“Highlight of My Cruise”
Review of Sitka Sound Tours

Sitka Sound Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: After a brief hiatus we are back and booking wildlife tours for 2017! Sitka Sound Tours will guide you through a bevy of majestic mountains, ancient volcanoes, towering caves, and miles of ocean teaming with phenomenal wildlife, providing you with unforgettable memories of your once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. Sitka Sound Tours customizes your tour based on what you want to do and see while in Sitka.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Casselberry, Florida
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Highlight of My Cruise”
Reviewed May 25, 2011

My sister, brother-in-law and I had been planning our Alaskan Cruise for 2 years. I was hoping that our tour with Jim would be as special as I had envisioned that it would be....and it was!

Jim was delightful. He knows the Sitka area like only a long time resident can. He adjusted our tour to accommodate what we wanted to see. My brother-in-law is particularly interested in bald eagles and we sure saw them on this trip. We saw about 15 and an active nest (from a comfortable for the eagles distance).

We also saw gray whales, otters, starfish, and a few other miscellaneous birds. Jim narrated our tour with lots of knowledgeable facts about what we were seeing interlaced with stories of previous encounters.

Now if you are reluctant about going out on the water, don't be. I told Jim I sometimes had a sensitive stomach when on the water and he assured me he could adjust the tour to accommodate me. Fortunately, the day was calm and there were no issues. Jim had great binoculars sitting within ready reach. Water and snacks were available for us too. There is a "head" on the boat, but I didn't visit it. Before leaving the dock, Jim went through a short, necessary safety briefing.

Jim's tours have a max of 6 people, so you will have a great personal experience on your Sitka Tour. I think you will enjoy it as much as I did.

Visited May 2011
1 Thank Casselberrian

Lany, Czech Republic
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Whales at 30 meters distance”
Reviewed September 3, 2010

We reserved the whaleseeing tour. The boat is for 6 people max., we were 4 persons onboard + captain/owner Jim. The tour was finally quite customized, we just told Jim what we wanted to see and he adapted the tour accordingly. We saw several whales quite close to the boat (this is the advantage of a small boat, you can get closer to the wildlife), a lot of sea otters, sea lions, a bear, eagles nesting on a rock... The tour was supposed to last 2h30, finally it was 3/4 hour longer, but we were not asked to pay any supplement - that was nice. Definitely recommended.

2 Thank LenMa
Brooklyn, New York
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great views of beautiful scenery”
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Sitka Sound is beautiful -- islands, forests, wildlife -- and getting on a boat for close-up views was a great way to view it. Jim gave us a personalized tour and made good effort to take us where we could see whales, sea otters, eagles, etc. The landscape itself is worth the trip. (The water can get rocky.)

1 Thank DersuUzala
Sandpoint
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extraordinary - one of the greatest adventures of my life!!!”
Reviewed August 12, 2010

If you are looking for a high quality adventure with someone who is personable, knowledgeable, and a heck of a lot of fun, Jim (owner of Sitka Sound Tours) is the guy to contact. My husband and I were lucky enough to contact Jim before we arrived in Sitka so that we could plan some amazing outings. We went whale and wildlife watching, and, our favorite, at our request, Jim took us to an off-the-beaten path hike that we will never forget. He helped us enjoy one of the best vacations we have ever had and we have been on a lot of amazing journeys!

1 Thank SeaLionCove
New York City, New York
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Definitely a highlight of our trip to AK”
Reviewed July 27, 2010

AK is OK but I came away thinking Sitka is beautiful partly based on my experience on this tour. There were 6 of us and the boat was the perfect size for us. We got to see sea lions, eagles, a salmon hatchery and beautiful scenery as we were guided by Jim who is knowledgable, passionate and authentic. We had two children with us and I know they were knocked by what they saw, what we did and what we learned. I highly recommend this tour.

1 Thank MABM917

Been to Sitka Sound Tours? Share your experiences!