“Extraordinary - one of the greatest adventures of my life!!!”
Review of Sitka Sound Tours

Sitka Sound Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sitka Sound Tours will guide you through a bevy of majestic mountains, ancient volcanoes, towering caves, and miles of ocean teaming with phenomenal wildlife, providing you with unforgettable memories of your once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. Sitka Sound Tours customizes your tour based on what you want to do and see while in Sitka. Sitka Sound Tours will take you to see migrating humpback whales, harbor seals, Steller sea lions, rafts of sea otters, lumbering brown bears, and perched bald eagles. Also be prepared to see up close Sitka’s commercial fishing activities, the culture and lifestyle of Southeast Alaska, remnants from World War II, majestic mountain vistas, hanging glaciers and ice fields, and ancient forests!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 12, 2010

If you are looking for a high quality adventure with someone who is personable, knowledgeable, and a heck of a lot of fun, Jim (owner of Sitka Sound Tours) is the guy to contact. My husband and I were lucky enough to contact Jim before we arrived in Sitka so that we could plan some amazing outings. We went whale and wildlife watching, and, our favorite, at our request, Jim took us to an off-the-beaten path hike that we will never forget. He helped us enjoy one of the best vacations we have ever had and we have been on a lot of amazing journeys!

1  Thank SeaLionCove
"cruise ship"
in 17 reviews
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 27, 2010

AK is OK but I came away thinking Sitka is beautiful partly based on my experience on this tour. There were 6 of us and the boat was the perfect size for us. We got to see sea lions, eagles, a salmon hatchery and beautiful scenery as we were guided by Jim who is knowledgable, passionate and authentic. We had two children with us and I know they were knocked by what they saw, what we did and what we learned. I highly recommend this tour.

1  Thank MABM917
Reviewed July 14, 2010

We took a cruises to Alaska 2 wks ago, and book this tour because of the good rewiew in tripadvisor. Firstable $ 260 (give me a break) for the 2 of us to see a few seals, a whale so far way that you could even see it , and to make things worst a very uncomfortable small boat. We had the chance to see more whale and seals from the balcony of our room in the ship than in this tour .Overall a waste of money and not a good experience at all...

Jim S, Owner at Sitka Sound Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

I regret that this person did not enjoy their time with Sitka Sound Tours. I have been in business since 2005 and do not recall one guest who complained about the quality of my tours in spite of infrequent marginal conditions such as heavy rain or wind or simply lack of whale sightings (this can be challenging sometimes). Sitka Sound Tours takes each trip personally and endeavors to provide the very best of what Sitka Sound has to offer. Sometimes I fall short but not for lack of trying. My preference would be that dissatisfied guests let me know firsthand so I can improve quality of service for future visitors. I do make a point of asking all of my guests if they enjoyed their trip.

Reviewed June 6, 2010

Jim and EJ took our family of four out for a wonderful and personalized tour of Sitka Sound; Jim knows where to look for wildlife and offers a wealth of information about the wildlife and the area itself. Sitka is a breathtaking spot- we enjoyed ourselves immensely and would recommend Jim without hesitation.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 4, 2010

Based on other travelers' comments on Trip Advisor, we contacted Jim Seeland via email and arranged for a tour during our short visit in Sitka. We wanted to see wildlife but also visit the hatchery and didn't have enough time to do both, yet also couldn't decide between the tours. Jim was kind enough to combine both into one tour and get us back before the ship sailed.

He was waiting at the dock just steps from where we disembarked, and we were out on the water in less than 5 minutes. Within the first 10 minutes of our tour we saw multiple bald eagles, a sea otter, and whales... and that was just a warm-up!

He took us to quiet escapes on the water where nobody else was around and our jaws simply dropped at the scenery. The tour of the hatchery was fascinating and the magnitude of what it does was astounding... in fact, this was the surprise highlight of our time witth Jim. He is extremely knowledgeable and entertaining and we learned so much about Alaskan history and wildlife, life in Sitka, and hatcheries... all while feeling we were the only ones around for miles.

We can't recommend him highly enough!

1  Thank justinenv