“We had a nice time”
Review of Rustic Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Rustic Cabins
Ranked #9 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Luray
Frederick, MD
“We had a nice time”
Reviewed February 3, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Starlit View Cabin (one of the three newer cabins – it’s one of the Top of All Views cabins). We really had a nice time, and the house was beautiful.

There are some things you should probably know before you head up there. Or, if you haven’t already paid the money, you may want to read this.
1 – read the earlier posts, there is some truth to what they say.
2 – the sign for Meadow Hill Lane is down. Don’t miss that downed sign or else you’ll head up some hills that most vehicles are going to struggle on. We went up treacherous hill after treacherous hill before realizing we must have gone too far. My wife and I wondered if we’d make it off that mountain alive.
3 – Communication – There is no phone in the cabin. Also, Verizon cell phones do not work up there (they work down in Luray, but not in Rileyville). I had my Blackberry, and that could send email, but that was our only form of communication to the outside world. I am told that Sprint is one of the few carriers that will work in Rileyville.
4 – Cancellation policy – Don’t think of this as a hotel stay where you can cancel up until 4pm. You need to cancel a month in advance to get your money back. You also need to be sure the cabin is clean when you leave or you'll pay a $100 cleaning fee.
5 – Remoteness (not sure that’s a word, but I’m sticking with it) – You need to figure out how comfortable you are with being remote. The satellite TV service didn’t work the first night. That might have been our ineptitude with Dish, but we couldn’t get any channels working that first night. We had no working phone or cell phone or TV. Like I said earlier, there was no communication with the outside world. But, we used it as a chance to catch up on reading and talking. My wife was concerned about someone breaking in and us having no way to call for help - but at some point I remembered that since my phone was getting several signal “bars” – showing there is signal from other towers in the area, I should be able to dial 911 if we needed to. That was re-assuring – it may be false, but it helped me at the time.
6 – I did see evidence of a previous lady bug problem as mentioned in earlier posts, but that seemed to be pretty much taken care of. And yes, as stated earlier, it is just a cabin with a beautiful view. Don't expect room service. Bring groceries. And bring board games or some books if you think you might get bored.

All this aside, we had a really nice time. The cabin is just beautiful. The wood work is beautiful. The views are gorgeous. We both caught up on some reading and had lots of time for good conversation. I got in the hot tub while there was sleet and freezing rain (it was great). The beds were comfortable. Yes there were sheets, extra pillows, and blankets. The electricity and hot water worked. There were actually some extras that we didn’t expect after reading some earlier posts. There was sugar... a coffee maker... a few spices… butter in the fridge… plenty of dishes, mugs, etc.

In Luray, go to the visitor center, the folks were very nice and very helpful.

- We had lunch at “A Moment to Remember”. It was great.
- We went to a huge flea market. That was my first time at one – it was pretty interesting.
- There is a Super-Walmart. That was helpful to know.

I say all this to say… Don’t despair if you’re like me and didn’t find the previous posts until a few days before your trip. The cabin is very nice. Everything in the cabin looked brand new and clean. Go ready to relax and have a good time… be sure turn onto Meadow View (don’t miss the downed sign)… get there before dark the first night if possible… bring some groceries… and expect to have a good time. Yes, I would recommend this to a friend.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Washington, DC Metro
Reviewed December 29, 2008

Thanks to the previous reviews from 2007, I came well prepared for the Rustic Cabins experience. I have also stayed in many cabins in Gatlinburg, and found these cabins much, much different.

I must first say that my friends and I had an absolute wonderful time at the cabins. They have an incredible view of the valley. We found them clean and ready for our arrival.

There are, however, several things to prepare for:
1) Take a 4 wheel drive. The gravel road is quite steep.
2) If you plan on putting on a nice meal, bring everything, and I mean everything you think you'll need for it from home. We brought all of our own kitchen supplies (knives, spices, oils, pots and pans, etc) as well as the foods. The kitchen supplies are minimal at the cabin.
3) Bring your own towels and toiletries (shampoo, toilet paper, hand soaps, toothpaste, etc)...and I would bring your own sheets/pillows too. I thought the provided sheets had a musty odor to them.
4) For the nicer, newer cabins, they only have one private bedroom on the first floor, the other bedroom is a loft room. So, if you're there with another couple, be ready for one to sort of be on display up in the loft (not a lot of privacy up there).

So my lesson learned by reading previous reviewers from 2007...bring anything you think you might want or need to make your experience great, with you. If this is not what you're looking for, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. I didn't plan on any management support, based on what people had written beforehand, so I came prepared. I'm not shocked or surprised by the horror stories of the previous reviewers.

These are labeled luxury cabins, but really, they are as the name suggests...rustic.

• Liked — View, view, view
  • Disliked — All the preparations to make it a successful trip...
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Virginia Beach
Reviewed November 28, 2008

We booked a romantic getaway in a one of these "luxury"cabins- since they claimed to be pet friendly, we brought our dog along for the trip. After driving along a horrific road- lock your doors and put your car in 4 wheel drive- you will be lucky to make it to the cabin alive. I cant even IMAGINE what would have happened if there had been ice on the road. We get to the cabin and we hear gun shots going off all around us (hunters)- Our dog is scared to death at this point. We were expecting peace and tranquility. YEAH RIGHT! We walk into the cabin and were met with hundreds of lady bugs flying around the cabin- hundreds dead on the floor, thousands of live ones in the windows. We see a note on the table welcoming us and saying he was sorry for the bugs- They were brought to the area to kill the moths. He also said if it was a problem, we could reschedule the trip. There was also a note asking if we could vacuum up the dead bugs!! We look at each other and saw that our shirts were covered with bugs, gunshots going off left and right, and realized we could not sleep in these conditions. For $250 a night???!!! We called the owner- who did not apologize- simply said he had one weekend in December (26th and 27th) we could have. Gee THANKS! We were stuck stranded in an area we were not familiar with and a dog. WHAT A VACATION!!! We finally found a hotel that would take pets 45 miles away. The owner has still not responded to my emails about our refund!! I have not seen a dime of my money. He blatantly knew there was a huge problem with the bugs, but did not even think to warn us before we got to the cabin- again, 4 hours from home!! He probably assumed we would deal with it since we had no place to go! I am not letting this matter drop!! $600 down the tubes!! We were in the cabin a total of 12 minutes before we could not stand it any longer!! DO NOT book a cabin with Rustic Cabins, Virginia Cabin Rentals. You will regret it!! These cabins are not LUXURY, not clean- This is false advertisement. We talked to another couple on our trip who had booked with them, they too had a horrible experience. They recommended All Star Cabins... Just FYI:)

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The Bugs
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Va_Beach_24
logcabinlovers, owner at Rustic Cabins, responded to this review, March 9, 2009
The folks came in and yes we did have some lady bugs, I take care of having them controled in a timely manner. I offered to reschedule their stay, they said they would check their schedules, a few days later they could not reschedule their stay, and yes I did a full refund back to them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Best Western Intown Luray
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to Rustic Cabins? Share your experiences!