“Terrific”
Review of The Mimslyn Inn

The Mimslyn Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Luray
Reviewed October 24, 2008

We were mainly coming Luray to do some hiking in the national park. We came into town with the plan to find a budget hotel, only criteria was: wireless internet, and clean. As we came down Main St, we saw the Mimslyn on the hill, and immediately felt it was WAY out of our price range. The tall white columns gave a really elegant appearance. Well, as we were doing a bit of an internet search, we found they had rooms starting at ~$130! I called, and found that we could get a queen "historic" room, and they gave a AAA discount.
The inside was as elegant as the outside. The lobby and stairway are beautiful and well decorated. The staff was fantastic, and very courteous. The room was small, but very nicely decorated, and the bed was fantastically comfy. They have a nice little lawn behind, with shrubs and benches for private sitting, as well as a open terrace on the top floor, connected with a very pretty and pleasant sitting room for reading or visiting. There is an outdoor pool and hot tub, and a small but well equipped workout room on the lower level.
They had a delicious breakfast buffet. The view of the mountains is priceless.
I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed October 22, 2008

A very nice hotel, terrific service all around. We were not entirely crazy about the restaurants, but they are obviously trying hard. We booked a package which included breakfast (actually credit towards breakfast in the dining room, or the breakfast buffet) and $75 credit towards dinner in either restaurant. The "fancy" restaurant, Circa 31, was nice enough as was the more casual place downstairs, called the Speakeasy. However, both menus seemed extremely limited. In all fairness, the food at the buffet was above average, fresh and kept replenished. Standard breakfast offerings included eggs, pancakes, bacon and sausage, plus biscuits with sausage gravy. There was a good variety of cold items including cereal and milk, fruit, hard boiled eggs, yogurts, muffins, etc. Our dinner in the Speakeasy was very good but our server seemed rushed off her feet. The place is small and it was totally full, seemed to have only 2 servers. Overall a very nice place, clean and quiet.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2008

Went to Luray to attend a wedding and was fortunate enough to stay in the Mimslyn. The property went through a recent renovation and they did a fantastic job in restoring the hotel to its original granduer. In addition to the property being wonderful, the staff could not make a guest feel more welcome to the Inn. I would say that when visiting Luray you have one option in lodging - The Mimslyn Inn.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Garcia12345
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The staff were great and the rooms are lovely. The food and service in the Circa 31 restaurant in particular was really excellent. It was nice that they had a special focus on Virginia wine. I made arrangements for a special cake with which to surprise my husband and they managed it beautifully.

A couple of things which could be improved:
- equal rights for tea drinkers! The in-room coffee maker was too inundated with coffee to use to make tea and there was no tea available at the self-service continental breakfast.
- I'm okay with faux fireplaces when they are gas, but the one in our suite was electric, with the flickering of fake fire. One could just have the special effects or one could add some forced air heat. Frankly, I'd rather do without the fireplace altogether and added extra closet space than to have had this.
- continued staff training, particularly for junior staff. The caliber of senior staff and management was very high; it just needs to trickle down a bit.

These points are minor in comparison with how much we enjoyed our entire stay. I enjoyed the spa as well with massage and reflexology.

Clearly the renovation has been a big success and the management are keen to continue to improve in every way. I offered a couple of comments to them as we were preparing to check out and they were already discussing them with senior management before we departed!

The Mimslyn Inn is a wonderful destination for relaxation and celebration. I know we'll be back!

Reviewed August 27, 2008

My husband and I booked a night during a weekend with his parents. The hotel has, as everyone said, been totally renovated. Everything was modern and new, but still retained charm. The rooms are very small, but have larger bathrooms.

The few kinks:
- My in-laws had sugar ants in their bathroom.
- The service: While everyone was polite, the service was not "good." We had to wait for our rooms to be ready. We ate at the pub downstairs. We had a long wait for the drinks and appetizer at the bar, so decided to get a table. Service there was extremely slow as well. The guys ate their meal, but my mother-in-law and I had the panini, which was inedible (we're not that picky). The waitress agreed, and took them off the bill.

In short: the hotel was quite nice, but they still have a long way to go with improving service. Although they were hospitable, they need to deliver on service.

Reviewed August 25, 2008

My husband and I practically "stumbled" into this wonderful small hotel while traveling to Blacksburg, without a reservation. While it was more expensive than we usually pay, it was worth it. The hotel was beautifully renovated and our room, while small, was comfortable and well appointed. The staff was friendly, helpful, charming. We enjoyed a delicious dinner in the Circa 1931 dinning room and were able to use the gym facilities and pool in the morning.

We enjoyed our one night stay so much that we decided to return the following weekend, on our trip back home. This time, we relaxed for two days, again enjoying the tasty food as well as the surroundings.

We visited Luray Caverns and the New Market Battlefield, an interesting addition to the Civil War sights. The towns of Luray and New Market had plenty of antique shops and a few tasty local restaurants. This is a very nice place for a weekend retreat.

We will gladly return if our travels take us in the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I stayed a the Mimslyn Inn for a quiet weekend, and we had a very nice time. We stayed in one of the smaller rooms and found it to be clean and neat. I ate at the breakfast buffet on Saturday morning; what a bargain at 10 dollars! We also ate dinner at Circa 31 which was delicious. The brunch on Sunday was also nice. I have to say the highlight of the weekend was the massage with Bonnie. What a relaxing experience! I have been to many more expensive spas in the DC/Maryland area; but Bonnie takes the cake!
Additionally, I really found all of the staff to be extremely helpful. They went out of their way and even helped us with extraordinary requests. I was especially impressed with the fact that even the younger staff were polite and professional. How often does that happen?

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Luray
Hotel Laurance
#5 of 9 in Luray
Skyland
Skyland
#1 of 1 in Shenandoah National Park

Been to The Mimslyn Inn? Share your experiences!