“Boat tour of Sitka Sound”

Esther G Sea Tours and Taxi
Reviewed October 13, 2013

6 of us went on a cruise on the Esther G for three hours one evening. What a great, fun trip! We saw humpback whales, sea otters, sea lions and numerous species of birds. Captain Davey Lubin has a sharp eye and pointed out many things I might have missed. Esther is a great boat for zipping around beautiful Sitka Sound. Davey is a safe and experienced boat operator. He is also an enthusiastic naturalist and history buff. I highly recommend Davey Lubin and the Esther G! Bring your camera, you’ll have an awesome trip!

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Davey and the Esther G have added to my incredible Sitka memories since 2007 -- there's no other like them, and I count Davey, the late Louie the Attack Poodle, and Georgie (Harrison - the current Attack Poodle), among my wonderful Sitka friends! If you have half a day or more, choose the opportunity of this tour and taxi service - complete with big soft floppy dog, full local biology education, fresh warm cookies, heated cabin if needed, and a generally wonderful experience. My cousin and I first booked Esther G for a taxi to hike Mt Edgecumbe in 2007, when recommended by our fishing charter captain. My father went with us when we tried again in 2009. We didn't summit the volcano either time, but Davey provided much more than just "cab rides," so in 2010, when I thought we were visiting for the last time, we hired Davey for the day. He took us on a beautiful tour farther north up in the inside passage than we'd ever been, and he and Louie hiked with us across the northern end of Kruzoff. Louie provided for bear deterence (hence the Attack Poodle), Davey was careful to watch out for my then 76 year old father, and me with my 2 week old torn hamstring injury, and he served us a gourmet lunch on beautiful Sea Lion Cove beach complete with Ludvig's yummy bread and of course Sitka smoked salmon :) Davey always has a smile and a hug when we see him around the marina or in town... It wasn't until this year (2013) that we had time to use Esther G again, but this time, he took my boyfriend and me back to hike Mt Edgecumbe (his first time). Another reason Davey and Esther G will always make me smile is because on that trip, when Brian and I reached the summit (yay!), he proposed! On the way back in the beautiful warm sun, we watched otters relax and munch, seals check us out, and a whale breach a few times. Then we just stopped in the middle of the Sound for awhile. We relaxed on the deck, enjoyed the breeze, talked, and looked at the beautiful glittering water and snowy mountains...nothing compares to that back here in Pennsylvania -- not the scenery OR the Esther G hospitality! I'm not sure what we're planning for our 10th Sitka visit yet, but you"ll probably have to compete with us for reservations with Esther G if you pick the wrong day in June 2014. :)

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We found Captain Davey Lubin and the Esther G in the Sitka visitor guide, made our initial contact via email. Since we were not on a cruise he gave us great directions on when and where to meet; we met up with Captain Davey right on time as planned.

The Esther G is the ideal boat for cruising around the Sitka area, fast and comfortable. Captain Davey knows the Sitka area and what’s available for viewing on the day you are visiting. We saw sea lions, otters and of course humpback whales; Davey was more than accommodating going after wild life we wanted to see.

We learned more about Alaska and Sitka in the three hours on the boat than all our time in school. Would we recommend Captain Davey and the Esther G – you bet. I think if we had more time the guy would have had us over for dinner!
Book an outing with Captain Davey on the Esther G, you won’t be disappointed.

Mike & Nancy S.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

This is the way to see Sitka & the surrounding area. The kids will love seeing whales, bears, eagles, etc. The views were amazing, & Capt. Davey Lubin is the best guide! A must-do while visiting Sitka...

1  Thank 794drews
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We first heard about Esther G through our travel agent who specializes in shore excursions. This was one of our most memorable tours we have ever taken. We enjoyed it so much, we took another cruise that stopped in Sitka just to relive the transcendent experience once again. What makes this tour so special above the rest was Captain Davey's expertise, warmth and genuine love and respect for the environment and wildlife. Choosing the Esther G allowed us to get an up close and personal experience with sea otters, sea lions, whales, bald eagles and breath-taking scenery. We saw lots of big tour boats with lots of crowds and just felt so fortunately to be on a vessel that accommodated our smaller group for the same cost. I have never met a tour operator who's passion was so apparent. We plan to return again and again.