“NIce place for a quick vacation”
River-front cabin only a hundred feet from the water
Modern hot tub, with lots of jets and bubbles, overlooking the lawn and river Canoes provided (and oars and life jackets too)
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
River-front cabin only a hundred feet from the water
Modern hot tub, with lots of jets and bubbles, overlooking the lawn and river
Canoes provided (and oars and life jackets too)
Large campfire pit and picnic table by river
Beautiful shoreline to fish from or push the canoes out!
Warm comfortable interior with sleeper sofa, flat TVs and fireplace
Full kitchen for cooking
Master bedroom with queen bed, comfortable mattress and linens
Second bedroom with twin bed and full bed
Full bathroom (shower has great pressure and lots of hot water!)
Unlimited firewood provided and a cart to carry it to fire pit
Whole-house water filtration, washer & dryer and central a/c
Beautiful shoreline to fish from or push the canoes out!
Canoe down the mighty Shenandoah River! This is what it looks like from above the river (drone picture)
Enjoy your morning coffee while watching the birds sing and the squirrels play
Canoes provided (and oars and life jackets too)
You'll never want to leave!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Laura W
Fairfax, Virginia
“NIce place for a quick vacation”
Reviewed August 11, 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

The cabin is situated right on the river, which was nice. It is a bit small, but was very clean. A good 30 minutes or so from the Shenandoah National Park entrance, but the ride is pretty. You are definitely in the boonies!
In all, we are glad we went but probably won't go back, not because we didn't like the cabin, but we decided we would like to explore other places on future vacations.
A negative note - we were charged extra for our teens (18 and 19) because they were over 18 - did not like that at all. Not sure why - they didn't take up any more space than usual. That was frustrating.

Liked best: riverfront location
Liked least: paying extra for my older teenagers
Traveling group: Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Denise M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Peaceful Haven”
Reviewed August 11, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the cabin. It was neat, clean, and close to the river. Do plan to bring basic kitchen essentials-condiments, plastic wrap, foil, if needed--those were not present at the cabin as expected. It is an idyllic setting, and we were sad we had to leave.

Liked best: Proximity to river
Liked least: Visiting geese and their droppings--but what can you do?
Traveling group: Other
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
MexicoMum...
Mexico City, Mexico
“Perfect Retreat From the City”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 for a stay in May 2014
person found this review helpful

My husband and I were looking to escape the DC metro area and the Bear Valley River cabin was perfect! The reservation process was very organized and timely, which I really appreciated. We were especially thrilled to know that we could bring our two dogs without being charged a fortune. We're responsible pet owners and being able to bring our two boys with us was important. I really appreciate Bear Valley River not taking advantage of this like I've seen at other vacation homes.

Getting to the cabin was easy but be sure to bring all your booze, food and condiments with you because it's kind of haul back to Luray; completely doable but more than a quick run to the store. When we arrived I was thrilled to see that everything was as advertised. The cabin had everything we needed (grill, pots, pans, dish soap, towels, toilet paper, firewood) and a few bonuses we hadn't expected (board games, binoculars). The hot tub was great and on the top deck, which made star gazing even nicer.

The canoes were a bit spider-webby and needed a definite sweeping/rinsing before climbing in. If you plan on taking the canoes out, I'd recommend cleaning them out early to give the spiders time to relocate. Hauling them down to the shore isn't too rough but typically a two-person job. The water access was good but the bank probably isn't the best fishing spot. If you're happy with fishing an activity, not a sport, the bank with probably suit you just fine. The dogs absolutely loved swimming in the river. In general, we were very happy with the river access.

The large grassy area between the cabin and the river was awesome. Our dogs were able to stretch their legs and there was plenty of room to play fetch. There was also plenty of room for sunbathing and games like ladderball or cornhole. The fire pit was also great since it wasn't too far from the wood pile; plus it was huge so we were able to get a good fire going. We didn't take out the mountain bikes but they were ready and waiting if we wanted to give them a spin.

I can't think of anything I was disappointed in. The rate was great and there was plenty to do (or not do if that's your preference). We would definitely book again!

Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: River access
Liked least: Bugs - Not much they could do about them
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Jesse S
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Avoid, would NOT recommend; disappointed with management!”
Reviewed June 5, 2014 for a stay in March 2014
person found this review helpful

I believe this property to be overpriced when you consider the hidden fees. My recent 2-night stay ended up costing $690.47! The cabin is old and everything within it is outdated, including the "luxury jacuzzi" that was only 94 degrees. It is not a Ritz-Carlton, so why pay those kind of prices?!

The fire pit is also located in the middle of the septic field. Our campfire was cut short when our lawn chairs began to sink into the wet ground (it was sunny and 80 degrees that day) and the entire backyard began to smell like raw sewage. We couldn't even walk through the backyard--the septic field takes up >80%; it was a smelly swamp.

Do not overlook sales tax and local lodging tax (>$50). I was also charged an additional $25 per person PER NIGHT for our additional guests for “additional wear and tear.” That’s $50 extra per person!

I agree that the contract is clear regarding additional fees; my disappointment is with the management. I received multiple emails that were rude, untrusting--disagreeing with my replies and accusing me of misusing the property after Josh and I spent 2 hours cleaning up after our stay (i.e., vacuuming, dishes, cleaning surfaces, stripping beds). We left the place cleaner than we found it, yet the fees kept on coming. The emails included snide remarks; I've had more mature conversations with teenagers.

Celebrating Josh's 30th birthday was also interrupted by a local who keeps an eye--a very close eye--on the property. She is very pleasant and had great recommendations, but her multiple visits made us feel unwelcome and was an obvious invasion of privacy.

The river is beautiful. Please visit the river! The water temperature was great, and it was only May! We floated and swam all day. But there are plenty of other rentals around—so find yourself a better deal and avoid Cardigan Cabins. It cost me nearly $700.

I have had over 30 people ask about staying at the cabin after seeing my pictures on Facebook and Instagram. We had a blast on the river! I would recommend a trip to the Shenandoah to everyone and anyone, but I told them all to stay elsewhere and to AVOID Cardigan Cabins!

Liked best: The location
Liked least: The management
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Jun 13, 2014
This guest paid for two guests in a small cabin, but instead had a huge party with 7 cars and an unknown number of extra guests staying the night. This is the first we've heard of septic problems but when you overload a small cabin that way it's not surprising. As the guest pointed out, our policies are clearly stated, and there's good reason for them. If the guest had explained his intentions upfront we would have been able to recommend a larger property more able to accommodate his plans.
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 28, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Management Response
May 28, 2014
The canoe combination lock needed lubrication, we're taking care of that.
Steve4504
“Perfect!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 for a stay in April 2012

The cabin was beautiful and very clean with all the stuff you could ask for. Hot tub was very large and clean, rooms were also very comfortable , very close to river!!

Traveling group: Friends
VA
Reviewed January 16, 2014 for a stay in December 2013

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing