“A modern hotel with Old World Elegance”
Review of The Mimslyn Inn

The Mimslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Fredericksburg, VA
“A modern hotel with Old World Elegance”
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Overall, we had an excellent experience at the Mimslyn Inn. The room, we stayed in a Blue Ridge Room on the 3rd floor, reminded me of hotels where I've stayed in some of the larger cities of Europe. I especially enjoyed the "no fuss" remote controlled fireplace, and the jetted tub. The bed was extremely comfortable. I only rated the service a 4 because there was a minor incident where I called room service with only about 5 minutes to spare before they closed. I asked if they would still be able to send hot chocolate to the room and they assured me they would. An hour and several phone calls to room service later, I had to give up on the hot chocolate. Also, I thought the price was rather high, $235/night, for being off season, but they did give a slight discount because I was there to attend a wedding at the hotel. I would stay there again, and would recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a romantic, elegant hotel experience in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed January 1, 2010

The inn looks like a southern plantation sitting on a hill. It is beautifully restored inside and out. The front desk persons were friendly and helpful. We entered one of the beautiful suites and were greeted by freezing cold air; it definitely distracted us from our lovely surroundings. Since we had a reservation, it would have been so much nicer if the heat had been turned on before our arrival. The gas fireplace did not work but it was quickly fixed. While waiting for the room to warm up we checked out the only hotel restaurant that was open, Speakeasy. It is a sports bar type restaurant with three TVs. We did decide to eat there and the food and service were excellent. Our room had a very comfortable king bed with very nice linens. The bathroom was large with two sinks, a jet tub, magnifying mirror and best of all a ceiling heater to warm you when you stepped out of the shower. The night light did not work. The large bath towels were wonderfully soft. Robes were provided. If you are a light sleeper, the noise from the wall heater/air conditioner may bother you.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed December 28, 2009

I am a regular business traveler and the Mimslyn has quickly become my favorite place to stay anywhere. It's without a doubt the best place to stay within 30-miles of Luray. Comfortable, quiet, great porch, service; must try the Speakeasy and both the breakfast & lunch buffets in Circa '31.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Baltimore
Reviewed December 23, 2009

I traveled to Luray for business. I enjoyed my stay immensely. It was a refreshing change from chain hotels. Dinner at the Speakeasy was delicious. Every staff memeber that I spoke with was friendly. I look forward to staying at the Mimslyn Inn each and every time I come to Luray.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed December 21, 2009

We stayed here only one night as a stopover on a longer trip. The off-season rate made this an unbeatable choice for our trip. We were able to get a 2 room suite so that we could put our 8 month old to bed and enjoy dinner in our living space. The hotel is beautiful and has a great historic feel to it. We enjoyed a great multi-course dinner from the Speakeasy restaurant in the hotel. Circa 31 was not open for dinner on the night we were there. The Speakeasy had a wonderful off-season special as well, and we ate more than our fill for a VERY reasonable price. Breakfast in Circa 31 was good and reasonably priced. Someone who pays a full price for the same room we stayed in might notice the lack of attention to maintenance details. However, we were VERY pleased with our stay and the accomodations as they are.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Washington, DC area
Reviewed December 17, 2009

If you want to just forget it all for a weekend, try the Mimslyn Inn. By the time you have traveled the back roads to get there, you have already begun to relax. The Mimslyn is a newly renovated quaint Virginia grand inn. It begins with a grand porch to welcome you and, as soon as you enter, the staff is helpful and pleasant. The rooms are lovely and the bed is great, not always the fact at such inns. The restaurant and bar downstairs are both wonderful, each catering to those different needs. Sunday brunch had live piano player to add ambiance. While we did not try the spa, it looks like we will next time there. There is something to do in the area, if you wish, or not if you came to just hole up. Certainly the Mimslyn is a great place to sit before the fire and enjoy the Sunday paper. We will return!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
NC
Reviewed December 15, 2009

One night stay with wife on a business trip. Staff was extremely friendly and professional. Dinner at Circa 31 restaurant in the hotel was excellent and reasonably priced as well as fabulous breakfast in the dining room. Room was clean and very well appointed however I selected a small room with a Queen bed that was a little tight, suggest a visitor spend a little more and select a larger room if staying for more than one night. Luray Caverns is just around the corner from the hotel and well worth the visit. Overall this hotel exceeded my expectations and I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
Best Western Intown Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!