“Bear Timbers”
Lovely log cabin in the woods near the river
Full-size hot tub Living room with leather furniture and gas fire
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Full-size hot tub
Living room with leather furniture and gas fire
Living room with sofa bed
Brand new fully equipped kitchen
Solid rustic dining room furniture
King size master bed
Master bath vanity
Master bath jacuzzi tub
2nd BR with queen and twin beds
2nd BR with queen and twin beds
Satellite HDTV/DVDs in all rooms
2nd bathroom
2nd bathroom
Stone firepit with unlimited wood provided free
Full free laundry facilities provided
Two canoes and accessories provided
The beautiful Shenandoah River (you cannot see the river from the house)
Lovely grassy riverbank
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

jaypup201...
Burke, Virginia
“Bear Timbers”
Reviewed June 24, 2018 for a stay in June 2018

Awesome cabin with great amenities and in a good location. We enjoyed the jacuzzi, hot tub, cable TV/WiFi and being walking distance to the river. It’s a short drive to Luray Caverns and for kayaking with Front Royal Canoe.

Bring your bug spray - the mosquitoes are out in force due to the unusually high amount of rain we have had. The property has some low areas between the cabin aliing the walk to the river where they will ambush you unmercifully. :)

Denise M
“Not all advertised amenities were accessible”
Reviewed June 15, 2018 for a stay in June 2018
people found this review helpful

All in all, had a great weekend with friends at Bear Timbers. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the canoes unlocked from their chains and it put a slight damper on things since that was an activity we were really counting on and the cabin is advertised as having water access and 2 canoes. I have my own kayak so had I known we'd not be able to use the canoes that are supposed to be available with booking this cabin, I would have brought my kayak with me. We had already packed up the oars and safety vests from the cabin and walked them down to the water via the cart. The walk is a pretty long hike, and due to recent rain, it was very muddy. The canoes are chained right near the water. When we tried to unlock the combination lock, the code we were given did not work. We all spent some time trying to pull on the lock to open it, verified we had the right number in, etc. I wanted to call the management company to make sure we had been given the right combo since the lock literally wouldn't budge, and in order to do that I had to walk all the way back up to the cabin because none of us could get cell phone reception down by the water. I started calling the 3 numbers we were given -- the management company, and 2 numbers for housekeeping. Housekeeping eventually answered their phone and they assured me that code was correct, and that they are aware the lock has been hard to open due to the heavy rain. In fact when we arrived, the canoes were not even on the wood canoe rack -- they were both on the ground on top of each other in the mud. We pulled the canoes out of the mud and put them onto the wood canoe rack in order to get better access to the lock. Housekeeping said to pull really hard on the lock and it should open, but if we are still having issues to give her a call back and she'd come out there to help unlock it. I walked back to the water to tell everyone to try again. My boyfriend, who is actually a former Olympic weight lifter, was still unable to open the locks. We decided not to bother with the canoes since we'd already spent a decent amount of time trying to access them. I didn't feel like walking back through the mud up to the cabin to call housekeeping again, who I'm sure lives close but we would have to wait for her to come up there, and short of cutting through the chain or the lock, I'm not quite sure what she could have done at that point anyway to give us access to the canoes. Management sent me an email a little bit later stating that they had heard that housekeeping was taking care of our canoe issue.
The day after we got back, I sent an email to the management company advising them that we still hadn't been able to access the canoes during our stay and that we were bummed out about it. They apologized that we had trouble and said housekeeping is "working to get the canoes cleaned up and back on their racks" -- well they're already on the racks, we did that for them. I'm not really happy about the way they handled the situation. Had we been able to access the canoes, I likely would have given a 5 star review. The cabin decorations are really cute and well done. I'm also saying that I would recommend this rental to a friend because I'm sure management will realize the lock is simply not working and replace it for future renters.
Actually it's also kind of interesting that in writing my review here, I see that Trip Advisor wants me to certify that I was not offered any incentive to write the review. The management company sent out a canned email to me stating that "Every month, we give out $50 Amazon gift cards to one or more people who wrote reviews during that month". Not sure they'll pick a 3 star review to give the gift card to though lol.

Jun 17, 2018
We had record-breaking raining and flooding before this guest arrived. The river rose more than 10 feet and the shorelines were under water. Many canoes, trees, picnic tables and fire pits along the shore were washed away. The stuff that remained took awhile to clean up and fix. We explained this to the guest in detail. We had to replace the locks at all the cabins in that area and a lot more. We do ask guests to write reviews each month and have a lottery/drawing for those that do. We only ask that the reviews be honest. This guest was one of those people that like to pick fights over nothing and create controversy.
Clint M
“Clean cozy cabin close to Shenandoah River with hot tub and fire pit!”
Reviewed October 31, 2017 for a stay in October 2017
person found this review helpful

I was impressed with the cleanliness of the cabin, amenities, and location. It is located just north of Luray. We had plenty of firewood for bonfires in the evening, plenty of cooking and dishware, enjoyed a relaxing hot tub, a short walk to the river where there was canoes for us to use, and a wide range of movies to pick from for night time entertainment. My family and I really enjoyed the bonfires, and then playing board games in the evening. It is a short drive to many trails along the Shenandoah Mountains, which we took advantage of as well. Luray Caverns is near by, and other local attractions. There are stores near by if you need to buy food or supplies, and restaurants if you choose to eat out. I would go again and recommend this cabin to all my friends and family.

Nov 10, 2017
Clint, thanks for telling others! Enjoyed speaking with you and your family. We'll see you next time.
Curtis Y
“Fantastic accomodations”
Reviewed August 10, 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

Located just a few miles from Luray Caverns and the Shenandoah Valley State Park, this cozy cabin easily slept all 6 of us. I don't know if this is new or recently renovated, but it is awesome. Just a short walk gets you to the river where you can fish or canoe (supplied for you!), or just have a picnic on the shore. The hot tub was excellent. When we go back i will definitely book this cabin again!

Aug 10, 2017
Thanks, Curtis, for taking the time to tell others! Glad you guys had a good time and we'll see you next time!
Laura B
“Beautiful vacation destination”
Reviewed August 8, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

The cabin was near Shenandoah National Park for driving along the Skyline drive and hiking. Luray Caverns was about 15 minutes away. The cabin was beautifully decorated and had every amenity. We grilled out every night, enjoyed the hot tub and would take the short walk down to the river. Would definitely stay again.

Aug 10, 2017
Hi Laura, thanks for leaving a nice review. Glad you guys were comfortable and happy, and we look forward to seeing you again!
tlb_reads
Bluffton, Indiana
“Quiet getaway”
Reviewed July 22, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

This is a newer cabin just 7 miles or so out of Luray so it's quiet and peaceful. We saw deer every day. Lovely back porch, partially screened, and front porch also. Open layout made eating, game playing, just hanging out convenient. Full-size frig and dishwasher were a nice touch. Management was quick to address a couple of concerns and responded promptly with one exception - we were never able to get the jacuzzi tub in the master bath to work and received no follow-up from them on that but the hot tub worked fine so that did the trick. Some have mentioned neighbors but we never saw them. We did do the hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire pit which was nice. Really lovely "log cabin" style with exposed timbers inside added a lot of cabin feel. Lots to see and do in the area so it made a great central location for touring other surrounding communities.

Just a few things to be aware of - not criticisms but just things to note. 1) The cabin is set well over a mile onto a gravel road so prepare for dust, rock chips, and a 15 mph speed limit. 2) The top bunk bed is only about 24 inches from the ceiling so unless it's a really small child, you can't sit up. After a night or two you'll remember! 3) Notice that the summary of this property says "water access" NOT water view although one of the pictures kind of implies the river view. The river is a good 100 yards from the cabin so there's no view or sound. It is an absolutely gorgeous view once you get there, though. The bottom is very rocky so make sure you have water shoes to walk in the water which is pretty shallow for a long way and the water is amazingly clear. There is a picnic table rather far back from the shore so you might want to bring down the folding chairs so you'll have a place to sit and relax. We used the little firewood cart to haul the chairs. And getting into and out of the water can be tricky as there are only 4 cement blocks serving as the "step."

Only real negative (besides the jacuzzi) was that no one had evidently checked the canoes after the last renters left so we found one largely upright and full of leaves and water. Hope someone did fix this later as the four of us were unable to turn/empty it.

All in all, a great place as long as you know what to expect.

Jul 23, 2017
Terry, thanks for the suggestions and gentle nudges. We will take a look at those issues. Hope to see you again!
johnlayco...
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Our was serene, relaxing and beautiful.”
Reviewed March 28, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

My wife and I booked this so we could get away with our dogs for a few days. We loved this location because it was cozy and had a nice cabin look / feel to it. We didn't want to rent another house so this was perfect. It a very short walk back to the river which itself has views of the mountains and trees etc. They offered bikes and canoes which was awesome. We checked out the Luray caverns that aren't far. We also checked out some of the nearby breweries and the best was Copper Fox Distillery totally worth the short trip. Skyline drive is a nice half day or day trip with access to trails and other things. The staff and owner were very friendly and helpful. We brought a kennel for the pups and they accepted them to stay which was awesome as well.

Mar 29, 2017
Hey John, thanks for the nice review. I'm glad you and your wife (and the pups) were able to get away and relax! That's what it's all about.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing