“Wonderful place to visit”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Once Upon a Mountain
Ranked #2 of 14 Luray B&B and Inns
mizpe yericho
“Wonderful place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2006

We just left Once Upon a Mountain after 6 weeks stay. What a great time we had. Christa was a wonderful hostess. The view is exquisite. I loved to sit in the living room and just curl up and read a book. After a long day, 5 minutes in the jacuzzi overlooking the mountains and a steak on the grill on her patio cooked by my husband ended a perfect day. We had the opportunity to sample the restaurants in town and the Artisan Grill serves super sandwiches and the best ever bread pudding. But Christas breakfasts were truly a treat. We enjoyed meeting her other guests. Everyone we met over the 6 weeks was a pleasure to meet. Christa took great care of us and we couldnt have asked for more.The view overlooking her gardens towards the mountains is breathtaking and the house has a comfortable chalet ambiance. Dont miss this one!

• Liked — comfortable wam atmosphere
  • Disliked — totallt satisfied
  • Tips/Secrets — wirless internet available
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Chesapeake, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

I took my girlfriend to Luray for a weekend getaway and stayed at Once Upon A Mountain, we are a younger couple at 24 years of age. Prior to our arrival, I e-mailed Christa and asked if she could suggest a baker in town that would be able to deliver a dozen chocolate covered strawberries, the response was prompt and said that she offers them and would have them in our room for the date that I indicated in the electronic correspondance. Upon arrival we were met with a smiling and friendly face and as I was taking our bags to our room (Sleeping Beauty Suite) she told me that she forgot about the strawberries and promised them for the following and final night, there was a complimentary bottle of champagne on ice for the mistake. My girlfriend's parents purchased a bottle of wine that tastes fantastic with sweets for a "special occeasion", this was the deemed occeasion for its consumption. The strawberries never made it to our room as they were used for the next days breakfast and blueberry topped chocolate cup cakes were the replacement - and baked by a baker in town (who might have had strawberries?). I am not a fan of cup cakes as they are as formal as a 6 year old's birthday party and was extremely disappointed. Checkout was prompt and as I was taking the first of 2 trips to my vehicle, I was asked for my credit card so she could perform the financial transaction - so she didn't have to look up my payment information that she had already used for my deposit. She then requested a copy of the bill which had been packed. This, I felt, was unprofessional and irritating, I am the guest that was supposed to be pampered as this is an intimate B&B --- not a Holiday Inn. I have never had to provide my credit card to other establishments upon departure as the information was gathered prior to my arrival and expidited the check out procedure and allowed you to leave with a smile instead of partially unpacked belongings. On the plus side, breakfast was always ready at 09:00 and consisted of dishes that are not regularly consumed by busy people which was a treat.

2 Thank crmaslyn
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2006

This is a really lovely B&B in a beautiful, peaceful location with gorgeous views/sunrises. The host is charming and friendly and will make you feel as if you are at "home away from home". The house is fantastic and perfect for some relaxed downtime -- wish we could have stayed longer. Thanks Christa.

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

Once Upon a Mountain was exactly the fairy tale place we imagined it to be. With amazing breakfasts, a shaded deck with a gorgeous view, beautiful spacious rooms (one with a very large wonderful bathtub you'll want to live in!), a comfortable laid-back atmosphere, and a truly kind, interesting, and gracious hostess you will never want to leave. Christa's home very quickly becomes yours (the one you want anyway). It really is a home away from home.

• Liked — all of it!
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — do your research it pays off!
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

This was a perfect place to spend our annivesary. Christa is so friendly, helpful and warm. Her "Kids" - Mr Mack and Willie were wonderful dogs. The area is awesome. The view of the mountains is priceless. The rooms, the service, the hot tub, the fire pit made our stay great. We are recommending to anyone and everyone. It is wonderful getaway. thanks Christa for opening your home to all.

• Stayed June 2006
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2006

We've just returned from a delightful weekend at Once Upon a Mountain. One would be hard-pressed to find a hostess more congenial than Christa. Both the house and the setting are beautiful. The breakfasts were delicious and we were thoroughly impressed by both the size and cleanliness of our room. I would commend this B&B to anyone seeking a refined yet relaxing retreat from the workaday world. We had a wonderful time, and we're very much looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank rjletocha
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2006

My wife and I first stayed at Once Upon a Mountain in October 2005 and had a delightful time. The view of the mountains is superb. Christa was so hospitable, and we truly felt that her place was our own. She made a delicious breakfast and also had great recommendations for places to eat in Luray. We also enjoyed making a bonfire and roasting smores, and she generously let us use her grill to cook on the deck one evening. We enjoyed our stay so much that we decided to get married up on the mountain in May 2006. Christa made everything perfect--beautiful flowers, decorations, she even made mimosas and got us a cake. It really made our day special (we later found out that another couple staying at the B&B decided to do the same thing after seeing our ceremony!). My wife and I truly feel like we have a home in the beautiful mountains of Page County, and we look forward to staying at Once Upon a Mountain many times again.

• Stayed May 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,154 reviews

Been to Once Upon a Mountain? Share your experiences!