All reviews nature trail ladybug cabin bear dance shenandoah national park red velvet cake baked goods beautiful timber skyline drive my husband and i delicious pastries evening bonfire completely fell in love owners live perfect place to celebrate quiet cabin stayed longer exploring the area
Reviewed September 29, 2006

If you are seeking a quiet, secluded, scenic place to relax and chill out, you cannot do better than Shadow Mountain Escape. Karen & Ralph have created an environment which immediately makes you feel welcomed and at ease. The property, with an abundance of trees, nature trail, pond, and evening campfires offers a unique experience. We especially enjoyed sitting outside on the elevated deck of the Butterfly loft. The deck afforded a peaceful view of the night sky, as well as a great place to linger a little longer over the delicious basket of pastries with morning coffee on those early fall mornings. You should know that Karen is a blue-ribbon-winning baker then you will understand our delight when tasting the plum cake!

With so many interesting local activities, I appreciated Ralph’s recommendations on the nearby wineries, Luray dining, Shenandoah Forest hiking/driving, and the Caverns, even though there were plenty of detail brochures in the cabin.

I have traveled a fair amount and spent my share of nights in a variety hotels & lodges. Shadow Mountain Escape now ranks at the top of my list! I highly recommend it! I dare you to be disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
3  Thank gsmith4100
Reviewed September 24, 2006

Shadow Mountain Escape is just that-an amazing escape. We went there for our honeymoon and we could not have asked for a more relaxing, romantic atmosphere. I had read great reviews and spoken to Karen (the owner) prior to going so my expectations were high and I was not dissappointed. We were greeted by Karen's husband (sorry can't remember his name), who was working outside the Butterfly Loft where we stayed and before we could circle the yard Karen was bounding up the road. What a perky and happy lady! She showed us our cabin and the grounds and left us alone. The Butterfly Loft is perfect for romance and atmosphere. Karen baked us some goodies, gave us a bottle of champagne and it just set the tone for our stay. The loft has everything you will need, kitchen, dining table, bed, couch, dvd player, towels....just too much to list. She made sure our honeymoon was perfect. The area is a wonderful escape from the world for a while. Cell phones don't work but Karen let us use her home phone to let family know we had made it there safely. I could write a book about the place but l won't I will just say if you are looking for a get-a-way be it with your significant other or larger group, this is the place to stay. Shadow Mountain escape will always be our one great escape!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stacy2u
Reviewed August 30, 2006

12 people from our office came to stay here for our retreat. There was more than enough space at this beautiful location. The interiors were gorgeous, Karen was incredibly hospitable (thanks again for the delicious baked goods prepared on our arrival and setting up a fire for us!)

We couldn't have asked for a better place for our retreat. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank piersonr
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I have one daughter and four daughters-in-law! We wanted a place affordable, quiet, and unique to have a gals' retreat. We didn't want to do any work, just a place to hang out, talk, shop and have fun! This place fits the bill to a T. The owners are so gracious and inviting and oh those lovely little treats left on the kitchen table. Definitely a 10 and a go-again. Thanks so much!
Oh, found this place by crusing the web, some of us are from Canada, it ismuch more than the pictures show!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank a1a
Reviewed July 4, 2006

This retreat met our expectations and our expectations were high. The atmosprere was serene and the European country style architecture was exquisite. Karen, the energetic proprietor, saw to our every need. We highly recommend this peaceful sanctuary to all who are seeking a quiet "get-a-away".

Dan and Nora Berkery, Newport News, VA