“Excellent trip, loved by all.”
Review of Sitka Sound Tours

Sitka Sound Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: After a brief hiatus we are back and booking wildlife tours for 2017! Sitka Sound Tours will guide you through a bevy of majestic mountains, ancient volcanoes, towering caves, and miles of ocean teaming with phenomenal wildlife, providing you with unforgettable memories of your once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. Sitka Sound Tours customizes your tour based on what you want to do and see while in Sitka.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We took our 4 grandchildren ranging in ages from 7 to 11 and we all had a ball. I highly recommend this tour. Jim will take you to see what you want to see and do. It is not a tour where you arrive, see and hear what someone else thinks you should hear and see or be on their schedule. Jim asks what you are interested in and proceeds from there. He was great with he kids and very knowledgeable. We did not feel rushed or concerned about anything. The sea life was unbelievable on our trip! Maximum number for the tour is 6.

3  Thank Zero231

Reviewed June 13, 2011

While all the other cruise folks were being hurded onto to the cattle barges, we were wisked out onto the sound on Jim's boat. Perfect size for us too. What a great way to see the whales, otters, eagles, rare seabirds and experience Jim's personal knowledge of the area and environment. What a bargain too.
On behalf of Perry, Lori and Zeke, thanks Jim. See you again, Mike.

1  Thank UnhappeyCamper
Reviewed May 28, 2011

Captain Jim provided us with an excellent introduction to Sitka and to Sitka Sound. We spent almost 3 hours on the water learning more about the area and seeing puffins, eagles, whales, sea otters, and more other birds and sea life than I can even remember.
His boat was clean, offered both open and closed spaces. He made a point to give u s a safety briefing before we departed.

He provided a fun and informative experience. Hands down, his was the best tour we took in Alaska!

2  Thank Mssteinrunner
Reviewed May 25, 2011

My sister, brother-in-law and I had been planning our Alaskan Cruise for 2 years. I was hoping that our tour with Jim would be as special as I had envisioned that it would be....and it was!

Jim was delightful. He knows the Sitka area like only a long time resident can. He adjusted our tour to accommodate what we wanted to see. My brother-in-law is particularly interested in bald eagles and we sure saw them on this trip. We saw about 15 and an active nest (from a comfortable for the eagles distance).

We also saw gray whales, otters, starfish, and a few other miscellaneous birds. Jim narrated our tour with lots of knowledgeable facts about what we were seeing interlaced with stories of previous encounters.

Now if you are reluctant about going out on the water, don't be. I told Jim I sometimes had a sensitive stomach when on the water and he assured me he could adjust the tour to accommodate me. Fortunately, the day was calm and there were no issues. Jim had great binoculars sitting within ready reach. Water and snacks were available for us too. There is a "head" on the boat, but I didn't visit it. Before leaving the dock, Jim went through a short, necessary safety briefing.

Jim's tours have a max of 6 people, so you will have a great personal experience on your Sitka Tour. I think you will enjoy it as much as I did.

1  Thank Casselberrian
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We reserved the whaleseeing tour. The boat is for 6 people max., we were 4 persons onboard + captain/owner Jim. The tour was finally quite customized, we just told Jim what we wanted to see and he adapted the tour accordingly. We saw several whales quite close to the boat (this is the advantage of a small boat, you can get closer to the wildlife), a lot of sea otters, sea lions, a bear, eagles nesting on a rock... The tour was supposed to last 2h30, finally it was 3/4 hour longer, but we were not asked to pay any supplement - that was nice. Definitely recommended.

2  Thank LenMa

Been to Sitka Sound Tours? Share your experiences!