus stopeasy walkwent out of her waydowntown areavisit sitkafishing chartervickitiabusinesses
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I was also disappointed by the location which I had envisioned to be actually on the water. It is located across from the bay with tons of eagles, but with a noisy main road running in front of the hotel and it is indeed in strip mall. But, there are many positives to this hotel as well. We stayed three days and I found all the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious, very clean with a nice bathroom and shower. The beds were very comfortable. Although a king bed would have been nice, the queen was fine. We had a view and it was fun to see the eagles and the fish were jumping to release their egg sacs. Breakfast is carbohydrate heavy, we supplemented with croissants, cheese and avocado from the nearby market. Having a toaster to toast was a plus and the coffee was quite good. We walked into town through the beautiful Sitka National Historic Park in less than 10 minutes and I had a recent knee injury, so was not going very fast! It is also very walkable to the Raptor Center which you should not miss. The strip mall has a mexican/pizza restaurant with excellent pizza and there is Baranof Island brew pub a few blocks away that was also excellent. If walking is an issue, you may want to stay closer to town, but we found this location to be great. We also appreciated the ride to the ferry on our last day, as it is quite a ways from downtown. We had some trouble with the wifi, I couldn't connect with my ipad, but my husband didn't have any problem with his macbook. It did fade out occasionally, and probably they could solve that by rebooting the router once in a while. Clearly "verysiberian" could not adjust her expectations to Alaska. It's expensive, it's hard to get fresh fruits and vegetables, not a lot of restaurants and hotels to choose from, lots of run down areas and trailer parks. But, the scenery is spectacular, the people friendly and one should try to adjust to the culture rather than expecting it to be just like home. Sitka is a wonderful town. Do not miss the Sheldon Jackson museum, get out on the water in some way, Allen Marine has several good trips, there is a wonderful park at the north end near the ferry. Good idea to rent a car if you will be there a few days. Make reservations for Ludvigs if you want a great meal. They are closed monday and have very limited sitting. Enjoy the wild place that you are in.

Room Tip: It's nice to have the view from the end room, but it is probably noiser than some of the others off the street. The traffic does die down and we could keep the window open at night.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank happpycamper
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed here in August 2012 based partly on positive reviews. What a mistake that was! The positive and glowing reviews must be friends of the owner or something similarly corrupt.

1. We paid extra for a room with an ocean view. The hotel web site shows nice views of the ocean, but these neglect an important fact, namely that there is a noisy, busy street between the inn and the ocean that makes an putative benefit from the "ocean view" minimal and insignificant.

2. The inn says that it is a 15-minute walk from downtown. No, it is not. It is a 25-30 minute walk from downtown. This is based on two reasonably fit people in their late 30s who were not trying to go slowly and take in the scenery. More on the scenery later...

3. The inn is literally located within a strip mall. Yes, a strip mall. Furthermore, it is surrounded by crumbling industrial property that is a major eyesore, as well as trailer parks. (No joke!) Thus, the walk to and from the inn (which you will do many times if you stay here) is quite unpleasant. Keep in mind that it rains VERY often in Sitka, too...so you end up with ugliness, rain, and a long walk.

4. The "breakfast" is totally minimal and consists only of old, stale fruit that is at least 1-2 weeks past its prime, some sugary breakfast cereals, and not even full-sized bagels (only crappy mini-bagels that are all white bread). This is from a place that calls itself a healthy place to stay. Nope!

5. The inn says that each room has wi-fi and high speed Internet. NO, it does not! The wi-fi signal did not reach our rooms, and fails to reach most of the rooms on the second floor (which is where all but I think two of them are). This is with modern, 802.11N iPads, iPhones, and laptops. The Internet speed is also atrocious (<1 Mbps download and only about .25 Mbps upload). Notice why everyone is in the lobby using their laptops? They cannot pick up the wi-fi in their rooms! The front desk staff also has a totally weird and inconsiderate habit of turning off all the lights in the lobby at all times other than when the "breakfast" is offered.

6. This is the only inn where I have ever stayed that has a coffeemaker in the room, but no coffee! They provided only decaf. When I asked for regular, they said that they were out. I happened to go to the local grocery store and saw some for sale there. I guess it takes too much effort to replace supplies that have expired. I almost wanted to buy some coffee and charge it to the inn. This was a senseless, weird omission that is highly inconvenient. We stayed for three days and coffee for the room was never provided. One of the young women who works there even apparently went to the store to replace some items, but not the coffee it seems.

7. The staff are highly variable. There are currently three young women working there. One is a total chatterbox and has lengthy, detailed conversations with her manager in the lobby where everyone can hear what is being discussed. This is not appropriate as some highly personal issues were being discussed. One of the others is an ice cold fish who does not initiate conversation or show any interest in fellow human beings. The third one is the only good one; she is the tallest. If she's not working, you might as well stay in bed.

8. When you first check in, they make you sign a detailed three-page agreement that includes charges for all sorts of things, including $650 for smoking in the room, but even more for "more than the average amount of uncleanliness," $30 if you steal a towel, and all sorts of other no-nos. It creates an adversarial relationship from the outset and is not at all welcoming: very off-putting from step one.

9. The staff make it seem like they don't really want to clean your room. One of them asked me, "Do you need anything for your room?" as if that would be sufficient to invite a request for fresh towels, linens, etc. I felt like saying, "Yeah, I need you to CLEAN the room!" One should not have to feel subjected to such passive aggressive behavior. Clean the damn room, it's part of the package given the rates and is a universal expectation.

10. Oh yeah, and they have this totally crazy policy where if you put the do not disturb sign on your door, that take that to mean that you don't want your room cleaned FOR THE ENTIRE DAY. Yes, that's no joke. So I suppose that if I want to sleep late, have sex, or do whatever in my room, I will miss out on getting it cleaned unless I am willing to have it done only on the employee's preferred timetable. I have not seen anything like this before in my life.

Overall, it really seemed like the owner/manager did not know how to run an inn. They really seem like they are trying to figure out how to do things, but most people want a reliable place to stay. This is not such a place, I hate to say.

Room Tip: Do not pay extra for ocean view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank VerySiberian
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Can't believe some of this reviews! I think we stayed in a different "INN" but there is only one Eagle Bay Inn in Sitka. The rooms were not that bad.The rest? I honestly don't have anything positive to say, so I'll keep the rest to myself and believe me, we were not the only ones disappointed!

Room Tip: Rooms w/ocean view but in front of a busy street...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Ramalia2003
ScotandJenny, Manager at Sitka's Eagle Bay Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

I just have to respond to this, We are a mile from town. Since when is a mile so faraway?
We are in a complex that offers the following, whole foods store, cinema, and full service restaurant, and a pet store for those traveling with their furry friends. This information is on all of our pages on our website.
Sitka is on an island and either your are right downtown (there are three hotels), or your are outside of downtown, ( numerous inns etc.,) We have a quiet, comfortable Inn, across from Eagle Beach, and 3 blocks from Totem National Park, Indian River and The Raptor Center. The walk is approximately 12-15 minutes to town. We offer shuttle service to all our guests for a very low fee. Shuttle service to and from the airport and ferry terminal is free!

Reviewed August 7, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Eagle Bay while visiting Sitka. It is a little outside of town but you get to hike thru the beautiful rainforest of Sitka National Historic Park on the way to town each day. It's also close to the Raptor Center and Indian Creek Falls trail. The service was good, especially offering shuttle to the airport and ferry. The continental breakfast was basic but good. The only small problem was that a few details were missing, plenty of shampoo and conditioner but no hand soap for example. It seems like this is a newer place and I think they are just having some growing pains but overall a nice establishment.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TheSpeis
Reviewed August 6, 2012

What a shock. Located in a broken down industrial area right next to the noisy well-travelled street. No one actually works at the front desk. They give you a cell phone number to call when you need something then they act as if you are putting them out when you call. Oy vey. The linens are old, the beds creak everytime you change position, and there are no closets. The shower rod doubles as the only closet when not in use. When you use the shower you lay your clothes back on the bed. Small town mentality. Typical southeast Alaska. Do not waste your time on this dump.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Marc B

I am shocked that someone would be so disrespectful to Southeast Alaska. Sitka is a very beautiful place and we are very proud residents. We are a small family owned inn and it is not cost effective to have 24-7 front desk service. We do however have two staff members who live on site and are always available if needed, hence the phone numbers. The linens are brand new and organic, they may not have been familiar with organic sheets and towels. Our desk ours are 7 am until 7 pm and we make sure all of our guest are aware of that upon arrival.

By their end statement I would have to say these are not friendly, happy people.
Southeast Alaska is part of the last frontier, that should tell everyone who comes here it is somewhat rustic! This is not downtown Beverly Hills or New York City, but we do have wonderful ammenities( all biodegradeable), LL Bean quilts, all natural Melaleauca Cleaning products are the only cleaning products used, no toxins what so ever. We have received the Platinum Award once again on our environmentally safe Inn!

There are only two main roads in Sitka, we are on an island! We have 8,000 people who live here year round I would not consider our roads "busy", but being that there only two, you have to drive on one of them. I am from New York, I understand busy, this is not BUSY.