“Excellent dining experience.”

The Purple Door Cafe and Konditorei
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Opened in June 2012, the Purple Door has a full lunch and dinner menu, freshly-baked pastries and desserts, daily specials, and more!
Reviewed June 20, 2014

My sister in law and I spent the day at Luray Caverns. After a fun and active day, we were really hungry. Several folks recommended a Steak House to me, but after checking my TripAdvisor app., we decided on The Purple Door.

The moment we walked in, we were greeted cordially and shown to a table. We were a little baffled, as there weren't any other folks in the place, and while we were there, nobody came in. I found that disappointing, since the whole meal was fantastic.

The service was FAST! My dinner salad was superb... fresh greens, tomatos, diced cucumbers... And the Blue Cheese dressing was loaded with CHUNKS of cheese, not just creamy dressing. I had the salmon and am really picky about my seafood. It didn't taste fishy at all, and was perfectly prepared. The bread was homemade butter rolls, and they melted in our mouths.

For dessert, my sister in law had the Peanut Butter pie. I had a Chocolate/Peanut Butter scone. Mmmmmm!

This restaurant makes it's main money through catering tea-room events upstairs. However, it's a wonderful restaurant and certainly deserves a full-house and patrons. Give it a try!

4  Thank hyker1

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I came here with my brother and boyfriend after going to the caves. We were hungry and the grill at the caves had closed so we found the close place we could. We came at an off hour so it was not busy. We chose it sit outside which was very cozy and pleasant. The food was delicious, by brother especially liked the Asparagus & Cheese Phyllo. I tried a bit of my boyfriends mashed potatoes and they were excellent. The salad was fresh. It was more then the typical iceberg lettuce, single tomato, and slice of cuc. I got the mango dressing which was delicious. I also got the Baked Macaroni which was ok. I was expecting something with a bite but I did not taste the spice.

The owner introduced himself as he walked into the restaurant while we were waiting for our food. He then checked in on us after we got our food, which was a good thing because it started to rain and he offered to let us out the back door where our car was parked.

Overall good atmosphere, great food, friendly staff.

2  Thank prancer95
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. Salads were crisp and fresh and there was warm bread on the table. Nice selection of main courses and you need to save room for the delicious deserts. It was a nice change from the standard chain restaurants.

2  Thank Stickbuilt
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We drove past the Purple Door Cafe and decided to enjoy lunch there on a whim. The cafe is bright and cheerful and very well-kept. Our server was our chef as well. He had developed many of the day's specials on his own and they bowled us over! I wanted to devour an entire second plate of the very same meal I'd originally ordered. Don't skip dessert either. It was a thoroughly enjoyable meal.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Decor - Unique & Entertaining especially the walkway and outdoor dining area. Indoor area quite lovely &; Staff - Very attentive & Quick; Food - Absolutely fantastic. From the special appetizers to the fresh plentiful salads with warm rolls to the creatively delectable entrees to the desserts to good to share order your own - This is a not to be missed restaurant!! Luray residents are lucky to have this special eatery. The rest of have a great excuse to visit more often.

1  Thank FansofDisney