“New management...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Purple Door Cafe and Konditorei - CLOSED

The Purple Door Cafe and Konditorei
Cuisines: American, Soups
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Opened in June 2012, the Purple Door has a full lunch and dinner menu, freshly-baked pastries and desserts, daily specials, and more!
sylkai
“New management...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend, niece and I had a very pleasant dining experience at the Purple Door Cafe. It started a little scary when my 7 year old niece ordered macaroni & cheese and it wasn't quite up-to-her standards. The manager, Jaime was quick to offer his apologies and was more than happy to rectify the dish. The steak we ordered was very good, as well as the desserts. Being from NY we are accustomed to different standards, and Jaime & The Purple Door cafe were up to par. We will go back next time we are in Luray.

Visited September 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
“Promising restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

I had dinner with my partner during a several night stay in Luray, at the recommendation of the proprietor of the inn where we stayed. Purple is beautifully renovated and has inviting and pleasant ambiance inside. Our server was incredibly friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, the food and wine were the weak point. We skipped over the appetizers because there were only two choices sounded too heavy - a bruschetta and an artichoke dip, both of which of course are heavy on bread. The salads preceding the main courses were unremarkable, fresh but with relatively bland dressing. The "spicy" chipotle beef was bland, and the vegetables accompanying it were cooked properly but also no particular flavor. The second main dish we shared made no impression and I can't even remember what it was.

The wine list also disappointed. Featuring only Virginia wines, of which we're somewhat familiar living in VA ourselves, we erred to the side of adventure and ordered the most expensive bottle of red, and even at just a little over $30 (relatively cheap for a restaurant sold wine) it was not very good.

The place holds promise but I think they need to get somebody in to help them improve their menus, as the food and wine selections do not live up to the attractive and inviting setting that the nicely renovated home provides.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank DCskippy
Colonial Heights, Virginia
“Great little place!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We really enjoyed our dinner here, although it was a little pricey for what we got. My husband and I agreed that the spinach artichoke appetizer was the best part of the meal! My chicken breast with mushrooms and wrapped in pastry was also delicious. The sole disappointment was my husband's seafood au gratin entree. The cheese was a little "funky" for him. All in all, a cute little place in a cute little town.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Maryland
“I love unique places like this!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

This place was awesome! Stopped in on a Sunday afternoon for lunch. Had the "Local Cruiser" which was a roast beef, provolone cheese, onions with horse radish sauce panini. I had read about their Green Acres soup here, so had to try a cup. Wow, everything tasted great. It's rare for me to get desert but again after reading reviews I wanted to try their frozen chocolate peanut butter pie.. wow that was great too. Waitress was very friendly, helpful and quick, she was hustling all over the place keeping up with guests. Menu was not limited as I have read in reviews, its just got some unique items. Suggest you visit their website and look over menu before going. I am a picky eater and there was a ton of stuff on the menu that I would have no problem trying. Its not the cheapest, but if thats what you want, go find a fast food joint. This is quality food. I want to try breakfast next time!

• Visited August 2013
Luray, Virginia, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very pricey for what you get.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I had the chicken salad sandwich and itwas very good. But iI wasn't impressed with the potato salad or the portions.

• Visited August 2013