“Shadow Mountain Escape is awesome!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luray
Shadow Mountain Escape
Ranked #2 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Luray
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We had a small "cousins reunion weekend" at Shadow Mountain Escape from June 16-19, 2006 for a total of 8 people. We ended up booking the Bear Dance Lodge (contains both the Dragonfly and Bumble Bee cabins which are joined by a large observation tower).

From the moment we got there until we left, we were thoroughly impressed with the lodgings and the caretakers alike! We were welcomed with baskets of fresh baked goods on both tables in both cabins. We immediately noticed how beautifully decorated everything was. There was an incredible attention to detail. It felt like a home away from home - not some sterile hotel room. The rooms were large and very comfortable. There were plenty of extra blankets and a ton of pillows! The kitchens were both well furnished with all of your cooking needs. This was perfect for our group because we chose to cook all of our meals there and spend some quality time together. The setting was perfect as we ate most of our meals outside. We even had families of deer walk by us occasionally while we were enjoying our meals.

Karen Riddle (the caretaker) was an incredible, friendly host. From our first phone call, we felt well taken care of. She assisted us with all our planning for our special weekend. Karen checked in on us through our stay making sure that we had everything we needed and helped us plan some activities locally.

The location of the cabins couldn't be better. First off, you are on a secluded private road. The cabins themselves are in a large clearing (several acres). So, there is plenty of room for kids and adults to play. There is even a small hiking trail that starts off right near the front of the driveway. As far as activities are concerned, the cabins are centrally located. You are 4 miles from the National Park, 3 miles from the center of Town, and 2 miles from a wonderful little lake with a swimming beach. For the fisherman (we had a few), we were only 15 minutes from the Shenandoah River.

Another important factor for us in choosing Shadow Mountain Escape was cost. When we compared what we spent there to doing the same thing at a local hotel or motel, it was much cheaper. Not to mention the fact that you got so much more.

All in all, it was an incredible experience. I can't imagine another way that it could have been better. Before we left on Monday morning, we had already talked to our host Karen and booked our dates for next year. We are counting the days until then.....

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank Tom C
There are newer reviews for Shadow Mountain Escape

Ashburn, VA
Reviewed June 27, 2006

Shadow Mountain Escape is so special because it combines wonderful accomodations while retaining all of the natural beauty of the land it resides upon. The propery has a nice nature trail and pond in addition to acres of beautiful woods and fields that we explored. We have been here several times now - both before we had our baby and after. We found the Butterfly Loft to be extremely baby-friendly and safe for our little crawler. The owners were happy to provide a high chair and pack n' play, too. We thoroughly enjoyed being able to explore the property using both the baby jogger and the backpack carrier. Our little one loved to look at all the beautiful scenes on the property. Another feature that I love about the cabins is the "rustic European" decor that the interiors have. I understand that this is due to time spent living in Europe by the owners. There is a new bar/rec room area that is also very child-safe with lots of room for crawling and playing games. We also love the flexibility of the cabins - we can either rent the Butterfly for just our family or we can rent all the cabins for a large group of friends or family reunion.

• Stayed: April 2006
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed June 27, 2006

I was looking for a place for a group of my close friends to spend a weekend away from the city, preferably a mountain location. I found it at Shadow Mountain Escape. It is a short drive from the Washington DC area in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. It offers plenty of comfortable cabins with a all the amenities you need. The cabins are timber frame construction and tastefully built. There are three cabins total all with private entrances. All have kitchens and Direct TV.

The property is well maintained and offers a hiking trail. There is other hiking close by in the National Park with breathtaking views of the Shenandoah Valley.

The owners are extremely accomodating and welcoming.

My friend really liked this place and we will come back. I highly recommend it if you want an affordable getaway in the mountains of Virginia.

• Stayed: April 2006
Richmond VA
Reviewed June 24, 2006

what a beautiful place,and good taste karen has the owner with the decorations in the cabin.we are sure glad a neighbor of hers suggested it to us.After staying here you won't want to stay in a hotel again.We are planning another trip in the fall, just a couple of cops from Richmond VA getting away from the big city playing golf.

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 1, 2006

I am a beach girl who loves the endless summer days lounging in my beach chair listening to the sounds of waves crashing onto shore while squishing the white sand between my toes. I never thought in a million years that I would fall in love with the mountains, but I am officially hooked!! The hardest decision I make now is deciding to vacation on the beach or at Shadow Mountain Escape! My first visit to Shadow Mountain Escape, we were driving up from the beach and getting our first glimpse of the mountains was breathtaking. Driving onto the property and seeing all the beauty Shadow Mountian Escape had to offer was exceptional. Walking into the loft and viewing the structure of the Timberframe totally blew our mind! We could hardly stay indoors, even if it meant sitting on the deck or enjoying the Observation Tower. The true highlight of our stay was the nature trail. Walking along the stream, we were both excited and amazed to see a bear watching us from a cove of sticks. We loved it so much that we decided to go back and spend our Christmas there and what a White Christmas it was!! Either season you visit, it will be full of lifetime memories that you will always treasure and you will not wait to have the chance to visit again! I can't believe this beach family has been missing out on this mountain adventure all this time!!!

• Stayed: December 2005
6  Thank Denell F
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed March 19, 2006

This is a wonderfull little piece of heaven. My husband planned a getaway weekend from the kids for my birthday and made plans with Karen about celebrating my birthday. She had wonderful ideas and recommended a wonderful restaurant for dinner. She made everything so relaxing and pieceful. We stayed in the "Dragon Fly" where everything was perfect. The cabin was tastefully decorated along with a goodie basket of homemade treats. They also provided a notebook of ideas of things to do while there, including a map for a nature walk of the property which I would highly recommend to do while there as it is absolutely fascinating information about the history of the property. I also want to express my sincere appreciation in the birthday decorations in the room. I would definitely recommend this cabin to anyone looking to get away from stress and a little R&R. Karen and Ralph are the perfect hosts. The property is absolutely beautiful. We will definitely visit AGAIN. Thanks again for a wonderful time Karen and Ralph, we will be in touch again real soon!
The Gravelines
(Manassas, Virginia)

Stayed: February 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 16, 2006

My husband and I stumbled across this gem in July 2004. It's a great, quiet place for a romantic getaway or for a family. We stayed in the smallest unit, the Butterfly loft. It was cozy and the real timber structure was beautiful to look at. Karen made some delicious goodies for us and left us a folder of places to visit. We stayed for 11 days and didn't want to leave.
I planned a surprise getaway for my husband's birthday in November, 2005. Karen was in on the secret and baked a birthday cake, leaving the Butterfly complete with hats and noisemakers.
It's the little things like these personal touches that makes Shadow Mountain Escape such a relaxing and cozy place to visit. You feel a part of a family.
In the evenings, there is a firepit to make a campfire and roast marshmallows or just to sit with a nice glass of wine. A barbecue is provided, as are all linens and kitchen items.
I'm planning on returning again this year and can't wait for my vacation to begin.
I advise you to check it out!

• Stayed: November 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
The Mimslyn Inn
The Cardinal Inn
#4 of 9 in Luray
Best Western Intown Luray
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to Shadow Mountain Escape? Share your experiences!