“Great Find”

The Purple Door Cafe and Konditorei
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Opened in June 2012, the Purple Door has a full lunch and dinner menu, freshly-baked pastries and desserts, daily specials, and more!
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I came here with my brother and boyfriend after going to the caves. We were hungry and the grill at the caves had closed so we found the close place we could. We came at an off hour so it was not busy. We chose it sit outside which was very cozy and pleasant. The food was delicious, by brother especially liked the Asparagus & Cheese Phyllo. I tried a bit of my boyfriends mashed potatoes and they were excellent. The salad was fresh. It was more then the typical iceberg lettuce, single tomato, and slice of cuc. I got the mango dressing which was delicious. I also got the Baked Macaroni which was ok. I was expecting something with a bite but I did not taste the spice.

The owner introduced himself as he walked into the restaurant while we were waiting for our food. He then checked in on us after we got our food, which was a good thing because it started to rain and he offered to let us out the back door where our car was parked.

Overall good atmosphere, great food, friendly staff.

2  Thank prancer95

Reviewed June 10, 2014

The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. Salads were crisp and fresh and there was warm bread on the table. Nice selection of main courses and you need to save room for the delicious deserts. It was a nice change from the standard chain restaurants.

2  Thank Stickbuilt
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We drove past the Purple Door Cafe and decided to enjoy lunch there on a whim. The cafe is bright and cheerful and very well-kept. Our server was our chef as well. He had developed many of the day's specials on his own and they bowled us over! I wanted to devour an entire second plate of the very same meal I'd originally ordered. Don't skip dessert either. It was a thoroughly enjoyable meal.

Reviewed May 31, 2014

Decor - Unique & Entertaining especially the walkway and outdoor dining area. Indoor area quite lovely &; Staff - Very attentive & Quick; Food - Absolutely fantastic. From the special appetizers to the fresh plentiful salads with warm rolls to the creatively delectable entrees to the desserts to good to share order your own - This is a not to be missed restaurant!! Luray residents are lucky to have this special eatery. The rest of have a great excuse to visit more often.

1  Thank FansofDisney
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Please take my advice and DO NOT go eat here! Can I give this place -1 stars???? Heres why...

1. When arriving at the restaurant we open the door to go in and it smelled like pure food. There probably isn't proper ventilation in the house. So we decided to eat outside on the porch. Our table was never wiped down from the previous guest that sat there.
2. We order the salmon with honey glazed sauces for our entrée which came with a small salad and a side of mash potato. We also order the mushroom stuff crabmeat for our appetizer . The salmon taste like they precook frozen salmon and then placed it on the grilled, coated it with honey and salt and pepper. It was not fresh or marinated well. very bland. The mushroom with crabmeat was small (came in 5 pieces for $8) overpriced! There was no crab meat whatsoever in it. Taste like mushroom with cheese. The salmon came with a side of mash potato which tasted like boiled potato mashed with salt. It taste like NOTHING! I could have made better.
3. When we let the manager know how we did not like the way the food taste or was cooked he seemed very insulted and ask us "What would you like me to do about it?". I told him that I would pay for the salad which was what we had eaten and I thought that was fair. He then said, "I'm not going to deal with this, you can just leave". He went into the house and shut the door behind him. My husband and I looked at each other and was astounded! Never had we been treated with this type of service.
4. A friend of mines who knows the people that owns the restaurant said that they actually change chef and the mother who was once managing or cooking is no longer there. This must be why this place is going down hill

STAY AWAY!