“A Great Get-Away Weekend”
Review of The Mimslyn Inn

The Mimslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Washington, DC area
“A Great Get-Away Weekend”
Reviewed December 17, 2009

If you want to just forget it all for a weekend, try the Mimslyn Inn. By the time you have traveled the back roads to get there, you have already begun to relax. The Mimslyn is a newly renovated quaint Virginia grand inn. It begins with a grand porch to welcome you and, as soon as you enter, the staff is helpful and pleasant. The rooms are lovely and the bed is great, not always the fact at such inns. The restaurant and bar downstairs are both wonderful, each catering to those different needs. Sunday brunch had live piano player to add ambiance. While we did not try the spa, it looks like we will next time there. There is something to do in the area, if you wish, or not if you came to just hole up. Certainly the Mimslyn is a great place to sit before the fire and enjoy the Sunday paper. We will return!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
NC
Reviewed December 15, 2009

One night stay with wife on a business trip. Staff was extremely friendly and professional. Dinner at Circa 31 restaurant in the hotel was excellent and reasonably priced as well as fabulous breakfast in the dining room. Room was clean and very well appointed however I selected a small room with a Queen bed that was a little tight, suggest a visitor spend a little more and select a larger room if staying for more than one night. Luray Caverns is just around the corner from the hotel and well worth the visit. Overall this hotel exceeded my expectations and I recommend it.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Long Island, NY
Reviewed December 10, 2009

This is a very pretty place with a lovely lobby and a nice restaurant. Beware that if you are a vegetarian, you will have a problem here. Very little choice. Even the pasta is made in chicken broth but the chef offered to make pasta primevera without using the broth.
Our room was very pretty, albeit small. We had a corner room so it was nice to have alot of light from the windows. My husband had a spa treatment - it was not inexpensive by any means and not really worth it.

Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia
Reviewed December 8, 2009

My husband and I stayed here one night before Thanksgiving. From the moment we arrived, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the inside and outside of the hotel was beautiful. We ate at the Speakeasy which was okay, but the breakfast at Circa '31 the next morning was wonderful. We got a package deal, which we thought was a great value. The whole time we were there, it was very quiet and relaxing. Our room was large and the upgrades were very nice while still maintaining an historical appearance. We can't wait to go back. We started planning out return trip before we ever left!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbia, MD
Reviewed December 1, 2009

What a pleaseure it was to visit this hotel post-renovation. My expectations were exceeded beyond belief. You will not be disappointed with anything about your stay. I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Virginia
Reviewed November 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Inn for two days, one of which was Thanksgiving. We were quite pleased by the appearance and decor of the hotel. The cuisine at the main dining room (Circa 31) as well as in the more casual l Speakeasy Pub was very good and reasonably price. The service was fine in the Circa 31 and a little less so in the Speakeasy.

We enjoyed our suite. The bath was quite large and nicely appointed although the jets in the tub were not working. The bedroom and lounge area were attractive and nicely furnished though on the small side. The mattress and bedding were most comfortable. We found the noise level to be most conductive for a good night sleep.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Jimsims, General Manager at The Mimslyn Inn, responded to this review, November 29, 2009
Greetings,

Thank you ever so much for your nice comments about your recent visit with us.
Thanksgiving is a great time to visit The Mimslyn and all the area has to offer.
I immediatly inspectect the suite and found the instruction card missing from the vanity.
The switch for the spa jets look as if its a part of the tub. The card explains how to turn the power on and off. The missing card has been replaced . I am so sorry for the inconvience. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
Pleae contact me personally for your resverations for a future vist . I will make sure everything is perfect.

Jim Sims
New York
Reviewed November 21, 2009

It has been my pleasure to find a beautifully restored old inn in Luray, Virginia. Since I travel from New York to Virginia once every two months to visit my mother in a local nursing facility, I find it most comfortable after a long trip to spend two nights at the Mimslyn. I especially appreciate the lovely lobby with a welcoming fire in its central fireplace. Other great features are dining facilities, fresh baked pastries, juice and coffee for early risers, and the beautiful rooms. The staff has always treated me like a favored quest. I look forward to returning again and again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
Best Western Intown Luray
Days Inn Luray Shenandoah
Hampton Inn & Suites Woodstock
Holiday Inn Express Woodstock / Shenandoah Valley

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!