“Very basic hotel”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Escondido, California
“Very basic hotel”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Nice hotel, but you get what you pay for. Very basic room although it was nice they had a frig and microwave. The pool didn't have water in it which we expected as the temp was still chilly at night. However don't expect much because it sits next to the parking lot and is small with a few chairs. I wouldn't stay here very long with a family as the town is small and there are only a few places to eat and a few shops. There are nearby towns and hotels that offer more variety.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Charee_CA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed for two nights and the room was clean and had everything I needed including a microwave and refrigerator and extra pillows. However, it's very basic. Don't expect amenities. The worst part about it was the bed in room 201 needed to be replaced. The metal base in the mattress was sticking out and hurt my shin. The metal springs were also sticking out and by the 2nd night my hips were killing me. The Wi-Fi only worked sometimes and the other reviews about smokers hanging around outside is true. My neighbor was standing right in front of my window smoking and I had to keep my curtains closed at all times. People walk around smoking in their PJ's at all hours of the night. The desk staff was nice but I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: I said the room was poor due to the horrible bed and the people that smoke outside your window. If y...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Desoree

Travelers are raving about these Luray hotels

Severn, MD
Reviewed November 30, 2012

**First Impression*
We arrived around 1130PM, the lobby was closed. However, there was a phone outside of the door, I picked it up and it rang. A lady answered. I told her I had reservation. She replied "i'm on my way" I was confused. About a minute later she drove up from somewhere to unlock the door. She was nice.

Once we got our hotel keys we arrived to room 203. We entered to find a clean, but very basic room. The decor was average. The AC/Heater unit was outdated though. It had push buttons for Fan/AC/Heater. Little did I know this would create some sleep problems that I will get into in a minute.

The bed was a King size with plenty of pillows. But the bed was very firm, I own a Pillow top, so I suppose I was spoiled. The pillows we're sort of clumpy/firm as well.

We were one of very few guests. And the fancy mansion hotel across the street looked temping, but I know it was probably $150 extra a night than what we were already paying for.

*Hotel dining*
They have a "full service" restaurant in the hotel that is open from 6AM to 10AM. We never ate there though. we didn't normally get out of the hotel room until past 10AM. They give you a 20% discount coupon for a meal. We left today (30Nov12) and wanted to eat there. The directory in the room states that it is open until 1030AM, but on the lobby door is a printed paper saying winter hours closes at 10AM. Go figure.

*Room complaints*
Anywho back to the AC unit mess. It was frustrating for me as I get hot easily. i ended up just turning it off on the last night. the temperature control (1-10, 1 being cold air and 10 being the hottest. There was no in between. It was either hot or cold..

The bathroom was very small. The shower was a tight fit. when the curtain was closed, you only had about 2 feet of space between the wall and the curtain. It annoyed me..

The staff was really nice though. No complaints there. They just need to update their rooms. good value for what we paid though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the building would be better for those who want to sleep in. The curtain w...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CCapaz
Maryland
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This place is scary!!!! We arrived at 6:30 pm with two children. There were unkept people smoking and walking around the parking lot and neighboring restaurant. Parking lot was dirty and poorly lit. We drove into town and inquired. Locals informed us of multiple problems with the hotel. They advised us to find another place. We contacted Expedia and hotel. We were told we cold not get a refund because we were canceling after 4 pm. This hotel should not be on the Expedia website.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank topherusso
New Jersey
Reviewed November 13, 2012

If you're looking for a simple place to stay with minimal accommodations then the Best Western might be your best bet. We've stayed at several Best Westerns across the country and this one was the least favorite. Definitely needs some updating. The sink faucet was damaged but workable. The soap holder was oddly positioned head level in the tiny shower causing a head-banging situation. The room smelled a bit like some type of cleanser. The on-site Alexander's restaurant is for breakfast only I think. It's practical but not bad and the prices were okay. The staff was very friendly.

Tips:

Discount - Be sure to check their site directly for discount prices. We were going to use our AAA discount but after visiting the Best Western site we found they had a cheaper 3-night stay discount.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Lake Ridge, Virginia
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We only had breakfast here and wished we hadn't! The breakfast was terrible - except for the sausage. We were at our table for over 10 minutes before anyone even acknowledged us. Our waitress was upstairs helping a large party when we arrived. The other waitress looked frazzled and "in the weeds". We should have kept driving. We decided not to inquire about a room...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank momworkdc
London, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here before checking out the caves in the morning, which were really close by.
The room was fine - clean, nice bed, coffee, restaurant on-site and parking was safe.
When we arrived it was 10:30pm and it was locked but there was a phone to call them and he came right away to check us in. He said because it is a small town everything closes early.
We did save with our CAA/AAA card.

• Stayed October 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Hotel Laurance
#3 of 9 in Luray
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Quality Inn Shenandoah Valley

Been to Best Western Intown Luray? Share your experiences!