“Very disappointed.” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
Dumfries, Virginia
“Very disappointed.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

Don't let the pictures fool you. We stayed at the Victorian Inn at 330 Mechanic St., in the Johnson Room. First night there we had no hot water..(so much for using the jacuzzi tub)...left a phone message for the innkeeper but never got a call back...next day we saw him & he said maybe everyone else in the house was filling their hot tubs, thats why we didn't have any hot water...????.... The room was very, very small!...absolutely no tables/vanities, etc. No refrigerator or microwave in the room....kind of hard to keep drinks cold or heat up snacks! Tv appeared to be a 13 inch. Won't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank acevedo762

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

We had a lot of trouble making reservations to stay at the Woodruff. Their online reservation system did not give me price quotes and would not let me book online. I talked to two different people by phone and got the same price quote, but when I called back the next day the price was $9 higher (It could have been my mistake, but I don't think so). In addition, the online system offered me a 20% discount if I booked immediately by phone, but the person I talked to would only give me 10%. And finally, I didn't get an email confirmation until three days later.

The room was cosy and charming and looked like the photos. I liked the Victorian-style decoration, the jacuzzi tub, the general room cleanliness, the comfortable bed, the quiet neighborhood. The down-sides: the TV didn't work, the bathroom had a curtain not a [sound-muffling] door, and the glasses were dirty.

The breakfast was a disappointment. We were the only ones at the B&B and were offered eggs and pancakes at 9am. Everything was cooked and set out at 8:30 and left to cool while the cook ran an errand. There was coffee, pancakes, strawberries, cold syrup, and eggs for one (not two) people. I knew it wasn't going to be a big fancy breakfast, but I would have liked juice, butter, bacon or sausage, and more eggs. And we're pretty certain we were given decaf coffee instead of regular!

The Woodruff was missing a lot of the amenities of a fancier bed and breakfast, but it was also much cheaper. If you're looking to be "lost in the lap of luxury", this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a place to stay that is a little more personal and interesting than the chains, this is a nice choice. It seemed to me that the Woodruff had perhaps changed ownership or management recently and is either settling into mediocrity or working out the kinks. Look at more recent reviews to find out the direction!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed here and couldn't wait to get back home. First of all, we were under the impression that we were staying at a Bed and Breakfast. However, when we checked in we were told that our room was in a separate house approximately 1-2 miles away from the main house where breakfast was served. So "Bed and Breakfast" is misleading if you are staying in the Woodruff House. I was not impressed with the room at all. It was small and was by no means comfortable. They give you no choice for breakfast, you have to eat whatever the chef decided to make that day. And it's not what you would expect of a typical B&B spread at all. I waited over 30 minutes for a cup of coffee one day. Dinner was OK. This place is WAY overpriced and we were expecting much better. Ann, the Inkeeper was sweet, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2009

(This is long, sorry)
After spending a wonderful 4 days in the mountains my husband and I decided to check out the Luray Caverns on our way back home. Little did I know that my husband had secretly booked our stay at the Woodruff house. We had viewed the pictures via the website while looking at the general area of Luray- and it looked gorgeous so he wanted to suprise me!
When we got there for check-in (3pm) we were greeted by a friendly woman and given our key. We were staying at the original B&B on Mechanic street rather than the main one with the restaurant. Both B&B's were fully booked- we were excited! We took a trip around the block to the other house and arrived to the destination. It was sadly out of shape. It had vinyl siding with the windows having MAJOR wood rot that had just been painted over. The porches were the same- old rotten wood that had been painted over. We get inside to find that no one that works for the inn works in this house so basically the guest have the run of the house. While walking around touring the place the inn's maintenance man was there turning on the heat. (the week had been in the single digits and this day was warmer in the 20's and 30's) It was very chilly inside- but he turned the heat (baseboard) in all the rooms so we waited patiently for it warm up. When we got up to our room - which we were not that impressed with - we found that our baseboard heat had electrical wires hanging on it as well as curtains. We laughed it off and moved the wires and curtains so we wouldnt have such a fire hazard. The room had been decorated fairly okay. The light switches were hidden and the bathroom was TINY - and the jacuzzi was in the corner of the bedroom beside a front window.
While the room warmed up we walked around the house some more to look at it all - we noticed that the couch had 3 legs and the forth (front leg) was two bricks stacked holding it up. There were a lot of little things that made the place look very shabby and out of shape! The floors creaked terribly, and we could hear the exact conversations other guest were having due to the walls being so thin.
We went back to our room about 10 or 15 minutes later and found that the heat was still not kicking in so we lit the can fire but it smelt so bad we had to turn it off (it wasnt giving out heat anyway) We then just sat on the bed and read and talked and waited. All the while we are still in layerd clothing from being in the moutains with coats on top of that. We were still cold. Two hours later, still frozen. The windows were letting the cold air just pour in! My husband called around 5:15 and told them it wasnt getting warmer- so they came to check it out- they turned the stove/oven on to let more heat in the house- then proceeded to tell us they were going to go to Wal-Mart to get some space heaters for us. Neither one of us could see paying roughly $100 a night for space heaters. So after the employee left we called again and explained we just weren't happy at all and didnt want to freeze all night. They explained that once the heat got going it would be so hot we wouldnt be able to stand it- but again, we didnt want to miserable. My husband respectfully asked for a refund and we checked out. The staff was very friendly and gave us a refund with no problem.

• Liked — nice staff
  • Disliked — Lack of heat, House in poor condition
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
2 Thank annerew
Rockville, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2008

My husband and I decided this year to celebrate his birthday in Luray. On a previous trip we had eaten dinner at the Woodruff house's Victorian Inn the food was so good we wanted to experience the suites. What a great decision. The room was beautiful, The jacuzzi tub was so great we now want one at home, The bed and bedding was luxurious and very comfortable, the staff always went above and beyond expectations. We again had dinner at the Inn and the food was as good as remembered. Breakfast the next morning was delicious and a beautiful presentation. For that special time definitely stay at the Woodruff Inn. We will never stay anywhere else in Luray, once you have experienced the best, nothing else will do !!!!

• Liked — The beautiful room and private balcony
  • Disliked — We liked everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
BEST WESTERN Intown Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock

Been to Woodruff House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!