Once Upon a Mountain
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Luray
See available hotels
Skyland(Shenandoah National Park)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
View Hotel
All reviewssleeping beautyqueen suiteprincess and the peab bfire pithot tubonce upon a timewinding roadother guestsprivate deckmy husband and ibed and breakfastexcellent hostessthree roomsfairy talemake smoreseach morning
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 19, 2008

Our stay at Once Upon a Mountain was everything we could have hoped for. It was beautiful, homely, and most of all incredibly relaxing. While there were other guests there, other than for breakfast you would think you had the place entirely to yourself. Beautiful views of the mountains from the comfort of a hot tub. This was the perfect way to escape the hustle of city life in DC.

Betsy, the interim Innkeeper was great. She cooked very enjoyable breakfasts and was very nice and helpful with suggestions for things to do or just to talk to.

We would definitely recommend this place to anyone looking for a weekend getaway.

Thanks!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ericB22
Reviewed January 29, 2008

My husband and I just came back from the most relaxing vacation we have ever had. In addition to the beautiful view and the spacious rooms, Betsy, the interim innkeeper welcomed us like old friends. During our stay we explored the Luray Caverns and visited the award-winning Grey Ghost winery (which had the most amazing wines). Mostly, we just relaxed at Once Upon a Mountain and took advantage of the the outdoor hot tub as well as the firepit to make Smores! I would recommend this place to anyone and cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2008

My fiancee and I went there to celebrate our anniversary this past weekend and we would have to say that Betsy the in keeper was just the best. We really felt welcome and by the end of our stay we were more like friends. Our room and surroundings were beautiful. Betsy and the dogs took great care of us, from turning down our bed and chocolates on the pillows to a terrific breakfast each morning of our stay. We will be back and this time in warmer weather.

Christina
Oak Hill, VA

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2007

We spent this past Saturday night at the inn and had a wonderful time. Our room, Sleeping Beauty, was perfect. There was a fireplace, a nicely appointed bed, and a porch overlooking the mountains. Before going to sleep we made a bonfire in the backyard (the word does not really do justice to the expansive property) and roasted marshmellows. Betsy, the stand-in innkeeper was more than gracious, as were the two dogs :-) Breakfast was wonderful, and even though we slept in past breakfast time, we were still warmly welcomed with coffee, tasty quiche and croissants. We plan to make this an annual getaway.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kelizp
Reviewed November 28, 2007

First and foremost if the 'Princess On A Pea' room is the only available don't take it. It costs much the same as the rest of the rooms but is a disaster. We only took it as there were three of us and the room has a partitioned of living area with a sofabed. The room is not the size the web site shows and it is neither up to the standard. It is not a two roomed suite in the true sense. Also the TV, if you did go to watch a TV, this room has a 12 inch portable. I can't say I noticed the radio/CD player. Note the only closet area is outside the room in an alcove about the 3 ft in width with a collection of dubious hangers. No door. My son kept his clothes in his case the whole time as we could not get 3 peoples clothes in. The bed was barely a queen size with two flat pillows. No luxury bedding there! The bathroom was tiny with two very worn bathrobes. There were no toiletries to speak of other than two travel bottles of what I assumed were shampoo and conditioner plus some lavender shower gel ( the guys loved it!). Not even a cheap box of paper hankies. When we arrived we were told the outdoor spa was not working. Why? I'm not sure I believed this statement. Also don't expect a live fire in the lounge as they use central heating all of the time. Re the heating, you will see there are heating controls in the bedrooms but they actually do not act independently. The heating/cooling is ran off the central system. This means if one room wants the heat/cool fan on everyone has to have it. The noise of the fan in our room was incredibly noisy to the point of having had 3 hours sleep the first night I slept in the upstairs living room the second night!. The breakfast, whilst yes I suppose could be described as gourmet, was a take it or leave it affair, i.e. if you did not like what was put down to you, tough! No cereal was on offer not even plain toast ( first morning we had a slice of french toast on our plates baked with apples, neither of us like apples cooked so we had to scrape the apple off, that was basically it except we nearly had a full slice of bacon on the plate and that was that!). Coffee appeared to be on offer only if there was 'some let over' from I assume the 7 o'clock batch made that was left outside of each room?? I asked if we could have simple egg, bacon and toast for the second morning and was advised the breakfast was already prepared for the second morning so that was me told. It turned out to be I think sausage casserole and nearly a slice of bacon (no toast), but the server did remember the croissant this time! I assume it had been forgotten the day before? The outside furniture on the decks needed a good cleaning. I know the furniture is outdoors but lets face it we all have it and it does not need much to keep clean. Note the Innkeeper Christa was away on vacation so I do not know if things would have been better had she been around instead of her 'stand in' Innkeeper?? So to sum up we did not have a good experience and left one night early, if you have experienced real luxury and hospitality this is not the place for you. If you haven't experienced real luxury yet then things can only get better.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family